Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-02-19, 14:16)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]When didn't it work?

popcornmix posted earlier about this method, saying that it was untested.

Sorry for the confusion.
(2015-02-19, 14:37)fred_com Wrote: [ -> ]popcornmix posted earlier about this method, saying that it was untested.

"untested" just referred to the commands being written from memory, rather than being typed in and confirmed to work.
Putting a .tar file in the .update folder and rebooting is something I've done many times, so is expected to work.
(2015-02-19, 14:19)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]FYI - monoscopic 3D is still not working with #218 - so the firmware change didn't fix this issue for me

I did test and it is broken both with master and newclock4.
Pretty sure it used to work with master, so needs git bisecting to find when it stopped working...
Just got my RPI2 last night, so forgive me if any of this has been covered in the forum already that I missed. I was previously using a Cubox I2 with OpenELEC 5.0.2.

At first I tried to use the 5.0.3 OpenELEC release. All was well until I enabled liveTV with the mythtv pvr plugin. At that point, Kodi just kept crashing and restarting as it tried to pull channels, etc. and build the pvr database. I figured maybe there was an issue with mythtv in 5.0.3 so I decided to try the latest 0218 snapshot. That did allow me to enable the mythtv pvr plugin, but I have some observations after using it to watch liveTV and some local videos.

1) I have the following in the advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>60</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-60</timeseekbackwardbig>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

The new skip forward and backwards in the gui config with the various time increments is new to me, perhaps something added in Kodi 15. Is there any way to get back to the simple config I have above? The big seek does seem to work and it skips 60 seconds/1 minute but the regular seek is 7 seconds (from the GUI config it seems).

2) When hitting the info button, the gui that comes up doesn't go away when hitting the button again. It is similar to behavior I've seen setting 1 for dirty regions where portions of the screen aren't updated, but I don't have any override settings in the advancedsettings.xml file. It does the same for a local h264 sample but in that case the gui info fades but never goes away. If I bring up the details overlay using button o and then push button o again to make it go away, that does work and also clears off the info gui.

3) Playback of 1080i content with deinterlacing that has scrolling text (current news bar on CNN is a good example) is choppy

Is any/all of that related to no longer defaulting to omxplayer on the RPI2? If I enable it again in the acceleration settings, will that start using it again for liveTV or do I need a setting in advancedsettings.xml as well?
1) If you have
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <seeksteps>10</seeksteps>
</advancedsettings>
in advancedsettings.xml you should be able to configure what you want.

<seeksteps> is a comma delimited list of positive values (the negative values will be added automatically).

2. Is this with stock Confluence? I can't reproduce.
Thanks for the info for #1. Just to confirm, the seeksteps parameter doesn't need to be under video and is a top level config item right under advancedsettings as shown above?

For #2, yes, I'm running the stock confluence theme. The only thing I did was to turn off the RSS feed. The h264 file I used is 1080i50_h264.ts from:

http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/

I've used it to test performance on the Cubox before. With that sample, there is a slight artifact of the info gui on the screen almost like burn-in on an old CRT. For the MPEG2 in my LiveTV, the gui info just stays there until I do something else to totally refresh the screen (using o button for detailed stats and then o again to turn them off). Oddly that didn't occur last night until I bought and turned on the hardware MPEG2 decoding, but I didn't watch much HD LiveTV without it since it was very choppy. I don't know if anyone else is using the hardware MPEG2 decoding for LiveTV. I'll try to get some pictures of it tonight if nobody else see that issue. Is there a good place to upload items like that?
(2015-02-19, 17:07)zaphod24 Wrote: [ -> ]<advancedsettings>
<video>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>60</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-60</timeseekbackwardbig>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

The new skip forward and backwards in the gui config with the various time increments is new to me, perhaps something added in Kodi 15. Is there any way to get back to the simple config I have above? The big seek does seem to work and it skips 60 seconds/1 minute but the regular seek is 7 seconds (from the GUI config it seems).
I have noticed a similar issue recently. I am using a Pi1 B, and update intermittently with Milhouse builds.

In LiveTV, using pvr.MythTV, timeseekforward is generally 14 seconds and timeseekbackward is 7, rather than the intervals I have configured, which are 30 and 15 respectively. Occasionally, it is a very large skip, like a half hour. timeseekforwardbig and timeseekforwardsmall operate as configured. My relevant settings:

<timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-15</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>180</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-180</timeseekbackwardbig>
(2015-02-19, 18:56)zaphod24 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the info for #1. Just to confirm, the seeksteps parameter doesn't need to be under video and is a top level config item right under advancedsettings as shown above?

Correct.

As for video samples, dropbox is a good option.
Hum, I found another issue with dvdplayer. Apart from the audio out of sync plus high audio pitch after rewinding, I found out the picture stops like 10 seconds before the video ends. This happens on every video, being them local videos or even http (url) videos like youtube. Syncing video to the refresh rate seems to work a lot better with the omxplayer as well, so, I have to ask, which are the advantages of using dvdplayer instead of the omxplayer? Pardon my ignorance in this matter ^^'.
Enabling OMXPlayer under Video -> Acceleration got rid of the weird artifact issues with the gui during video playback, so I guess that may be an issue for dvdplayer/mmal?
Trying to use the left/right small skip is crashing Kodi now. Nothing interesting in the logs, the screen just turns black and then Kodi restarts
Upload your /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi_crashlog
Ok, I copied it to pastebin at http://pastebin.com/9eGHsG9z
Thanks. OK, I can reproduce the crash by deselecting every "Skip step" in Settings -> Video -> Playback , then trying to seek in a video (you don't need any changes in advancedsettings.xml to reproduce this). I''ve posted a comment on github. For now, just set at least one skip step.
Perfect, thanks for reproducing! It wasn't obvious after changing the default skip steps in advancedsettings to just 10 seconds that nothing was actually selected/active under the video playback settings. Lesson learned there! After doing that and re-enabling omxplayer playback looks perfect for LiveTV and my video files. Loving the PI2!