Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should have told him to read all 69 pages and then ask again. Wink
Going back a few pages. What is the issue with end product skin size? Why may I ask is everybody going nuts if it is over 300MB+? I Don't see it as an issue unless you are worry about bandwidth on the repo going over budget! I Don't mind downloading 1GB for a good looking product. And I am sure not many else will. Lets face it. It's only 1 torrented (don't tell me you don't do it) movies worth when you think about it.
Oddsodz Wrote:Going back a few pages. What is the issue with end product skin size? Why may I ask is everybody going nuts if it is over 300MB+? I Don't see it as an issue unless you are worry about bandwidth on the repo going over budget! I Don't mind downloading 1GB for a good looking product. And I am sure not many else will. Lets face it. It's only 1 torrented (don't tell me you don't do it) movies worth when you think about it.

As you said, getting it in the official repo is the issue. I don't think most people would have an issue downloading a large file (except Canadians, apparently) but the exposure and "officiall-ness" (feel free to use that word, I made it up and its licensed open source) are very attractive ways to get exposure for the skin.

Otherwise, if the size keeps us out (my guess is a bandwidth issue for the xbmc mirror) then we would have to look at an unofficial repo (passion-xbmc comes to mind) or just releasing it as a straight download.

But, as ronie pointed out, we are quite a ways from release and plenty to happen between here and there.
lol, we already overload bandwith on passion !
What about finishing the movie/tv/actor/director parts, and releasing that first, then doing music and pictures later?

/sneaky attempt by a video-only user to get the skin sooner...
nice try, but i think you can keep the line Wink
clock2113 Wrote:What about finishing the movie/tv/actor/director parts, and releasing that first, then doing music and pictures later?

/sneaky attempt by a video-only user to get the skin sooner...

Nice try Smile but there are lots of parts that still aren't finished in the video section.

Besides, I know everyone has been waiting on this view to be finished... Wink

AND... we are packing SO much good stuff into the music section, maybe we will get a convert Wink

Finished, art to ronie.

There is a script somewhere that downloads banners, right? I don't have any to test out and really don't like the idea of going and manually getting them for all 300 some odd of my shows.
hum...
you disapoint me Blacklist, please see my sign...

lol
ppic Wrote:hum...
you disapoint me Blacklist, please see my sign...

lol

As far as I am concerned, when it comes to wondering if an addon exists, I like to use the phrase, "PPIC has a script for that" Smile
A Buffy logo on Caprica? Come on Blacklist, get it right in the mockups! Big Grin
blacklist Wrote:There is a script somewhere that downloads banners, right? I don't have any to test out and really don't like the idea of going and manually getting them for all 300 some odd of my shows.

might be a good time to start a discussion on banners in skins...

what would users prefer?
-use a skin hack to show banner.jpg images
cons: you need to use a third party app to download them or you have to manually rename the the show thumbs

-stick with default xbmc standards (ie folder.jpg)
pros: will work right out of the box with the default scraper.
ronie Wrote:might be a good time to start a discussion on banners in skins...

what would users prefer?
-use a skin hack to show banner.jpg images
cons: you need to use a third party app to download them or you have to manually rename the the show thumbs

-stick with default xbmc standards (ie folder.jpg)
pros: will work right out of the box with the default scraper.

I prefer the first option since I also need the same third party app to download the tv show logo.
stoli Wrote:A Buffy logo on Caprica? Come on Blacklist, get it right in the mockups! Big Grin

hmmm...i'm more worried about showing mediaflags at tv show level...
ronie Wrote:hmmm...i'm more worried about showing mediaflags at tv show level...

About all I can think is that you can compare to Studio and show if the show is "available" in HD.