Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
edit: 3 months after these posts I found a solution/workaround for this issue: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1434501

do you think it would work if i setup a script to backup these files? then just manually run the script after I exit xbmc if i've made changes to my skin/home page etc?

reason I ask is because I'm thinking maybe that would risk saving over a good backup with an empty file?

do you know when the files become enpty? is it when xbmc is closed or is on the next boot?

sorry to bombard you with questions, its just that this is the one last bug that remains on a box i'm otherwise really pleased with.
Just to inform some of you.
I ordered my ATV1200 via mixeshop on the 13th of February in the evening. But I had a lot of doubts about ordering from a Chinese website.
I check my status everyday, but for more than a week, it stayed at the status "processing".

So I finally opened a case at the website, and also contacted a few of those support guys using skype. On Monday the 18th of February.
It seems the Chinese New Year was busy, and thus all orders were being delayed. (It was also shown on the top of the website, but I didn't notice that before).
Also, the ATV1200 was out of stock, and it should be shipped by the end of that week.

On Monday the 25th of February, I got a status update that it was shipped, and I also received a tracking number and website.
At that point, my ATV1200 was already in France.
Yesterday (26th of February) my package was delivered in Belgium.

No extra taxes, no damages to the package, all was included.
I opened the box, connected the ATV1200 to my TV, went through the setup, and directly got a new update.
After the update, I had to go through the setup again, installed XBMC and everything works fine at the first time.

I did had to lower my resolution (of the android, because it's not possible to do it in XMBC) to 720p, because I'm using a wireless connection and full HD caused a lot of buffering.
720p works like a charm, and is still enough quality for me.

If I have some spare time, I'll try to connect my ATV1200 via ethernet over power and full HD. Perhaps that works fine as well.

Anyway, to conclude:
I'm very happy with the service of mixeshop. All my doubts for this site (not other chinese sites ;-)) are gone.
Hi,

I have read the full thread and I see everyone is using this device with android. Is there any hope to be able to run this device with linux?

Any advice about a similar device (dual-core at least 1Ghz, 1GB ram, integrated wifi, usbx2, ethernet) able to run linux+xbmc+1080p hardware decoded under 100$?

thanks in advance.
If you want something with linux why not use Raspberry Pi? Its much cheaper then any available android device.
(2013-02-28, 14:27)-Riffer- Wrote: [ -> ]If you want something with linux why not use Raspberry Pi? Its much cheaper then any available android device.

I want something with a faster cpu than raspberry, at least 1Ghz, and with integrated wireless network. I would prefer to pay 100$ for a device with this features than buying a raspberry.

Something like this hardware/price and able to run linux would be the perfect thing for me
http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php
(2013-02-28, 17:28)esplinter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-28, 14:27)-Riffer- Wrote: [ -> ]If you want something with linux why not use Raspberry Pi? Its much cheaper then any available android device.

I want something with a faster cpu than raspberry, at least 1Ghz, and with integrated wireless network. I would prefer to pay 100$ for a device with this features than buying a raspberry.

Something like this hardware/price and able to run linux would be the perfect thing for me
it bases on amlogic m3 chipset, you can find linux build easily in this forum.
(2013-02-28, 17:57)dual_HD Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-28, 17:28)esplinter Wrote: [ -> ]

it bases on amlogic m3 chipset, you can find linux build easily in this forum.

Here is a Linux image for the 510b

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/pivos-xios...model.html
Does anyone have an answer as to *why* the settings get erased each time you exit XBMC? Seems like something that should be a relatively easy fix for one of the developers if it is even a coding issue and not a permission issue.

Does XMBC save settings changes to a temporary file/folder and then try to write them to the saved location at the time of exit, and if so, is it just a permission issue with XBMC not being able to overwrite the default settings file?
edit: 3 months after these posts about this problem, a solution / workaround has been found: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1434501

i have no idea i'm afraid. i had a look at the folder that these two files are stored in to make sure that full access was allowed and the permissions seem to be fine.

no idea why sometimes you turn on the box and these two files are blank. is it maybe when the box is turned off with xbmc still open? i'll try and see if i can get any more info together later.

its difficult to get a log because i'm not sure when the problem accurs (ie when box is turned off, or when xbmc is exited properly or when the box is turned on).

in the meantime until its fixed properly i have a script working that will save the files to a backup location on my sdcard. i would then run this sript manuallly every time i make changes to my skin etc. then there is a seperate scipt that runs on boot than makes sure the two backup files are copied into the xbmc folder (this script is shown in a previous post by another user).

here is the script that copies the two crucial files out of the xbmc directory and into a backup flder i created:

cp /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml /storage/sdcard0/backup/guisettings.xml
cp /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/profiles.xml /storage/sdcard0/backup/profiles.xml

at the moment this is what happens:

if i make changes in my skin etc
then i exit xbmc
use file explorer to make sure that the two files are not 0k in size (ie not empty)
run my backup script
then next time i boot up the machine a seperate script runs to make sure my new and updated backup files are copied to the xbmc directory so that xbmc uses them.

a pain in the ass, but the best i know how to do till a fix is made.

i'll just make most of my skin changes etc in one long sitting, and then hopefully won't have to make too many more on a regular basis.
(2013-03-01, 15:28)akg4y Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have an answer as to *why* the settings get erased each time you exit XBMC? Seems like something that should be a relatively easy fix for one of the developers if it is even a coding issue and not a permission issue.

Does XMBC save settings changes to a temporary file/folder and then try to write them to the saved location at the time of exit, and if so, is it just a permission issue with XBMC not being able to overwrite the default settings file?

Mine did this for the first week. I did a reset to the factory setting and then re-updated to the latest version of pios. Everything is all good now.
thats really strange because i had to do a factory reset on mine the other day and i still get the problem.
I have the same issue with 2 devices. The XBMC BackUp add-on does not help in solving the problem - restore does not work.
maybe is the root /unroot issue?
i presumed the atv1200 is rooted by default.
Hi everybody

I decided to move my HT system to the next step (at the moment a hocked laptop to the receiver and local storage of the files) and the first step is to buy the right set top box. After reading this thread, I know that the ATV 1200 would be a perfect fit (the other option was the Pivos Xios - much less work, but only HDMI output and single core). The only thing which is holding me off, is that I'm not able to find a remote control app as it exists for the more comercial STBs (as for the Pivos).

So does anybody of you nows about some apps?
(Just to clarify, I'm not talking about remote control apps for the xbmc, but for the rest of the options).

(2013-01-24, 09:05)srle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-23, 21:41)thebearnecessit Wrote: [ -> ]srle, i noticed your "bottom line" comments in the firt post on this thread.

Have these changed now since the performance of the box has improved since then?

Just wondered because it seems a bit harsh in the new context of xbmc working a lot better recently.

"The bottom line:
- Android is not Linux - Linux is way, way better
- If You want XBMC, and price is not an issue, buy a box that works with Linux builds
- If You want XBMC, and price is an issue - go with the somewhat slower but much cheaper Raspberry Pi
- If You want this box and no other - well read this tutorial
- If the optical/coax audio out does not get fixed in future builds then there is hardly any reason to go with this, and not with some cheaper box with analog audio out"

I have to say if you want just a box for XBMC, then a dedicated linux box is probably a more simple solution to set-up and configure
If you have no android ROM flashing experience and do not know what recovery is - I would not recommend a box like this to you

If you are looking for a box to play around with, that works quite well with XBMC now, and can browse the net and run other android apps as well - then this is probably it.
Again, if you are not up to the task of flashing ROM, backing up apps and do not enjoy setting up your system from scratch - then I would suggest something else - something that has commercial XBMC support - like Pivos XIOS

I personally have owned a dozen android phones, starting from G1, all have had custom firmware, and I also develop for android, so this box is a great thing to play with. I bought it to be an XBMC box, but I do not mind playing around with it.

The thing that still annoys me is the lack of NFS support and general android networking mess - but this is an issue that more or less relates to my setup because I added another ethernet interface (usb) to the box. Most people will not need or do that. Lack of NFS is a nasty one, but luckily XBMC has other options - WebDav and HTTP more or less work as well as NFS streaming wise.

I decided to go with this box primarily because of the SPDIF outputs (that work great now), Amlogic chipset and support it got from the XBMC (because of Pivos - I could not get Pivos with a reasonable delivery price, was not willing to go for a single core chipset, and it has only HDMI).

I am guessing that the Pivos guys will be releasing a dual-core XIOS soon (is this it? http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1210.asp ) and if I had that option at the time of purchase I would have probably payed a bit more to have a piece of mind that the box will be supported with XBMC build made for it, and to have an option to run XBMC on Linux.

Thanks Srle for this perfect summary of which people should buy this STB, made the choice easier. Are there any news regarding a new Pivos device (which could make the hole choice a mess again)?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!