Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
(2016-02-18, 21:20)Gombeek Wrote: [ -> ]Now to address the box sellers on amazon, eBay, and local classifieds... I totally get your trademark, and how box manufacturers should be shut down if they violate it. But how do you enforce a trademark on a used product. What I'm saying is apple couldn't stop the sales of jail broken devices on eBay, and trust me i know they tried, because the devices were not being sold as New from a licensed Apple dealer, they were being sold as used and as long as you could provide eBay with a copy of your legitimate receipt (or often it was paypal you had to give the proof to) then all was good. People once they own a product are allowed to modify it as they see fit and sell it used should they want to. So that being said the guys selling fire sticks or the plethora of other devices technically used and loaded, this is a unwinnable battle as it stands right now.

Again i want to stress this is In My Humble Opinion which i sign off all my posts on this topic. But the problem really needs to be addressed at its core and while the truth is something that may be hard to swallow, it is necessary to face in order to over come it. Now should anyone disagree with anything I've written or my opinion, you are well within your rights to do so and I completely respect it, but no personal attacks please.

IMHO

Agree with this which is why they need help from the big boys who can sue eBay for selling copyrighted material. Not Kodi itself (because face it, the big boys don't care about Kodi), but the material that is illegal that is being put into Kodi. They have been successful at shutting down the sale of hot boxes in the past, and they can stop this too. Also, maybe it would help to go to the FBI?
so contacted amazon

Me: hi this person is selling pirated content can u please remove his item from amazon ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MXQ-S805-Android...words=kodi
Srikumar: Hello, my name is Srikumar.
Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk. Am I chatting with Jevan?
Me: yes
Srikumar: Thanks.
Hello Jevan,
Just to confirm, are you referring to the seller "Channing56789. "?
Me: yes
Those boxes basically facilitating piracy in a very easy manner,
in his Q&S he specifically mention it includes all sky sports channels, obviously this dude dont have the license to provide free sky sports channels
Srikumar: I understand, Jevan. Just to confirm, have you placed the order for the item?
Me: no i have not
but i believe amazon dont participate in distributing pirated content
and its against ur TOS
Srikumar: Yes, we don't encourage sellers in selling pirated items. I have forwarded your message to our seller team, they will take further actions. Although we can't disclose the outcome of any investigation, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your vigilance and for highlighting this.
Me: thank you

Give it 72 hours, and am confident the sellers account or the item will be removed.

if it works, all future complain just send to this email
cs-reply@amazon.co.uk,
How naive. But keep it up.

Ok, let me try to put this into one paragraph. Google funneled 11 billion euros trough tax loopholes in Europe. Thats 11 billion within one year (2014). There is no indication whatsoever, that Amazon will move in a coordinated fashion against illegal content being sold in their store. In fact, the opposite is true. There are entire product categories on Amazon (digital video switches and converter boxes) that pray on the code of probably some student out there to break HDCP. A copy protection scheme that was happily enforced by them ("as a market" - so just a correlation, not an accusation), when it presented itself as an opportunity to seemingly move more product, back in the day.

When I was 16 years old - I personally remember contacting ebay because a seller there had sold me a fake TV replacement remote advertised as "original", stating that even the product number on the device wasnt the one that was advertised, because who cares to pay more for molds - and ebay subsequently informed me, that I had all legal venues open to me that my country provides. They wanted NOTHING to do with it.

Years later Microsoft launched entire campaigns against sellers of pirated Windows copies on ebay - they put real money into it - and in the end it just could have been another awareness campaign - because, this market is just as vibrant as it was in the day.

Today - you can buy Windows 7 licenses on Amazon that are being resold, which is against the companys licensing agreements - and they are advertised as a FREAKING Amazon Top Seller in the software category.

So stop talking about the motivations of something you dont understand. You cant imagine how aggravated I get, each time someone tries to explain a company decision of a large multinational on ethical grounds. You guys need to - need to grow up.

Amazon kicked Kodi, because people started to buy their devices in volume - while having no interest in using their services. I have thrown away several paper letters from amazon with fake credit card format "coupon cards" (not even laminated - because thats 5 cents extra), that were nothing more than freaking advertising reminding me - personally of their "30 days free" (one per account) prime subscription. I have gotten more enticing advertising for warm winter blankets in my mail, that also were more honest as to what they were (At that point I already had paid for apps through their store, just fyi).

The MOMENT the Fire TV devices became more known for Kodi than for Amazons ecosystem in any given google Search - Amazon had a problem, they had to address.

Now - the reason for that rise in popularity is the "piracy promise" - dont get me wrong, but it is NOT - as in BY NO MEANS, why your "lovingly daddy Amazon" decided to move against Kodi. No matter how much you would like to see Amazon as your homely "state actor" - it is not. It is not the law, it is not prosecution, it isnt even your pastor.

It makes decisions purely on economic principals -

such as - and this one is sound -

"We only want distribution channels on our devices getting popular - if they generate repeated revenue - and we cut in for 30%."

All bad manner concerns and self assertions aside - Amazon would have NEVER allowed Kodi to become as popular on their devices - no matter what. Kodi could have given out hugs for free - the moment it spiked in popularity over Amazons own service - it was a goner.

For good - If I might add that.

Also - there is a REASON why Chromecast doesnt run Kodi all that well. And its called a business decision.

I dont know why the PR of Kodi seemingly wants to promote this concept of them having "fallen from grace in the eyes of this godly figure they imagine Amazon to be" and it all having been the pirates fault (now - the sellers (*grrr*) or the coders (*arrrr*)? - because the sellers are still making money on Amazon) - but from my point of view, it simply can not be the truth.

Now go out, little community army - and rid ebay from the boxed sellers that really no one wants. No one at all. But which for some reason get 5000 devices per seller in to their hands without the mother company noticing what is going on.

No - Kodi had to be removed from the App store - what else was there?

Its a Joke.

Kodi PR believing it, is a tragedy.

But the issue with casuals swamping the open source community here for "I have a problem with" support proposals is real - so, well I guess who cares about the truth, or even a good story.

We all understood the undertones. But this is a (necessary) battle of the brands - not of good vs. evil - or even piracy vs. creatively generated content.

And it became necessary - because in the minds of everyone who rode on the wave - support is just something you

a. outsource

or

b. mass market in a video, once

and that concept simply didnt hold true in the end.

The "dont educate your customer - sell them FREE and move fast" concept ultimately didnt work as part of a symbiotic relationship (open source culture) - who could have ever thought...
I honestly think you have some issues.

Your writing is disjointed and sporadic. Have you had a checkup recently?
@harlekin

I tried to be diplomatic, but I'm going to give it to you straight:

No one gives a shit about Amazon. It was used as an example and nothing more. You are reading too much into this, and it seems you have a major bone to pick with big companies like Amazon. You're just so damn focused on that one tiny part, and the rest of us are trying to make sense of your objection. Maybe more thought should have been put into the wording for the Amazon example, but the truth is that no one cares. It was more insulting at the time than significant. There is no love for Amazon. They are not held in high regard. It was an example of a real problem, and you read all sorts of crazy shit into it.

WTF? What do you want the Kodi group to say? Do you honestly think anyone was trying to be that deceptive? If so, nothing said to you will ever make you happy, because you will always assume it is another lie.
Harlekin, I can't go into details, but please allow me to assure you that you have no idea what you are talking about and are woefully ill informed, evidently across a number of levels.

Then again, I can't go into details, so I can't actually back that statement up with facts, so I suppose continue to believe whatever you want to believe.

Ned, that part of the blog post was from me. Others might not care about being in the second largest Android App Store on the planet. I do. I don't know about all the weird dad/God stuff Harlekin was spouting, but Amazon's got two of the top five OTT devices out there, and it irks me that Kodi has to be side loaded to be installed on those devices.

Edit: I should also note that I consider it quite ironic that the easiest way to get Kodi on one of those devices is simply to buy it "fully loaded." Had Amazon allowed Kodi in the App Store, getting Kodi on one of their devices would have been simple and cheaper/easier than buying from eBay, which in turn might have avoided their own little PR nightmare.

https://torrentfreak.com/did-pirates-cle...uk-151229/
Then for the first time - I have my reason, for why Kodi as a project is behaving in this way. Could be "Boxee all over again" - could be not. Could be the need of a certain vision for one individual.

Also - I might be uninformed as to what goes on internally in the inner circle or between Kodi and Amazon - but at least I can show some common sense - as part of my arguments.

I acknowledge that you might not be able to speak openly - but at the same time, you also dont cry "piracy" without being able to go into any details. Its against good taste.

In rhetorics this is called a - straw man argument approach.

edit:

(After reading your edit Wink )

Our motives arent so different - btw, and should you ever succeed in getting Kodi onto the Amazon Store again (*cough*enable third party addons*cough*) - i'd be very happy as well.

And - I'd have to see it, to believe it.

Also, I care about "form". Very much so. So bowing to as I have called it "the hand that slapped you in your face" isnt something I'd care you see doing. Now if that means easier access to Kodi ("what it stands for") for people in the long run - it might have been worth it.

But from my current point of view - what has Amazon done for "the cause"? They have a two year window of having the cheapest Kodi Box on the market. When they cut promotional budgets - they are just another vendor as far as Kodi should be (?) concerned.

Are we really at the point were we are looking for strategic partnerships to get "an open piece of software" onto a popular (but closed down) platform? (Hackers growing old...)

I am sure the popularity spike didnt go by unnoticed by them as well.

Also if Kodi - as a result, gets "less open" by design... But one step at the time.. Smile
haha
put a fork in it, this thread is done Smile
done like dinner
You have to least find some humor in "let me get this into one paragraph" followed by a disjointed rant that doesn't even fit on my screen
Not to burst anyone's bubble...

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=...hText=kodi

Alibaba is a publically traded company though, so they should take trademark infringement seriously...

On a side note, I think you guys should try getting Kodi added to the App Store again, sometimes these companies make mistakes and need to be harassed before they fix them.
almost 50k views and it's sounding like moldy leftovers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40