Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Proposed changes for skin v2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(jmarshall @ jan. 31 2006,23:33 Wrote:remember that the spin controls aren't shown if there is only one page of items (like in the screenshot you showed).
yes i know this, but it also didn't show up with folders that had more than 150 items in it.

so i guess there will be no <spinfont> ?
will take a look.

i've fixed the radio button on settings menus - just waiting for dev cvs to come back online.

i'm also going to change the way the effects transforms are done so that stuff like rotations/zooms are easier to handle in the future. hopefully it won't change things too much.

cheers,
jonathan
a <spinfont> would keep it nice and tidy... save the font changing when changing from list to thumb etc...
new transform system is in cvs. you now have effect="rotate". more info will be in the manual shortly, but it takes the same form i mentioned above (angles are in degrees, measured counter clockwise from horizontal.)

i've also fixed the sliding out of thumbs/lists etc (the problem was the items were being cleared too early.)

will look at <spinfont> - agreed that everything else is there, so why not this.

i have some ideas for the multi-line labelling. my idea is to have a <multiline>true</multiline> tag that then just does as many lines are necessary in order to fit the string into the width. words will be broken at spaces only, so some may still go outside the usual range. sound ok?

cheers,
jonathan
(jmarshall @ feb. 01 2006,22:26 Wrote:you now have effect="rotate".

:nuts: you are just too much jm... t h a n k y o u ! !
(jmarshall @ feb. 01 2006,23:26 Wrote:i have some ideas for the multi-line labelling. my idea is to have a <multiline>true</multiline> tag that then just does as many lines are necessary in order to fit the string into the width. words will be broken at spaces only, so some may still go outside the usual range. sound ok?
sounds great to me ..that is if you are using $info's , but what about normal text ?, than we would need a bunch of <label> tags for only one line of text, and isn't it possible to break lines on the second space, otherwise seperators wil appear directly next to $info's ?

maybe this could do:

Quote:<multiline>true</multiline>
<line1>$info[?]</line1>
<line1color>ffffffff</line1color>
<line2> | </line2>
<line2color>50ffffff</line2color>
<line3>$info[?]</line3>
<line3color>ffffffff</line3color>
<line4> | </line4>
<line4color>50ffffff</line4color>
<line5>just some text to display</line5>
<line5color>ffffffff</line5color>

and break text/words on </lines>, instead of spaces ..this way seperators dont get stuck to $info's and we also get some more colors to work in one individual label.

cheers

smokehead: you misunderstand - that wasn't in reference to the color/info label query at all. i've decided to not change the label system at this point (ie it won't go in for 2.0).

what i was referring to was a method to automatically split information over more than one line if you guys want it.

this is now in cvs. you specify <wrapmultiline>true</wrapmultiline> and make sure you have <width> specified, then if the label is too long for the width it will be split on to multiple lines by breaking the label up at any spaces.

see myweather.xml in cvs for an example.

note that this is now compulsory for myweather labels - there is no longer and "automatic" line breaking in the my weather code.

cheers,
jonathan
and now a request from me:

i want to add a simplified network share setup dialog for 2.0, assuming we can get it done in a short enough time frame (i'm thinking a week).

my current thinking is as follows:

1. a spin control to select the protocol.

2. a button control for the machine name/ip address. when pressed it pops up the keyboard for entry. on left and on right it cycles through the previous options.

3. a browse button so that once there is enough info (xbmc will know this) the user can browse to the particular folder they want the share to be.

4. username and password buttons that act like number 2 (for ftp/smb shares) - we could have these in a separate dialog that pops up if the share isn't authenticated, rather than have it on this dialog (would require some ftp code changes, but nothing too bad probably).

5. a checkmark/radio button for "remember this user/password" for smb shares.

your input will be greatly appreciated. the idea is to make it as easy as we can to input share information. thus the idea of previously used values as to be there for quick lookup - i'm not sure how best to present this though. ideally it'd be something that showed up as you entered it (like the drop down list from edit controls on windows) but obviously the less code we have to do the better.

let me know.

cheers,
jonathan
my suggestion is two fold...

don't have a step-by-step wizard, takes too long. use an entry form... have everything on a single screen that you can manually navigate to and fill in quickly. once you "submit" the entry, it shows up in a list below the entry form. basiclaly a split screen, form on top, input entries below.

allow selecting existing shares from the list with options to edit, delete and copy. the copy button would make quick work of simular setups that only need one thing changed (like the folder name when the server and password and such are all the same).
folder name isn't an issue - this dialog is called from the "add network share..." item on the filebrowser, where all previous successful share attempts will also show up anyway, and be browseable. the idea is you add the network location in this dialog we are building - the actual share folder (or subfolder) is found using the filebrowser.

i agree with the sentiment of as much info on the same page as possible, but not too much as it gets confusing for users. a balance between speed and number of items might be a trade off. i kinda like the idea of previous items being in a list though, but imo keeping the list to just include the items valid for the current entry is what is needed.

eg

item | previous entry 1
| previous entry 2
item | previous entry 3
|
item |

the list on the right gets updated as you change items on the left - sound like a reasonable solution? this doesn't really apply to password though, but as it's associated with username it can auto-fill in with that.

cheers,
jonathan

a quick photoshop mockup. not sure its what youre looking for but it can be a base for discussion.

link to image

i suppose if you want to create some kind of "add network wizard" you probably cant do it without having separate steps. if so the wizard can adapt its steps based on the users choises. fex when to present keyboard or numpad. when to present a browse option or not.
if it is supposed to improve simplicity i guess a wizard also gives more space for simpler help texts at each step. and don't forget the "step 1 of nn" in the header.

dont forget the port number!
you can do that in network address e,g:

ftp://192.168.0.56:21
what are the possibilities of getting thumbnail animation support?

example, you are in games and you are displaying the game icons (take the new ones that are being made here http://www.beckie89.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ )

so under no-focus this icon would appear as normal, but upon focus the icon starts to turn on edge (showing the back cover).  the animations themselves wouldnt be too difficult to make, just getting support for them in the thumb control would be.  just an idea that i think would make things look good.

btw thanks for all the work everyone is doing, xbmc is getting better and better....even though it was awesome to begin with...

getting in on this discussion a bit late, but the current share setup from within xbmc is somewhat limited in that you cannot connect to a domain, only way to do it currently is by adding the share in xbmc.xml...domain support would be awesome to have in this as well. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33