Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-02-04, 22:41)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@tutu: Much time for you to learn howto do it and send a succesful PR.

We are all looking forward on you to do this! Thumbs up. Thanks very much in advance.

Thanks but i have enough of programming in my day job Rofl
Guess who else ...
Thanks to all the developers for making this work! TV content now looks fantastic on my Haswell i5 NUC.

Just a quick note on something I did wrong along the way in case anyone else runs into the same issues. I followed the Howto (with the exception of starting directly into xbmc), but I still had screen tearing that was much worse than before I switched to this vaapi branch. My mistake: I'm running Xubuntu 13.10, and I was booting into xfce and running xbmc on top of that (I need a desktop environment for other things). The fix: I installed fluxbox instead, and everything runs perfectly now.

Fluxbox is right there in the howto; I just ignored it thinking xfce and xfwm were lightweight enough to work as substitutes. They're not. If you're running xbmc in ubuntu on top of gnome or kde or xfce and having video issues, give fluxbox a shot! It takes two minutes to apt-get fluxbox, logout, and log back in with fluxbox. (You'll also get lower cpu usage. I thought xfce was light, but with vaapi and yadif on 1080i source I dropped from 4-core cpu usage of 175 down to 120 with fluxbox.)
xfce would probably work if you disable compositing.
A note for UEFI boards, the mini iso can't boot in EFI mode, so I used the server iso and everything works fine, just a bit more package overhead.
Yes, that's right. I hope that will change for 14.04
(2014-02-05, 11:40)Jusic Wrote: [ -> ]A note for UEFI boards, the mini iso can't boot in EFI mode, so I used the server iso and everything works fine, just a bit more package overhead.

Yup faced the same issue myself and just used legacy mode for now. One of these days I might actually try UEFI

(2014-02-05, 01:16)westen Wrote: [ -> ]Fluxbox is right there in the howto;

How did you get fluxbox to boot XBMC by default? I coudn't get it to work for me.
(2014-02-05, 14:48)tutu Wrote: [ -> ]How did you get fluxbox to boot XBMC by default? I coudn't get it to work for me.

Edit "~/.fluxbox/startup" and add "xbmc &" after xmodmap.
Hint:
Quote:While installing from the Server Edition ISO (pressing F4 on the first screen will allow you to pick "Minimal installation"...).
I've a stupid question, how can I update to a new monthly or daily version of Gotham?
I've some problems with the script.extendedinfo and tried the nighly on my windows notebook
and it works...

would a simple "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" work?
(2014-02-05, 23:26)sveni_lee Wrote: [ -> ]I've a stupid question, how can I update to a new monthly or daily version of Gotham?
I've some problems with the script.extendedinfo and tried the nighly on my windows notebook
and it works...

would a simple "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" work?

yes it would, but you first have to add the nightly or unstable repos

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

Juanjo
Doing so will remove the SW Filter and no deinterlacing will be possible anymore ... there is a reason I suggest "this" ppa and not the mainline one. This thread is about advanced deinterlacing...
Thats why I ask. So i can update from the ppa from the first post?
If there are new packages, you can update. If you followed the howto, doing apt-get update && apt-get upgrade is not forbidden. The PPA is rebased to xbmc mainline nearly daily.
Thanks,
I tink there will be a new packages, I install xbmy by following the HowTo 4 weeks ago... :-)