Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry for my late response... I am using Windows 11. Kodi is only activated again when I log out of my Steam account and it happens immediately when Steam restarts.
I've been using "oldbigpicturemode" so far, but now with latest version of Steam the new UI seems to be forced for everybody, so the addon no longer closes/reopens Kodi in Windows 10.
Hey, Im running kodi 20.1 on fedora and when I try to run the steam launcher it it says "post steam Script does not exist, disabling" and doesn't start. I don't have the post scripted option ticked though... Any ideas?
I see from debugging that it's the "userdata scripts folder" that is failing to be created...
oh i see now that i just failed to read. I apologize
OK, for those that have a problem with the new gamepadui of Steam here is a fix to get this addon working again when running under Linux:

Go into your home directory and head to .kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/ 

In there open steam_launcher.sh and change the following
Quote:'steamwebhelper.steamwebhelper.*Steam Big Picture Mode'

to 
Quote:'steamwebhelper.*Steam Big Picture Mode'

where ever it appears in the script. That should help the script detect the Steam window again so it can start Kodi when Steam is being closed.

Edit: 

Just in case Steam should start in windowed mode go to the advanced options of the addon and add -fullscreen to the start options to give over to Steam when it starts up.
This solution worked great for me on Fedora 38! Thanks
script.steam.launcher-3.7.7:
Quote:update steam DM window class name and replace instances of space indentation with tab indents so the AHK script is consistent
window detection fix for linux - thanks @Juppstein
update language strings
update error messages in addon and fix a if statement error - thanks @factorion
The last two changes were from 3.7.5 which was never pushed to my repo. Not sure what happened there, I need to check my other PC to see if its sitting on there.

EDIT I've pushed 3.7.8 to my repo which bumps the bash script revision number so it auto updates the changes from the last release
I've been unable to install 3.7.8. I removed and re-added the repo, but it won't install. I'm assuming I've missed something obvious and silly. Running Nexus; log link below:

https://paste.kodi.tv/quxunutugu.kodi
Make sure the steam launcher ahk script isn't running in the background. Check your system tray for the icon.
I found that 3.7.8 fails to launch steam from kodi on linux. Did a bit of digging and found that the steam-launcher.sh script has windows line delimiters.

I verified this by checking https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...-3.7.8.zip and found that within the zip file the "script.steam.launcher/resources/scripts/steam-launcher.sh" file has two-byte 0d0a line delimiter on the end of each line, including the shebang line. e.g. showing the first 32 bytes

Code:

hd script.steam.launcher/resources/scripts/steam-launcher.sh | head
00000000  23 21 2f 62 69 6e 2f 62  61 73 68 0d 0a 23 4b 6f  |#!/bin/bash..#Ko|
00000010  64 69 20 53 74 65 61 6d  20 4c 61 75 6e 63 68 65  |di Steam Launche|

As a workaround, the following command can be used to fix the problem:
dos2unix ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launcher.sh
Hiya! New to the forum. Trying to add this add-on to a Mac mini M1 on Kodi v21. I have the mapping correct but it does not seem to want to open Steam at all. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm trying to add the repo to Kodi 20.2 on Linux but the URL https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...y.teeedubb doesn't work.
I get an error message saying "Couldn't retrieve directory information. This could be due to the network not being connected".

Is this URL not the correct one for adding the repo?
Anyone running this on Omega?
(2023-12-24, 08:16)mr_weasel Wrote: [ -> ]I found that 3.7.8 fails to launch steam from kodi on linux. Did a bit of digging and found that the steam-launcher.sh script has windows line delimiters.

I verified this by checking https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...-3.7.8.zip and found that within the zip file the "script.steam.launcher/resources/scripts/steam-launcher.sh" file has two-byte 0d0a line delimiter on the end of each line, including the shebang line. e.g. showing the first 32 bytes

Code:

hd script.steam.launcher/resources/scripts/steam-launcher.sh | head
00000000  23 21 2f 62 69 6e 2f 62  61 73 68 0d 0a 23 4b 6f  |#!/bin/bash..#Ko|
00000010  64 69 20 53 74 65 61 6d  20 4c 61 75 6e 63 68 65  |di Steam Launche|

As a workaround, the following command can be used to fix the problem:
dos2unix ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launcher.sh

Thanks, the windows line ending detection was broken and has been forcibly fixed in the latest version