Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, new user here.

I'm in the (long) process of completing a new home theater room.  To make a long story short, I purchased an 8th gen Core i3 Intel NUC last fall to use as a HTPC to play my BD/4K rips using MPC-HC w/ madvr.  One of the reasons I went this route was because I still had a 65" Panasonic plasma TV and I planned on using the aforementioned software to properly tone map and play the 4K discs/rips I've been purchasing in order to future-proof my collection.  All uncompressed rips are in .mkv format.  Fast forward to today, I now have an 85" Sony X900F, and I've realized that the lack of automatic dynamic range matching with my NUC is going to present a problem when it comes to seamlessly browsing my library, which I had planned on using KODI for.

I will have a 7.2.6 speaker setup, so Atmos & DTS:X audio pass-through is crucial.  From what I've read on these forums the last few days, the ODROID-N2 CoreELEC looks to be a device that will do what I want.  I will strictly be using it for KODI as I have an Apple 4K TV for all other streaming apps.

My main question is, and I feel silly for asking given my past experience with HTPCs, will I need to have a separate KODI "server" if I use a device like the ODROID-N2?  The NUC could serve (no pun intended) this purpose, but I'm wondering if KODI on the ODROID is all I would need to have a nice looking library with cover art and metadata, so long as I have my media available on the network.  I do not have a dedicated NAS at this point, but I could use the NUC with the directly attached storage as a host for my media for the time being and just point the ODROID to that if I don't need a separate KODI server.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
(2019-10-23, 18:45)Esch30 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, new user here.

I'm in the (long) process of completing a new home theater room.  To make a long story short, I purchased an 8th gen Core i3 Intel NUC last fall to use as a HTPC to play my BD/4K rips using MPC-HC w/ madvr.  One of the reasons I went this route was because I still had a 65" Panasonic plasma TV and I planned on using the aforementioned software to properly tone map and play the 4K discs/rips I've been purchasing in order to future-proof my collection.  All uncompressed rips are in .mkv format.  Fast forward to today, I now have an 85" Sony X900F, and I've realized that the lack of automatic dynamic range matching with my NUC is going to present a problem when it comes to seamlessly browsing my library, which I had planned on using KODI for.

I will have a 7.2.6 speaker setup, so Atmos & DTS:X audio pass-through is crucial.  From what I've read on these forums the last few days, the ODROID-N2 CoreELEC looks to be a device that will do what I want.  I will strictly be using it for KODI as I have an Apple 4K TV for all other streaming apps.

My main question is, and I feel silly for asking given my past experience with HTPCs, will I need to have a separate KODI "server" if I use a device like the ODROID-N2?  The NUC could serve (no pun intended) this purpose, but I'm wondering if KODI on the ODROID is all I would need to have a nice looking library with cover art and metadata, so long as I have my media available on the network.  I do not have a dedicated NAS at this point, but I could use the NUC with the directly attached storage as a host for my media for the time being and just point the ODROID to that if I don't need a separate KODI server.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Kodi runs on the Odroid N2 directly (actually with CoreElec it runs on a stripped down version of the Linux desktop plus Kodi), including a local library with cover art and all. 

The limitation here is that library is then locked to that N2, which means you can't share your library with another Kodi box down the line for some other TV. If you don't ever care about that then you are set.
(2019-10-22, 05:47)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The ODROID N2 has removable high quality, fast eMMC flash storage modules available that can be user configured to any OS you want easily.
The CoreELEC edition of the N2, uses a more robust, Industrial spec. Sandisk microSDHC - but it will still be a bit slower vs eMMC flash storage.
Do You mean there is a dual boot on ONDROID N2?
Hmm,
I guess I will buy the Cube on Black Friday if it hits ~60€ and try it out. Otherwise I just send it back.
Although I really dislike Amazon´s UI and like the costumization abilities of the N2.
Ob the other hand even then the N2 would only be 20 more...

Is there any advantage of the eMMC over the SD for only Kodi and not looking at boot times?
(2019-09-28, 02:46)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-27, 19:55)lovnblack Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-27, 05:23)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, welcome.

Gigabit Ethernet device is needed for 4K Bluyray Rips - Kodi only - with proper 4K HDR Metadata output along with HD audio inc Atmos and DTS:X...

A bunch of people are buying the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition (click). It already has all the parts.
If you want it to run Kodi a bit faster, also buy a 16GB eMMC flash module, does not matter if it is Linux or Android.

Then simple add a quality USB mini receiver dongle, Plug N Play - MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote. It's keyboard comes in really handy after long term Kodi usage for keyboard shortcuts. Remote batteries last 8+ months.

Minor DIY required, but after after initial setup it just works. Smile

Thank you very much WRXTASY for your answer. Ok will follow your suggestion and will try to complete this set for my HT.

But can you please help me to collect this parts/products?      

Buy the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition (click). It already has all the parts.
If you want it to run Kodi a bit faster, also buy a 16GB eMMC flash module. Does not matter if it is a Linux or Android eMMC.

Then simple add (from somewhere else) a quality USB mini receiver dongle, Plug N Play - MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote. It's keyboard comes in really handy after long term Kodi usage for keyboard shortcuts.
Quote:Where should I buy them because I read your warning about very bad guarantee terms of them.

https://www.hardkernel.com/distributors/

Also read THIS (click) thread for sellers.
Quote:Do you think I can success to that DIY without any knowledge ?

Yes.

CE edition of the N2 is virtually Plug n Play.
Hardest part might be sliding on the top case.
MINIX A2 lite remote works out of the box.      

Hi again wrxtasy, today I prepare myself to collect & order all set. Currently Im living in Bulgaria so that I look for Hardkernel's distributor in here (https://erelement.com/mini-pc/odroid-n2?...te7ba8nvh2), but they dont sell corelec version and I was not sure about the difference between corelec and non corelec versions of N2, and I decided to order a corelec version from Germany, I will have a few FINAL questions to you, because of that I want to share following seller links and my last questions with you : 

ODROID N2 CORELEC EDITION: 
Germany N2 corelec edition (I will order 2gb version because its enough, right?) : https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-n2-coreel...ram-811103

16GB eMMC MODULE :
From the same German seller, it will come with N2 together in the same package, is this one OK ? : https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-n2-emmc-5...oid-811046

MINIX KEYBOARD :
I found a local Bulgarian seller, is it the correct product ? : http://old.itx.bg/ro/minixtm-neo-a2-lite...m_store=de  

USB mini receiver dongle: 
I know it is simplest part of this set but I have doubts about the correct version, enough quality and correct product that I need to buy ? Sorry for bulgarian language pages, but it needs to be local seller =
https://www.emag.bg/bezzhichni-adapteri/c (all result page link)
https://www.emag.bg/adapter-bluetooth-as...DF3VQBBBM/
https://www.emag.bg/adapter-bluetooth-us...D89X53BBM/

And here are my FINAL questions if you dont mind plz : 

- I downloaded most of my movies in H265 10bit HVEC format, will this N2 kit be able to play my 10bit movies or I made a mistake and downloaded wrong format, hope not...otherwise I have to download hundred gigabytes again Smile  ? Im asking this because on one of the replies you have written "High bitrate 4K Rips needs Gigabit LAN for Network streaming reliability, otherwise you are just a Gamblin' man" if my movie library in 10bit format then do I also need gigabit LAN or N2 will handle 10bit movies ? Honestly I have no idea about gigabit ethernet, LAN Smile plz help me to understand as you are explaining to a newbie Smile

- Do I need AC wifi module 5A also ? If yes, then german seller website does not have the same module, plz check if one of them is also OK with N2 (https://www.pollin.de/search?query=wifi%...kfIgidzhWO)

- Will this set of N2 be enough to be able to play everything currently ? if you suggest me to add something more for future updates I will, plz advice. ( such as https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/emmc-mod...s-upgrade/ ) ?

Thanx for your patience and great help!
(2019-10-23, 20:11)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-22, 05:47)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The ODROID N2 has removable high quality, fast eMMC flash storage modules available that can be user configured to any OS you want easily.
The CoreELEC edition of the N2, uses a more robust, Industrial spec. Sandisk microSDHC - but it will still be a bit slower vs eMMC flash storage.

No, there is triple boot on Odroid N2. You can have Android (Pie 64bit, or TV 32bit) on eMMC, Ubuntu on uSD card and CoreElec on USB stick at the same time. With SPI-Petitboot you can choose which OS to boot.
You can even extend that with 2 operating systems om a single eMMC, so many OS combinations are available.
(2019-10-23, 23:23)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]

No, there is triple boot on Odroid N2. You can have Android (Pie 64bit, or TV 32bit) on eMMC, Ubuntu on uSD card and CoreElec on USB stick at the same time. With SPI-Petitboot you can choose which OS to boot.
You can even extend that with 2 operating systems om a single eMMC, so many OS combinations are available.

Does Kodi on Ubuntu on odroid N2, support all the features of CoreElec (hdr, hd audio, etc)

What are the differences if you run Kodi on ubuntu versus CoreElec? They are both based on linux, so I would think there won’t be too much of a difference.
(2019-10-24, 00:21)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-23, 20:11)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]Do You mean there is a dual boot on ONDROID N2?   

Does Kodi on Ubuntu on odroid N2, support all the features of CoreElec (hdr, hd audio, etc)

No.
There will be a whole lot of features that will not work, like refresh switching, HD audio, & more. Video playback timing for Fractional FPS video is also is likely to be a problem. AMLogic added some frankly stupid custom code that had to be removed to get smooth Kodi video playback.

Quote:What are the differences if you run Kodi on ubuntu versus CoreElec? They are both based on linux, so I would think there won’t be too much of a difference.

Both the N2's Linux Kernel and Kodi itself has been custom patched and modded to run CoreELEC Kodi properly.
@lovnblack I think the Minix A2 remote brings its own dongle, so you should not have to buy another one.
(2019-10-22, 02:39)JustATest Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-22, 00:34)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]i Could be wrong but amazon hardware struggles with high bit rate files. The new cube might be different.

I had an 2016 Stick that I have sent back. I got regularily lags when playing FHD files no matter what I did, but from NAS to PC it was possible, so no Network problem.
If that´s still not fixed it would be a shame.

What are high-bitrates for you?

Then what else Streamer would be recommended?

Anything over 25 GB for a day two hour movie struggles but I guess it depends on how it’s encoded as well. Personally I am not too tech savvy when it comes to encoding, but common sense states over wifi, you won’t obviously get the same speeds as a GBit network. Having said that I have a usb ethernet adapter on my firestick (the ugreen one) and it still struggles.

For recommendations, you can see the wonderful thread by wrxtasy on the recommended hardware for your needs. Beefy processor and gigabit Ethernet devices such as Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, and others such as the new odroid N2, etc are a good choice.
(2019-10-24, 02:20)Sjors125 Wrote: [ -> ]@lovnblack I think the Minix A2 remote brings its own dongle, so you should not have to buy another one.

OK thank you for information. What about other links, all of them looks correct ? And do you know N2 will be able to play 10bits movies?
(2019-10-22, 02:53)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]10bit H264 aka Anime need either a DIY Rockchip RK3328 or RK3399 device or a media player with a decent CPU package to CPU Software decode it.

Ahh sorry, me again.

I have read this as if the N2 is not able to decode h26410b, but it seems that I am wrong?

When I am looking at Benchmarks then the N2 is always stronger than the 3399. So, does it play it or not?
Or is the Software on the N2 the Problem in this case?
(2019-10-24, 19:38)JustATest Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-22, 02:53)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]10bit H264 aka Anime need either a DIY Rockchip RK3328 or RK3399 device or a media player with a decent CPU package to CPU Software decode it.

Ahh sorry, me again.

I have read this as if the N2 is not able to decode h26410b, but it seems that I am wrong?

When I am looking at Benchmarks then the N2 is always stronger than the 3399. So, does it play it or not?
Or is the Software on the N2 the Problem in this case?

The N2 has enough CPU grunt under the hood to CPU software decode everything 1080p - inc h264 10bit Anime.

(2019-10-23, 23:05)lovnblack Wrote: [ -> ]- Do I need AC wifi module 5A also ? If yes, then german seller website does not have the same module, plz check if one of them is also OK with N2 (https://www.pollin.de/search?query=wifi%...kfIgidzhWO)

If you need reliable WiFi, the Dual Band 2.4 / 5.0 GHz Realtek chipset ones are compatible:
https://www.pollin.de/p/wlan-usb-stick-e...utc-712638

This will be even faster due to dual antennas (mimo)
https://www.pollin.de/p/wlan-usb-stick-e...imo-740590

Thx for tips!
How can i choose booting OS? There is a list on bootscreen? Can i set default OS?

I think may be its time to move from Wetek Core. I hope USB audio on ON2 is working flawless. On Wetek Core there are some clarckilng via USB. So if i can drop optical to USB i would be satisfied.
So i can have Android for HBO GO and CoreElec for audio playing.
Even i could try Daphile.
(2019-10-24, 20:31)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-23, 20:11)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]Do You mean there is a dual boot on ONDROID N2?    

Thx for tips!
How can i choose booting OS? There is a list on bootscreen? Can i set default OS?

I think may be its time to move from Wetek Core. I hope USB audio on ON2 is working flawless. On Wetek Core there are some clarckilng via USB. So if i can drop optical to USB i would be satisfied.
So i can have Android for HBO GO and CoreElec for audio playing.
Even i could try Daphile.

No there is no DRM, which is required for HD copy protected video streaming like HBO Go, when using Android on the N2.