Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: reFocus 1.4.0 for Gotham (deprecated)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jeroen, you know you can't please everyone. If you try, the skin will become a mess real soon. I hope you will continue following your vision regarding the skin. It is my skin of choice by a very large margin and I will continue to use it no matter what changes you make. Before I use to tweak it a little, but now I just use it as it is (not even using my start-up mod). Thanks for your work and all the best wishes.
Fully agree with Galefury, at least everyone is free to mod the skin for his own vision.
Keep it up Jeroen. I'm sure you'll hit the right decisions ...

Cheers mate
I know how obnoxious it can be when you have a bunch of people questioning or criticising your vision and how that can demotivate you. Some people will complain and demand thoughtlessly, others may inspire you to look at something in a way you hadn't before and help further perfect your vision. But at the end of the day, you have to be true to your inspiration, and your work will be better for it.

In any event, thank you for your efforts. I love the skin. Like everyone I have my own preferences that aren't met but that is true of every skin and every person. I'll continue to ask and suggest but ultimately if something bugs me enough I'll figure out how to mod it myself.

Thanks again!
Is there a tutorial or a post on how to add a custom shortcut to the main menu? Basically i want a shortcut to a program, psuedotv..thanks
Thanks people. I fully understand you can never please everyone, that's not really what this is about.

To me it's about a mentality I see here more often than I would like (and by here I mean the entire forum, not just this section) which is being passive and waiting for others to take care of something. Whether that's editing a skin or just checking to see whether a question hasn't already been asked numerous times before.

Most of the requests I get can be tweaked to personal preference in a matter of minutes. "I can't code" is not an excuse, I had to learn too. If it's not something you aspire, that's perfectly fine. But just don't expect me to add something I don't like (or explain why not) because of it.

Proof that I actually am open to other people's ideas can be found in this very thread.

Anyway, now I would really like to leave it here because this may all sound negative but I know there are definitely a lot of great and genuinely helpful people around too.

on topic:

I've pushed changes to Git that implement watch status indicators to list view (sorry Reynald Wink) and that tweak the indicators in other views. Also, the indicators are now enabled by default. Depending on your previous setting, you may have to enable/disable them again.

I had one showstopper issue regarding navigation in the live tv submenu open, which has now been fixed / worked around. To me that brings a Gotham stable release of the skin a step closer. As of now I will not be adding any features or making changes until that stable release is out, just fixes.

So, should you encounter any problems please let me know. I will be aiming for a stable release within the next two weeks. I will probably post one or two compiled release candidate builds so that it can be tested for performance on the rPi for instance.
You might have missed this in my last post because of the kerfuffle shortly after; a small bug I've found in the add-on settings side-menu. The Auto-Update, Notifications and Hide Foreign toggles do not change to show when they are enabled.

FYI: Something I found out whilst reading a couple of other threads recently, the missing textures the skin had a little while ago due to case-sensitive filenames (of which I haven't noticed any recently) aren't a problem when the skin is used with an .xbt file. After reading this I did use the TexturePacker and noticed if you run with the '-dupecheck' option it saves about 35% in size, bringing the .xbt file down to around 13MB from 20MB.

Keep up the great work, it's really appreciated.
(2014-05-09, 01:20)Jeroen Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks people. I fully understand you can never please everyone, that's not really what this is about.

To me it's about a mentality I see here more often than I would like (and by here I mean the entire forum, not just this section) which is being passive and waiting for others to take care of something. Whether that's editing a skin or just checking to see whether a question hasn't already been asked numerous times before.

Most of the requests I get can be tweaked to personal preference in a matter of minutes. "I can't code" is not an excuse, I had to learn too. If it's not something you aspire, that's perfectly fine. But just don't expect me to add something I don't like (or explain why not) because of it.

Sigh....so, you were upset/demotivated/whatever because of what I said, after all? Why not just say that to begin with and be honest about it? What you just complained about is exactly what I said in this thread, so, I guess I'm the guilty party.

(2014-05-09, 01:20)Jeroen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, now I would really like to leave it here because this may all sound negative but I know there are definitely a lot of great and genuinely helpful people around too.
I resent the implication that because I asked a question about your design, that I'm lumped in with the not-so-great, non-helpful people. If I recall correctly, I've not only tried to contribute some ideas during your skin's development (in the 0.9.5 thread), and not only tried to help narrow down and eliminate bugs that I noticed, but I also defended your right to your design decisions when someone bashed you for them a while back. As I've said many times, we have the right to ask a question (it's a public forum), and you have the right to answer with "I've read what you wrote, thanks, but it's my decision and that's that". Let alone the fact that I've always been highly complimentary of your skin's design, which I've always felt was superlative, over the two and a half years I've used it.

Somehow it seems that by me and one or two other people asking a question about your design, you've gotten bent out of shape. I'm sorry you feel that way. I have a whole lot more I want to say about this, and about what you wrote here, but I'm not going to sully this thread any further, and this is the last I'm going to comment on the subject (pm me if you wish). I genuinely wish you continued good luck with your skin development (as I've already said many times already).
(2014-05-09, 02:28)canadave Wrote: [ -> ]....
Please drop it. I could explain why and where you're wrong / drawing the wrong conclusions, but I really don't want to.
(2014-05-09, 02:23)mortstar Wrote: [ -> ]The Auto-Update, Notifications and Hide Foreign toggles do not change to show when they are enabled.
That's strange. Do you mean they never toggle visually at all, or do the toggles not reflect their true setting? I suspect you mean the former, but it's not something I can reproduce.

Quote:FYI: Something I found out whilst reading a couple of other threads recently, the missing textures the skin had a little while ago due to case-sensitive filenames (of which I haven't noticed any recently) aren't a problem when the skin is used with an .xbt file. After reading this I did use the TexturePacker and noticed if you run with the '-dupecheck' option it saves about 35% in size, bringing the .xbt file down to around 13MB from 20MB.
Yeah, using compressed textures definitely brings down the overall size and should speed things up too. The speed difference may not be all that noticeable on "regular" HTPC's but it will certainly give a noticeable performance boost on low powered systems like the raspberry Pi. I actually believe I forgot to use the -dupecheck option so I'll make sure that's used next time.
(2014-05-08, 23:38)Mattfox27 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a tutorial or a post on how to add a custom shortcut to the main menu? Basically i want a shortcut to a program, psuedotv..thanks

Have a look in HomeMenu.xml, if you take one of the main menu buttons as a base and copy and edit that where you want the custom button to be that should be pretty easy to do.
Hi Jeroen, in the lyrics window (script-XBMC_Lyrics-main) is a little hard to read lyrics if we have visualization enabled.
I tried to add a texture to have better readability (from line 17, before the control list 110):
<control type="image">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>1280</width>
<height>520</height>
<texture background="true">white.png</texture>
<colordiffuse>cc114076</colordiffuse>
</control>
Color is base1 color, just more transparent. What do you think?

Second thing, i have switched to open fonts in the last week. The are very good to me.
Hi Jeroen,
for channel Icons in DialogPVRChannelsOSD.xml on line 59 and 101 the aspectratio should be keep instead of stretch, so they don't look squashed.
Also in the gallery view, it looks weird when the highlight frame stays fixed on top when going left/right so i've added the frame to focusedlayout on line 159 in ViewGallery.xml.
I hope you'll use these changes in your next update, keep up the good work!
@henrava + @doktrjones: I'll be packing shortly for a weekend trip, so I'll have to get back to you next week.
Good mini-Holyday, Jeroen.
Another thing: the problem with the weather icon ovelapping the muted icon is solved, thank you.
But... is not better to have a play icon (like the music section) when we play a video?
Why have weather icon, next to remaining time of a movie, if a play icon is alredy present in textures ?
Well that's what is supposed to happen. If not, then that's a bug.
Cheers