Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR and PVR-Testing Branch - Without manual compile!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Would it be possible by your how-to to watch IPTV?
I've got a problem where XBMC crashes on start. It only gets to the XBMC logo at which point the little cursor/X appears and it restarts XBMC, this happens continuously.

It only has happened after I rebooted after sorting my channels.conf file.
ant_thomas Wrote:I've got a problem where XBMC crashes on start. It only gets to the XBMC logo at which point the little cursor/X appears and it restarts XBMC, this happens continuously.

It only has happened after I rebooted after sorting my channels.conf file.

VDR is not starting. This happened to me.
There must be something wrong with the channels.conf file.
AuXBoX Wrote:VDR is not starting. This happened to me.
There must be something wrong with the channels.conf file.

Do you know how you go about solving the channels.conf file issues? It was the one generated with the

Code:
scan -x 0 -o vdr -a 0 /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-RidgeHill > /etc/vdr/channels.conf

style command (obviously changing for my local tv mast).
Is there a way to disable TV from the command line so I can get back to using XBMC without having LiveTV enabled?
ant_thomas Wrote:Is there a way to disable TV from the command line so I can get back to using XBMC without having LiveTV enabled?

I just ssh into the xbmc then delete the guisettings.xml to reset the xbmc without livetv.
But you will lose your settings, not a biggy really
or while change the setting inthe guisetting while in there with
Code:
sudo nano ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml
and edit
ant_thomas Wrote:Do you know how you go about solving the channels.conf file issues? It was the one generated with the

Code:
scan -x 0 -o vdr -a 0 /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-RidgeHill > /etc/vdr/channels.conf

style command (obviously changing for my local tv mast).

do this:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/vdr stop
w_scan -ft -c [b]AU[/b] -o7 >> /etc/vdr/channels.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/vdr start
changing the country code in bold

You might have change the permission of the channels.conf file if so:
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /etc/vdr/channels.conf

or delete the channels.conf and then start the process
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/vdr stop
sudo rm /etc/vdr/channels.conf /var/lib/vdr/channels.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/vdr start
then start from the top and scan again
Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a go in a bit and report back. I've moved back to TVHeadend but I want to give VDR a go because TVHeadends recording doesn't work for me!
Finally got it working I think my main issue was XBMC using the VNSI addon when VNSI wasn't installed. Streamdev was installed but there was no addon.xml file for the Streamdev addon. So I ended up making the Streamdev addon.xml, that meant XBMC would start fine but there was no channels. To fix this I had to copy the channels.conf file to /var/lib/vdr/channels.conf.

Anyway, time to edit the TV database to get the channels in order!

Thanks for the help.

Oh, also, in guisettings.xml to disable the TV if things have messed up you just need to change

Code:
<pvrmanager>
        <channelmanager></channelmanager>
        <channelscan></channelscan>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
        <resetdb></resetdb>
    </pvrmanager>

to

Code:
<pvrmanager>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
        <resetdb></resetdb>
    </pvrmanager>
I seem to have an issue with w_scan.

It generates a working channels.conf file but it fails to add all the channels from each DVB-T multiplex.

Anyone any idea why?
I've figured out what's happening. Some of the channels in the UK are only broadcast at certain times. From what I can tell BBC Three starts at 7pm and CBBC and CBeebies stops at 7pm so if I scan before 7pm I don't get a complete list, and if I scan after 7pm I don't either. Annoying.
Swifty Wrote:AuxBox; How are you loading VDR ?

If it loads through /etc/init.d then you could pre-pend the vdr init script with 99-

eg; /etc/init.d/vdr < changes to > /etc/init.d/99-vdr

This would make VDR run last, hopefully by which time your firmware has loaded for your tuner.

Edit, whoops just noticed Hepi has probably already answered this one.. if so ignore Smile

Swifty this did not work. The only way i can get it to work is righting a script to restart vdr and link it on the rc.local with a time delay.
The loading time of the firmware changes so when i do the delay xbmc might reboot a couple of times before it starts because vdr hasn't started yet.
Bit of a dodgy way but it works for now
ant_thomas Wrote:Finally got it working I think my main issue was XBMC using the VNSI addon when VNSI wasn't installed. Streamdev was installed but there was no addon.xml file for the Streamdev addon. So I ended up making the Streamdev addon.xml, that meant XBMC would start fine but there was no channels. To fix this I had to copy the channels.conf file to /var/lib/vdr/channels.conf.

Anyway, time to edit the TV database to get the channels in order!

Thanks for the help.

Oh, also, in guisettings.xml to disable the TV if things have messed up you just need to change

Code:
<pvrmanager>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
        <resetdb></resetdb>
    </pvrmanager>

to

Code:
<pvrmanager>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
        <resetdb></resetdb>
    </pvrmanager>

Are you able to use the streamdev addon?
dongioia Wrote:Are you able to use the streamdev addon?

I'm fairly sure I was able to use both the streamdev and VNSI addons.

Just checked and I'm currently using the streamdev addon, not sure what the difference is between them or which is better either.
Hi
I don't know if this has been mentioned before if it has I apologise but I couldn't find it in the forums.
I have PVR testing 2 and xbmc running successfully after following the instructions on this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=72940
and its great but the live tv "search" function does not appear to work for me.

I click search the screen and it opens, I type in a phrase e.g top gear and i get no results even though I know it is within the EPG. I also tried top AND gear, the internal search function appears to work when I click find matching programmes after recording a programme just not manually from the menus.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30