Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-12-26, 18:05)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. When I developed the v19 audio improvement I had the firetv with the firmware out of that time. They fully supported the standard Api. So all this code was merged into kodi.

So, if you want that kodi does the job, use v19 or fritschfiretv build, NOT the official v18.
You have to choose the RAW PT device in kodi settings for audio.

Set speakers to 2.0
Enable dolby transcoding
Enable AC3
Enable dd+
Disable all the rest.

In firetv audio settings choose best available.

That way: dd+ will directly be output, AC3 as well, every other format including lpcm will be transcoded to AC3 by kodi itself.

Obviously you wil loose real lpcm output.

For the firetv cube I found lpcm still working nicely. On this device I plain disable passthrough and let the amazon FW do their dd+ encoding...

If bit perfect is needed get another device 😉
Giving up multichannel PCM formats like 5.1 lpcm, dolby true HD, and DTSMA so you can get ac3 and dd+ working is a huge tradeoff. I will stick to v18 when using my Firestick 4K. Also, PKC doesn't work using Matrix.
I think you have a great issue in understanding things. Kodi did _NOT_ change anything from v18 to v19. Kodi behaves exactly the same. The only thing that changed here recently was amazon breaking features when updating their firmware ...

Updates in v19:
- Fix the wrong delay for firetv a/v sync by implementing most modern audiotrack API benefiting all other android devices as well.
- Remove amlogic workarounds that broke standard use cases
- provide possibility to change PT device from Android IEC to Android RAW (which now greatly helps fucked firetv users after amazon updates)
Hi, I had to reset my firestick 4k and installed an apk from apkpure, Audio passthrough doesn't work for some reason. Can someone link me working apk build in which Audio passthrough works! Thanks in advance.
Don't double post - rather read. Amazon broke it / removed it in their latest firmware update. Use v19 nightly and change the PT device to Android (RAW), then you get at least AC3 and DD+.
With kodi-20201228-af8aded6-master-armeabi-v7a.apk video stutters. What should the audio settings be in Kodi? Android RAW 2.0 channels?
(2020-12-29, 13:26)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Don't double post - rather read. Amazon broke it / removed it in their latest firmware update. Use v19 nightly and change the PT device to Android (RAW), then you get at least AC3 and DD+.

PKC was just updated to support Matrix! However, when I switched to Android RAW, I am not getting passthrough with DD. My Oppo input shows LPCM and I get no sound.

Edit...restarted stick and passthrough of DD+ is working as expected. DD is converted to DD+.

edit 2...Colors look better in Matrix compared to Leia especially HDR 4K. Smoother video too.
(2020-12-29, 13:26)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Don't double post - rather read. Amazon broke it / removed it in their latest firmware update. Use v19 nightly and change the PT device to Android (RAW), then you get at least AC3 and DD+.

In case it hasn't been posted, there may be hope:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments...the_audio/

There's a partial chat transcript, and the poster concludes, "Not much to go on, but he claims they know about it and are working on it. Time will tell."
But, but, but exoplayer :-). So then, let's wait ... I posted some adb logs on github and after going over them I think they really made a mistake. For me it seems they implemented a switch / case and have plain forgotten about IEC android format and just pump it into their DD+ encoder :-)
6.2.2.8 was just anounced. Let's see if that fixes it again. If someone gets it -> please verify.
(2020-12-30, 15:31)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]6.2.2.8 was just anounced. Let's see if that fixes it again. If someone gets it -> please verify.

perhaps 6.2.7.8?
(2020-12-30, 15:31)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]6.2.2.8 was just anounced. Let's see if that fixes it again. If someone gets it -> please verify.

Where do you see these announcements?  Generally, how long after you see that do people start seeing updates on their devices?  I will definitely test this out as soon as it hits my device.  I'm still on Kodi v19 beta, so  I presume I should change the output to IEC, channels back to 5.1 and make sure all of the passthrough options are turned on?  If I do that and get audio from a DTS source, I'll know it's fixed?
(2020-12-30, 12:18)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]But, but, but exoplayer :-). So then, let's wait ... I posted some adb logs on github and after going over them I think they really made a mistake. For me it seems they implemented a switch / case and have plain forgotten about IEC android format and just pump it into their DD+ encoder :-)

Maybe someone accidentally deleted a "break;" statement and no one noticed the fallthrough. It happens. lol
(2020-12-30, 18:11)mamachan Wrote: [ -> ]

perhaps 6.2.7.8?
More likely 7.2.2.8.  That is the new Amazon UI available for the new Fire TV Stick Lite.  No new updates yet announced for the 4K.  They usually list them here.
Hi all !

I experiment trouble with some recordings from my Capture Card Elgato 4k on the Amazon 4k stick.

Seems related to 4:2:2 chroma :

see: https://paste.kodi.tv/ubetifudow

I have no problem if I force recording with a 4:2:0 profile instead of 4:2:2 .
I think it is related to hardware decoding because such things happen on some ndvidia cards with vdpau instead of vaapi.
Does it sound something to you ?

Best regards.
(2021-01-03, 15:51)alea Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all !

I experiment trouble with some recordings from my Capture Card Elgato 4k on the Amazon 4k stick.

Seems related to 4:2:2 chroma :

see: https://paste.kodi.tv/ubetifudow

I have no problem if I force recording with a 4:2:0 profile instead of 4:2:2 .
I think it is related to hardware decoding because such things happen on some ndvidia cards with vdpau instead of vaapi.
Does it sound something to you ?

Best regards.

Very few devices support hardware accelerated decode of anything other than 4:2:0 subsampled video.  4:2:2 will almost always require software decoding whether in MPEG2, h.264/AVC or h.265/HEVC.

(The one exception to this is Apple devices like the Apple TV 4K and iPad that support h.265 up to 4:4:4 for Sidecar/AirPlay reasons (to avoid smeary desktop mirroring). However they don't run Kodi easily, though a Kodi fork, MrMC does run. I've played 4:2:2 216p50 h.265 on the ATV 4K to test.)

The reason for the lack of 4:2:2 support?  There was no real consumer source for it - DVB, ISDB & ATSC broadcast/satellite/cable TV, SD DVDs, HD Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays are all largely based around 4:2:0 chroma for consumer video, and most mobile phone video and consumer mirrorless/DSLR video uses 4:2:0 for consumer codecs.  

DVB can be used with 4:2:2 for broadcast uplinks back to TV stations - but they use non-consumer hardware to decode, and of course higher end cameras allow for higher quality video codecs, but these are aimed at post production workflows, not straight replay.