Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@Bram77

You have the Asrock ION 330HT, how did you resolve your remote controller, specifically your internal receiver?
Yes I do. I don't use the internal receiver, I have a Motorola NYXboard remote. But I'll have a look at it! Thanks for pointing out that it doesn't work.
What Lirc configuration did you apply?
the internal receiver driver is in kernel space only, I have never managed to get it working on newer Linux, just installing lirc and reconfiguring doesn't have any selection for the nuvoton transceiver/receiver, so I cant apply any lirc config file that is at all compatible. Or at least nothing that is obvious,

I could be looking at it wrong, I really have no experience to speak of in order to figure it out. Sad
(2012-10-10, 09:56)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]the internal receiver driver is in kernel space only, I have never managed to get it working on newer Linux, just installing lirc and reconfiguring doesn't have any selection for the nuvoton transceiver/receiver, so I cant apply any lirc config file that is at all compatible. Or at least nothing that is obvious,

I could be looking at it wrong, I really have no experience to speak of in order to figure it out. Sad

Have tried ir-keytable? ir-keytable maps rc events to key presses. You can actually have Lirc listen to events from ir-keytable.
This thread is good start: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101151
I have had the internal IR receiver working using OpenElec of XBMCubuntu (a while ago). The receiver isn't very capable so I've switched to an external MCE receiver (much better!) and after a while to the NYXboard. Nothing compares to the latter Smile
I found the remote to be lacking, both in power and reliability, I have replaced the remote and it works 100% better than the original, atm because i can only get it working with lucid, I roll back to the backup, I spent hours looking for a fix for newer Linux's, Jbravo links looks like something to try.

I would still rather use the internal receiver. personally I feel xbmcbuntu is too bloated, but is far more flexible that something like openelec. I would rather use your script/solution since that avenue has more appeal, then the alternatives. I would say that's just me, but clearly its not, many people rather do it this way.

If you look into it let me know, please. I would like to read your take on your findings.
Could you maybe try and install the 10.04 driver and see if that works?

64 bit
Code:
cd ~
wget http://ubuntuone.com/4Hk69xl1Ip05227RlEtnj9
sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04.deb

32 bit
Code:
cd ~
wget http://ubuntuone.com/5lA4cJMRetfx8bRXHIhteR
sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04.zip

no the drivers are expecting a kernel version and lucid via the script I linked already fixes the compatibility but the same fix wont work outside lucid. I wish it would be that easy. Also the drivers will also require a specific lirc version in addition to the kernerl version. Asrock/nuvoton have no clew how to make drivers for linux.
The IR receiver isn't that good that I personally think it's worth the effort to go through all kinds of hoops to try and get it working. I'll try compiling the driver manually, but that will probably fail to.
If you cant afford anything better, the hoops become necessary, still since the driver exists in kernel now and it did not back when, ideally makes more sense to have some solution that wont require a compile each time a new kernel comes out, for the sake of not jumping hoops I have stuck to lucid.

We dont live in ideal world so I guess Ill have to keep jumping. Wink
anyone know how to make the init script have xbmc restart if fialed i have a feeling its just a command in the start-stop-daemon line it --force-reload=1 or something but i'm not sure
man ive been reading man pages and wiki's but nothing is clear to me. i just dont wanna have to dig out a keyboard everytime xbmc crasshes (which when testing GIT builds it happens quite often. lightdm audomaticaly restarts when it fails i am trying to figure out how to add it in the init script but a little confused
How's about what this guy is suggesting here: http://linuxadminzone.com/simple-upstart...p-running/

Code:
description     "MyMon: monitoring my custom processes."

start on startup
stop on shutdown

respawn

exec start-stop-daemon --start --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/mymon.pid --exec /root/daemon/mymon.sh >> /var/log/mymon.log 2>&1

The respawn sounds encouraging....I can't test it from my end ATM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: looks like this is an Upstart concept - might not work since it looks like we're currently working the /etc/init.d SysV system.

EDIT2: would reshaping this script to work with the /etc/init/*.conf Upstart jobs not work?

EDIT3: alanwww1's guide uses an Upstart job - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114368 - I'll try it out later...
Does xbmc-live package not take care of restarting xbmc.bin on crash? The init script traditionally replaces xbmc-live but not entirely, but again I cant be sure how it all works in detail enough. In this post in a reply to you about similar issue, I looked around and cant find a solution, perhaps asking a xbmc developer that deals with this kind of stuff?

As far as I know xbmc-live was the answer. Personally I cant give a definitive answer but I will look, on my travels.
xbmc-live isn't being installed because it would mean that lightdm needs to be installed to.
May be there is a simpler solution. I could run a conjob that checks every 5 seconds or so if the process 'xbmc' is running. If not, it should execute 'sudo service xbmc start'. That way the script can stay as it is with minimal changes or overhead. It's not the most elegant solution, running a background process continuously, but the performance impact is ignorable and it's simple. Unless someone tells me it's not Smile