Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
there is only one steam isnt it? I am trying to launch steam big picture.
what exactly are you asking? your question is not clear
In the addon (steam add on) you need to map the path to the location of the steam executable. I am trying to figure out where that file is located on kodibuntu so i can map to it.

Its sort of like advanced launcher isnt it? Think of it as trying to launch an external application from within kodi but you have to know where the app file is stored.
I am not that well versed in Linux directory structure.. In windows usually those files are located within program files or program files x86.
The command I gave you before will show you the full path of the command 'steam'. Did you run it?
you mean "which steam"? is that a command? i thought you were asking a question.

but it did not work. it simply launches the program when i run it. I dont see the path.
Something is wrong with your system:

https://kb.iu.edu/d/acec
i just installed v2.2.0 and when i try to launch the addon it just says "caching..." then nothing happens.
i double checked xbmc and steam paths in the addon settings and everything is correct
(2015-02-26, 23:04)anarchoi Wrote: [ -> ]i just installed v2.2.0 and when i try to launch the addon it just says "caching..." then nothing happens.
i double checked xbmc and steam paths in the addon settings and everything is correct

Read the 'issues' section in the first post.
Hi!

I'm using Kodibuntu (14.04 based ubuntu) and following this instructions (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1919154) everything is working fine but...

I want script that re-launch Kodi ONLY IF Steam and Kodi aren't running...can someone help me? I tried this script:

Quote:while [ 1 ] # do forever
do
xid=`pgrep kodi` # capture the process id of kodi
sid=`pgrep steam` # capture the process id of steam
while [ "$xid" ] # do the following while the kodi pid still exists
do
xid=`pgrep kodi` # recapture the kodi pid
if [ -z "$xid" ] # test if kodi is still running
then
/usr/bin/kodi & # if not then run kodi
fi
sleep 5 # sleep for 5 seconds
done
while [ "$sid" ] # do the following while the steam pid still exists
do
sid=`pgrep steam` # recapture the steam pid
if [ -z "$sid" ] # test if steam is still running
then
/usr/bin/kodi & # if not then run kodi
xid=`pgrep kodi` # and capture the pid of kodi
fi
sleep 5 # sleep for 5 seconds
done
done &

But with it:

- If Kodi and Steam aren't running, Kodi is started again. OK
- If Kodi is running and Steam Not, nothing happens. OK
- If Kodi isn't running and Steam yes, Kodi started again, NOT OK

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Maybe something like this?

Quote:while true; do
if $(pidof kodi.bin) (wiki); then
if $(pidof steam) (wiki); then
echo kodi running
else
echo kodi running
fi
else
if ! $(pidof steam) (wiki); then
echo steam running
else
/usr/bin/kodi
fi
fi
sleep 1
done
As post steam script use:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
until [[ ! $(pidof steam) ]] && [[ ! $(pidof kodi.bin) ]] ; do  
  echo sleeping
  sleep 1
done
Hi! Thanks for your reply but this only works if I launch Steam, I want the same but that starts when system is started to auto-respawn Kodi in case of crash. But thanks again Wink
I don't think that approach is very good - you might end up with 2 instances of kodi running at the same time or if kodi has hung it won't restart because the kodi process is still running. Better to map a 'close app' key on your remote which kills kodi (and emulators, Firefox etc) and restarts kodi. You can do that via irexec.
(2015-03-02, 23:08)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that approach is very good - you might end up with 2 instances of kodi running at the same time or if kodi has hung it won't restart because the kodi process is still running. Better to map a 'close app' key on your remote which kills kodi (and emulators, Firefox etc) and restarts kodi. You can do that via irexec.

Any tips on that? I'm trying to send Alt-F4 to my system to kill an emulator in steam, since you can't exit the game normally. It's not working for me. At this point, I'd be happy to kill steam with irexec (and relaunching Kodi in the progress).