Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-12-12, 14:48)Hansje Wrote: [ -> ]"Thats the beauty of dual boot though on USB or SD card, you can always boot into android for web browsing"

Indeed. Haven't put libreelec yet on internal memory. But as long as you don't unplugg power to the device, libreelec just sleeps/wakes upp using the remote power button.

Actually, thought of a "poor mans dual boot" solution by mounting a little switch to the Q-box, and wire it in parallel with the "tooth pick switch" behind the 3.5 mm connector.

One can perhaps use a multi section toggle switch that simultaneously powers on/off the device. Otherwise just a separate switch for power would be fine as well.

Another wild thought is to wire the Q-box LED control output (that can be controlled by some remotes) to a simple transistor circruity that controls the tooth pic switch on the PCB. In that case, dual boot could be done from the remote...

Edit: I couldn't find the "Reboot to recovery" on my box running Android 6.01. Guess that would have made things a bit easier.

Seems like a lot of hassle for dual boot, whats wrong with just ejecting the Micro SD card or USB drive (if you have Libre Elec one of of these) , when you want the box to boot into android. Then when you want LibreElec again just plug the USB drive or SD card back in before powering up.

This is currently the process I use for dual boot, I have LibreElec on a MicroSD card so whenever I power up the device it boots directly into LibreElec. If I want to use android, i just eject the micro SD card before powering up and I get android. Theres no need to keep pressing the reset button via toothpick method , thats only for the very first time you boot LibreElec from SD card.
On another note, the 1st post on this thread is badly out of date hence it is incorrect, misleading and needs updating:

- LibreElec builds have resolved almost all of the issues that are listed as not working for S905 and S905X in the first post.
Yes and yes ... a complete revamp is needed Smile. Hope to get to it when I find some time to.

Actually, if @wrxtasy or someone else wants to take over w/a new thread (and closing this), I'd be cool w/that. Just don't have time at this point in my life.
(2016-12-12, 18:52)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and yes ... a complete revamp is needed Smile. Hope to get to it when I find some time to.

Actually, if @wrxtasy or someone else wants to take over w/a new thread (and closing this), I'd be cool w/that. Just don't have time at this point in my life.

Hi, I've been in and out of this thread all year and tbh I think a new thread isn't even needed. I would be fine if the LibreElec forums "took over" with suggesting various hardware. Most people who have one of these budget boxes are there trying out LE on their boxes, is it really a "Kodi" forum topic? I personally don't think it is.
The LibreELEC forum will have the same "No Spruking" Android Pirate Box policy that the Kodi forum has. LibreELEC simply does not want to support sellers of Pirate Kodi devices. And that is the majority of these AMLogic cheap devices.

Every man and his dog would be pumping up their specific AMLogic devices otherwise. And there is a whole army of them.
Subversive sellers would get involved and there would be utter Chaos.

The other big problem that has been observed is dirt cheap AMLogic devices, with the exact same brand name, from the exact same seller, using the exact same Model number will have different WiFi and Bluetooth chips in them. And internal Hardware components get changed often.
This makes driver support very difficult and time consuming.
It really is hit and miss at the moment buying even (previously) known working devices, especially for WiFi. But you don't pay much for the device to begin with anyway.

I have no desire to support sellers of Pirate Android Kodi Boxes full stop. It's all take by them, and they give nothing back to the Kodi project.
I won't be doing a thread revamp either or opening a new thread. This one is it.

At least with a thread titled Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options we keep all the questions for such devices in the one spot, regardless of whether its directly Kodi related or not. These devices are still Kodi capable hardware after all.
Took a stab at a refreshed post #1. Trying to keep it simple. Am I missing anything?
Does the S905 boxes support HDR file playback even if it doesn't output HDR signal?
(2016-12-13, 15:48)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Does the S905 boxes support HDR file playback even if it doesn't output HDR signal?

S905X and S912 support HDR. Do you mean can a normal S905 still play HDR files in a downscaled format , i.e: without the HDR ? If so...I dont know...
(2016-12-13, 16:04)gsmtech Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-13, 15:48)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Does the S905 boxes support HDR file playback even if it doesn't output HDR signal?

S905X and S912 support HDR. Do you mean can a normal S905 still play HDR files in a downscaled format , i.e: without the HDR ? If so...I dont know...

Yes, that is the question.
Answer is yes... have used my Beelink MiniMXIII w/LibreELEC to play HDR clips on my non-HDR 4K TV and PQ looks on par with Shield's, HiMedia's & Zidoo's.

But, let me make sure (as I'm going from memory having tested some weeks ago) and post back.
Colorspace output is wrong with HDR10 on S905 on my Non HDR TV - colors appears washed out compared to the S905X Xiaomi Mi Box playing the same clips on the same TV where colors appear normal.
A friend of my was looking for a cheap media player that support Hevc (HDR) files playback so I advise him to buy MXQ Pro S905, he received the MQX Pro and told me that when trying to play Hevc (HDR) it doesn't work.

Will any S905X boxes support HDR playback?
(2016-12-13, 16:56)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]A friend of my was looking for a cheap media player that support Hevc (HDR) files playback so I advise him to buy MXQ Pro S905, he received the MQX Pro and told me that when trying to play Hevc (HDR) it doesn't work.

In android or libreelec?
(2016-12-13, 17:09)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-13, 16:56)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]A friend of my was looking for a cheap media player that support Hevc (HDR) files playback so I advise him to buy MXQ Pro S905, he received the MQX Pro and told me that when trying to play Hevc (HDR) it doesn't work.

In android or libreelec?

Android?

Will it work on libreelec?
(2016-12-13, 17:11)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-13, 17:09)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]

In android or libreelec?

Android?

Will it work on libreelec?
I don't have any, but there are plenty of people saying they'll play on libreelec.
Librelec and android are not comparable on these boxes.