Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Library watchdog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, i thought library watchdog was the addon i needed, but in fact, there's a little problem.... It seems that it doesn't like accentuated filenames. For example, i've got one one folder named "Séries" for TV shows, and it keeps telling me that the folder doesn't exist...
If this could be fixed, it would be perfect...
(2013-05-26, 21:58)devkid Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a logfile of how it looks when shutting down XBMC and the watchdog service is not able to shutdown in time. XBMC seems to wait for 5 seconds and then kills it. XBMC hangs within those 5 seconds.

Code:
21:50:18 T:140575892768576   ERROR: XBPyThread::stop - script /storage/.xbmc/addons/service.watchdog/service.py didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it

Complete log:
http://pastebin.com/eFE7ZL5r

So it "hangs" for 5 seconds then xbmc exists cleanly? That's not an issue.
Well, XBMC grants a grace time of 5 seconds for addons to shut down themselfs cleanly. If they do not manage to do that within time XBMC just kills the thread which CAN result in unclosed handles etc. So I think XBMC does classify that as an issue which is indicated by the loglevel "ERROR" which you can see in the log.
Also I think those 5 seconds grace period are setup for each addon individually. Meaning if you have for example 5 of such addons which do not close correctly XBMC will hang for 25 seconds before shutting down.
(2013-05-27, 13:39)devkid Wrote: [ -> ]Well, XBMC grants a grace time of 5 seconds for addons to shut down themselfs cleanly. If they do not manage to do that within time XBMC just kills the thread which CAN result in unclosed handles etc. So I think XBMC does classify that as an issue which is indicated by the loglevel "ERROR" which you can see in the log.
Also I think those 5 seconds grace period are setup for each addon individually. Meaning if you have for example 5 of such addons which do not close correctly XBMC will hang for 25 seconds before shutting down.

First of all: this only applies to network locations. Anything local should exit well within 5 seconds so there will not be any 'unclosed handles' since everything else goes through xbmcvfs. Patches welcome but I think there is not much hope for being able to terminate the network polling in less than 5 seconds for multiple reasons. One being that a single call to xbmcvfs may take several seconds. And it will not interupt any calls until the 5 seconds have passed. Now you're already out of time..
(2013-05-27, 02:47)Araldwenn Wrote: [ -> ]Well, i thought library watchdog was the addon i needed, but in fact, there's a little problem.... It seems that it doesn't like accentuated filenames. For example, i've got one one folder named "Séries" for TV shows, and it keeps telling me that the folder doesn't exist...
Any chance to have an answer or of fix for that problem.
My media folders :
HD->watched
Sagas->watched
Films->watched
Suites->watched
Séries->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Séries 2->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Dessins animés->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Dessins animés série->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Concerts->watched
Albums->watched
Albums complets->watched

All are locally stored, the only common thing i can see is that all not watched folder have accentuated letters in their names.
Even if this problem could be solved by changing the folders names, i think it would be really better if there was a fix for the addon.
(2013-05-29, 01:47)Araldwenn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-27, 02:47)Araldwenn Wrote: [ -> ]Well, i thought library watchdog was the addon i needed, but in fact, there's a little problem.... It seems that it doesn't like accentuated filenames. For example, i've got one one folder named "Séries" for TV shows, and it keeps telling me that the folder doesn't exist...
Any chance to have an answer or of fix for that problem.
My media folders :
HD->watched
Sagas->watched
Films->watched
Suites->watched
Séries->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Séries 2->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Dessins animés->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Dessins animés série->Not watched (for library watchdog, folder does not exist)
Concerts->watched
Albums->watched
Albums complets->watched

All are locally stored, the only common thing i can see is that all not watched folder have accentuated letters in their names.
Even if this problem could be solved by changing the folders names, i think it would be really better if there was a fix for the addon.

This have been discussed before. It doesn't work because your paths are encoded in something else than utf-8 on your file system. I'm aware of it but it's not a trivial task. Afaik the issue is only with local directories on windows and only when the top folder have non-ascii characters.
Ok, thanks for your answer.
Quick question. I have two XBMC box's in my home. I like watchdog because its quick and effective. The only downfall is the reboot or shutdown function being broken but in any case I have a question. I have a MySQL server and what would be the proper method of setting up watch dog on both xbmc box's. Would one box interrupt the other box if both on at the same time? Is there a possibility of them both updating the same time breaking my SQL database?
I just installed the watchdog and i´m quite impressed.
Works like a charm.
Except tv series. Only after forcing global scan it worked.
I understand that this is a "quick" fix, since i have a lot of folders.
Is it possible to declare the Folder where the tv-series are and
scan only those?
(2013-06-18, 13:05)madmax020572 Wrote: [ -> ]I just installed the watchdog and i´m quite impressed.
Works like a charm.
scan only those?

I would like an answer towards this as well as I have numerous shows that can be skipped/ignored when scanning.
(2013-06-18, 16:15)xboxexpert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-18, 13:05)madmax020572 Wrote: [ -> ]I just installed the watchdog and i´m quite impressed.
Works like a charm.
scan only those?

I would like an answer towards this as well as I have numerous shows that can be skipped/ignored when scanning.

So basically what you're asking, and what it boils down to is to be able to disable the 'real' media source and setup you own custom. You see, it's not so easy to have dynamic settings, which is what is needed to be able to have automatic setup of media sources and the possibility to disable them. I want to do this feature, but xbmc can't currently do these kind of dynamic settings unfortunately.
I just wanted to clarify an issue I'm having. I read back about 8 pages and saw a similar issue. Just wanted to make sure.

Whenever Watchdog is enabled it takes about 3-5 minutes to load up any add on. Also, about 2 minutes to go through any subsequent menu in said add on. Is this due to not being able to run two things at once that I saw a few pages back?

Thank you for the awesome add on.
(2013-06-18, 16:43)my95z34 Wrote: [ -> ]I just wanted to clarify an issue I'm having. I read back about 8 pages and saw a similar issue. Just wanted to make sure.

Whenever Watchdog is enabled it takes about 3-5 minutes to load up any add on. Also, about 2 minutes to go through any subsequent menu in said add on. Is this due to not being able to run two things at once that I saw a few pages back?

It's this issue: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14212 So far I believe it only affect people that have some other underlying issue with the network. Not clear exactly why this is happening though. Really strange bug.
(2013-06-18, 16:52)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-18, 16:43)my95z34 Wrote: [ -> ]I just wanted to clarify an issue I'm having. I read back about 8 pages and saw a similar issue. Just wanted to make sure.

It's this issue: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14212 So far I believe it only affect people that have some other underlying issue with the network. Not clear exactly why this is happening though. Really strange bug.

Gotcha. Do you need me to provide any logs or are you good on that?

Also, I'll probably need to provide a log on this one, but I'm running RaspBMC and whenever I disable Watchdog it reboots the Pi. Enableing works fine though. After I get off work I'll try to get a log.
(2013-06-18, 18:37)my95z34 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-18, 16:52)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]

Gotcha. Do you need me to provide any logs or are you good on that?

Also, I'll probably need to provide a log on this one, but I'm running RaspBMC and whenever I disable Watchdog it reboots the Pi. Enableing works fine though. After I get off work I'll try to get a log.

I've also noticed some lag with in menus and a shutdown/reboot bug that freezes system. I am on a pretty powerful Zotac Box with latest bios and, yea I know its over kill, 8GB memory and a 60GB SSD with MySQL running off my Drobo 5N.