Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wondering if you add me also as [email protected]
Found a possible issue with the skill when trying to do “show ‘genre’ movies”.

1) Alexa show sci-fi movies. Alexa replies: Gettiing Sci-fi and fantasy movies. I get a Kodi Connect pop up that says: Nothing Found.
2) Alexa show music movies. Alexa replies: this is not supported.

What additional information would you need to help debug these items.

Thanks
Could you add me [email protected]
(2018-09-02, 13:39)Snow73 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello tkislan, thanks for adding me to the beta.
I have followed the steps but get failed to connect in kodi. In the Amazone app i am linked.
I have filled in my email with and without capital en filled in the secret but still it can not connect?
Here you can find my log https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/BHGBZKhFhG/
13:15:30.959 T:5104 ERROR: 2018-09-02 13:15:30,959 tornado.general WARNING SSL Error on 3568 ('46.101.194.37', 443): [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)
There seems to be an issue with the device you're running Kodi on. There was another user reporting this issue as well.
Unfortunately I don't know what might be causing this issue. But it is something system related (not Kodi, or my addon)
(2018-09-03, 05:35)fakeshan Wrote: [ -> ]Hello @tkislan

First of all thank you very much for the invitation. I got it up and running with my fire stick 2nd gen in no time.

I actually do not have an echo device thus I use my Android phone with the Alexa app installed and it work just fine for now. And when I use the Alexa remote that came with the fire stick, it just searches on netflix and on Prime Video but not in Kodi. Is there a way to get the remote to work with Kodi? Or should I just buy an echo device to use with it?

Thank you in advance for your help.
@fakeshan
I'm actually not sure. I don't own any fire devices, so I can't confirm this. Maybe some other users might be of some help.
@fryster @pbarr @mconverse @Widnesev 
I've added your emails. Here is the link for the skill.
(2018-09-04, 01:47)hslansky Wrote: [ -> ]Found a possible issue with the skill when trying to do “show ‘genre’ movies”.

1) Alexa show sci-fi movies. Alexa replies: Gettiing Sci-fi and fantasy movies. I get a Kodi Connect pop up that says: Nothing Found.

Thanks
@hslansky 

1) Hmm, this is indeed really weird. I have some smaller fixes ready for filtering, but I will try it out, to see what might be the problem.
2) I guess this is something that Amazon has in works.
     - this message actually comes from Alexa, so the request doesn't even reach my skill

As for additional info. A time and timezone of request would be enough, so that I can check in logs, how the request from Alexa looked like, to simulate it locally.
(2018-09-04, 14:27)tkislan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-04, 01:47)hslansky Wrote: [ -> ]Found a possible issue with the skill when trying to do “show ‘genre’ movies”.

Thanks
@hslansky 

1) Hmm, this is indeed really weird. I have some smaller fixes ready for filtering, but I will try it out, to see what might be the problem.
     - this message actually comes from Alexa, so the request doesn't even reach my skill

As for additional info. A time and timezone of request would be enough, so that I can check in logs, how the request from Alexa looked like, to simulate it locally.

Time zone would be Eastern and the requests were around 19:00.
This sounds amazing!

Any chance you could add me?

Edit: removed

Cheers!
@tkislan

Thanks for adding me. I have followed the instructions to the letter and my Kodi connects up to the server beautifully. My echo dot responds beautifully as you would expect and parses the commands and responds correctly but absolutely nothing happens in my Kodi system. It’s definitely connecting because I added a second device with a cap K instead of lowercase and tried again. You added me as a UK, so I’ve changed the locations on all devices to UK and my main Amazon account as well. Is there somewhere else I need to change my location or is something else happening? I’m not actually getting any errors - just no results. I’ve even powered everything off and restarted with the same result. I’m wondering if there’s a setting in Kodi that’s missing.

Alexa can clearly access the Kodi library as she gives an appropriate response for content I do have and chokes if I deliberately use a TV show name I do not have. It’s just there is no display happening. I have a Harmony hub that’s also has a Kodi Scene setup. I disabled this just in case there was a conflict but I wonder if it’s trying to talk to Kodi via the hub instead of via the skill.

This is mighty puzzling and I kind of hope it’s something stupid that I did or did not do.

I’m running Kodi 17.4 on a i5 Mac-mini running osX. The Mac mini does nothing but Kodi. My library is kind of big at 2000+ movies and 40,000+ TV episodes.The content is on NAS only the library on the Mac mini.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thank you, now everything works fine 😃
(2018-09-04, 14:48)hslansky Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-04, 14:27)tkislan Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks
@hslansky 

Time zone would be Eastern and the requests were around 19:00. 
I've found the request, but for what you've requested, this is what genres Alexa has sent ..
["Fantasy", "fantasy", "Sci-Fi & Fantasy", "Série de fantasy", "Film de fantasy"]
(2018-09-04, 19:03)pbarr Wrote: [ -> ]@tkislan

Thanks for adding me. I have followed the instructions to the letter and my Kodi connects up to the server beautifully. My echo dot responds beautifully as you would expect and parses the commands and responds correctly but absolutely nothing happens in my Kodi system. It’s definitely connecting because I added a second device with a cap K instead of lowercase and tried again. You added me as a UK, so I’ve changed the locations on all devices to UK and my main Amazon account as well. Is there somewhere else I need to change my location or is something else happening? I’m not actually getting any errors - just no results. I’ve even powered everything off and restarted with the same result. I’m wondering if there’s a setting in Kodi that’s missing.

Alexa can clearly access the Kodi library as she gives an appropriate response for content I do have and chokes if I deliberately use a TV show name I do not have. It’s just there is no display happening. I have a Harmony hub that’s also has a Kodi Scene setup. I disabled this just in case there was a conflict but I wonder if it’s trying to talk to Kodi via the hub instead of via the skill.

This is mighty puzzling and I kind of hope it’s something stupid that I did or did not do.

I’m running Kodi 17.4 on a i5 Mac-mini running osX. The Mac mini does nothing but Kodi. My library is kind of big at 2000+ movies and 40,000+ TV episodes.The content is on NAS only the library on the Mac mini.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
This is most likely because of the Kodi version. Older versions use kinda old version of Python, and I don't have time to port there, and also, there is already Kodi 18 coming out soon.
You will need a 17.6 version in order for it to work out of the box.
@russco I've added you
Skill link