Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Hi! Is it with current release from Openelec site already possible to install ATV release f.e. on USB pen or. are you who are talking here about openelec release using some beta closed release?

TNX
kcarney Wrote:Vaporware?

I know those guys are working hard on it, so cut them some slack. Or you could do it yourself - they're doing some heavy hacking Wink.
illiac4 Wrote:Hi! Is it with current release from Openelec site already possible to install ATV release f.e. on USB pen or. are you who are talking here about openelec release using some beta closed release?

TNX

None of current release available from OpenElec download section will boot on the ATV right of the box.

But, somebody is working on a howto. :-)
tintamarre Wrote:None of current release available from OpenElec download section will boot on the ATV right of the box.

But, somebody is working on a howto. :-)

I put an alpha how-to up. This is for Mac OS X but it's basically the same for windows. I will write a windows one up maybe today, if I can find a windows machine around my apartment. Smile

http://openelec.tv/index.php?option=com_...Itemid=426
Yeah looking forward to a build that works. The Apple TV just sits on my table laughing at me Smile
can't wait to see this as a good stable base for ATV XBMC
It is not a stable base. A while back I threw an atv-bootloader recov partition round the image and fired it up on aTV. I don't think it is really any better than minimal Ubuntu. The Arch distro is definitely better. I say that not as a disrespect to OpenELEC which has its uses and is extremely minimal, but as a fact. OpenELEC is not for the aTV platform -but I'm sure it's got its uses elsewhere.
A little Christmas present from Santa, OpenELEC has now a stable Beta for ATV!
I might backup my Arch install and see how this works out Smile.

I'm curious if and how they managed to work around the OS X boot loading problem though Smile.
hello everyone.

I have got the OpenELEC.tv AppleTV public beta up and running and have an .IMG of a 4GB USB stick which is ready to be restored and booted up on *your* AppleTV Big Grin

I can also give instructions on how to install it yourself (requires Windows and Linux, an Ubuntu LiveCD is the easiest option if you don't have a Linux machine), and _C4_ already has a guide up for how to install it on a Mac.

So guys, give me some feedback about what you'd like - I can upload the USB image, it's about 1.5GB compressed and is under the size of a 4GB stick by a few hundred MB, but I have no where to host it.

If anyone wants the instructions, I can do a proper write-up and give throw that up somewhere.

It's a very very fast running OS, even just running from a USB stick, and I've had no issues. Seems rock solid whereas I had system crashes using the various Ubuntu images. Because the OS uses so little RAM, videos load a lot quicker and, especially for HD stuff, it loads a lot quicker with less buffering/shuttering.

So yeah, lemme know what you all want!

And thanks for an awesome release, OpenELEC! Big Grin
To tell you the truth I just want Component video. I'm gasping to give this a shot because I'm convinced it's the memory load that's causing the most issues with 1080p playback, so I'm keen to see what this can do.

But Component isn't available in this version, so we'll see just how tight Sam can get his Ubuntu image Smile
fistacorpse Wrote:hello everyone.

I have got the OpenELEC.tv AppleTV public beta up and running and have an .IMG of a 4GB USB stick which is ready to be restored and booted up on *your* AppleTV Big Grin

I can also give instructions on how to install it yourself (requires Windows and Linux, an Ubuntu LiveCD is the easiest option if you don't have a Linux machine), and _C4_ already has a guide up for how to install it on a Mac.

So guys, give me some feedback about what you'd like - I can upload the USB image, it's about 1.5GB compressed and is under the size of a 4GB stick by a few hundred MB, but I have no where to host it.

If anyone wants the instructions, I can do a proper write-up and give throw that up somewhere.

It's a very very fast running OS, even just running from a USB stick, and I've had no issues. Seems rock solid whereas I had system crashes using the various Ubuntu images. Because the OS uses so little RAM, videos load a lot quicker and, especially for HD stuff, it loads a lot quicker with less buffering/shuttering.

So yeah, lemme know what you all want!

And thanks for an awesome release, OpenELEC! Big Grin

Very interested! Try dropbox? Or megaupload/others...

Great if it came with a guide too!
I am also interested in trying this.
I got a 10/10 Mbit connection so perphaps I can host it for a while.
Need to host it with http dl from an XP machine so I guess thats a max 10 concurrent downloads though.
Drop me a PM if I can help.
"Experimental CrystalHD support added to the Apple TV image, at the moment no support for FullHD content"

I'll be holding out a little longer then, to replace my ASRock with my ATV
Guys, i'm trying to install OpenELEC on my ATV using this guide http://unstdio.org/openelec-on-atv/ and i get an error

cannot open '/boot/KERNEL' : stream error

any idea how to fix this? Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14