Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I got impatient and tired of waiting so I threw the crystalbuntu image on my atv and it runs pretty good, other then issues with wmvhd files seems to work great. I still have to enable dds and tweak a bit though.
dismal Wrote:I got impatient and tired of waiting so I threw the crystalbuntu image on my atv and it runs pretty good, other then issues with wmvhd files seems to work great. I still have to enable dds and tweak a bit though.

Of course you have to enable DDS Smile, you must customise it to support your hardware -- I turned it off because I did not want people asking why they can't hear sound when they play their TV
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Of course you have to enable DDS Smile, you must customise it to support your hardware -- I turned it off because I did not want people asking why they can't hear sound when they play their TV

Would LOVE to turn on DDS but due to running off stick... ahhhh no.
Used it when running OSx on internal drive and it REALLY made a difference. But Linux on stick still beats the performance.

**EDIT** Are we talkin DDS (images), or Dolby Digital Sound here.... Huh
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Of course you have to enable DDS Smile, you must customise it to support your hardware -- I turned it off because I did not want people asking why they can't hear sound when they play their TV

lol, yeah I am going to give it a shot here but I am just converting one of my hd wmvs to divxHD to see if it works better on my atv. I can't use mkvs because I also use an xbox360 in another room as another media player.
JDizzy Wrote:Would LOVE to turn on DDS but due to running off stick... ahhhh no.
Used it when running OSx on internal drive and it REALLY made a difference. But Linux on stick still beats the performance.

**EDIT** Are we talkin DDS (images), or Dolby Digital Sound here.... Huh

Sorry. Meant DTS. As for DDS fanart, you can use it. If you're worried about space, symlink a directory to a network share and do it that way - I do it this way to sync with a MySQL db between three XBMC installs and it's fine. I see the benefits of DDS fanart despite not housing the files locally.
Any progress on an ATV version of OpenELEC?

And can anyone who has had the generic Intel build up and running provide any guidance?

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Sorry. Meant DTS. As for DDS fanart, you can use it. If you're worried about space, symlink a directory to a network share and do it that way - I do it this way to sync with a MySQL db between three XBMC installs and it's fine. I see the benefits of DDS fanart despite not housing the files locally.

Hello Sam. You've done so much to improve my ATV/XBMC life already....really your image is great for me...solid, stable and speedy. Thank you again.

Any chance you could elaborate on this little symlink trick. I have used symlink on my old iMac to link a directory of movies for streaming, but I am a loss about how it may help me under Ubuntu on the ATV. This makes lots of sense to store the big DDS images somewhere else.

Sadly, I don't really know what a MySQL db is either.

If I can get DDS images working on your CrystalBuntu install, I will be truly happy man, and I may never need the leave my house again!.

Cheers,

Craig
bigjuggler Wrote:Any chance you could elaborate on this little symlink trick.
This makes lots of sense to store the big DDS images somewhere else.

If I can get DDS images working on your CrystalBuntu install, I will be truly happy man, and I may never need the leave my house again!.

Ditto...
I just Googled it and now have a headache....

I know you enable DDS in the advancedsettings file, but let's say you want to tell XBMC that the file is located on your internal ATV drive (preferably), or a NAS.

Where would the file DDS be stored on the stick so you can make it link to the ATV or NAS?
Also, would anyone know what the file path would be to a good directory on the ATV that would be accessable from the stick?
Can someone please write how to install on USB pen so it can be usable in ATV.

Does component video output works and audio stereo?
Guys, just create a symlink to an UNC path (Google it), and then whenever XBMC writes DDS images to the Thumbnails directory it is actually writing it to somewhere else on the network. This gets rid of the USB throughput bottleneck, and as far as XBMC is concerned it is still getting data off the stick so the IO operation is transparent except to Linux. This allows you to redirect the stdout basically.
Sorry for juming in. I am a new user of XBMC on ATV. I have used XBMC on the old gen I Xbox for ages.
I am currently running ATV with Atvflash SW.
Is there a benefit (performance or other) for me to move to a Linux dist on the ATV even though I dont have a ChrystalHD card ?
Yes. You can get 1080i MPEG2 decoding with better performance. You also get a more flexible system.
Thanks, I guess I have to try it out.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Guys, just create a symlink to an UNC path (Google it)

My problem is not really knowing what the path is to my storage...Huh

When I create the symlink, I can see the shortcut it creates in my XBMC directory where the Thumbnails folder was (I renamed the Thumbnails folder to Thumbnails.old).

I am trying to make it look at Thumbnails folder I copied to NAS where movies, etc. are located..
I looked in my XBMC 'Sources' file and saw that XBMC used this naming convention to access movie folders:
smb://network address:pport//Movies/Genre/Movie_name (those smileys screw things up, at any rate that is a colon then port#)

If I can figure out what path to give to the symlink to get to the NAS, I can figure it out from there (I have tried many combinations!)

The command I used in terminal was:
ln -s new_pathname old_pathname

As I said, it is creating the shortcut so the 'old_pathname' part seems to be correct. XBMC just can not see my new Thumbnails location.... Thanks!
Vaporware?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14