Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I edited the Grub and added this "quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=0" now XBMC is opening OK. I have not updated the Kernel to 3.8 however. Thanks!
Honestly you made me waste a ton of my time and polluted this thread with offtopic information just to tell me this? Your going on the naughty boy list for Santa.

uNi
OK I blew away the 12.10 install and just installed 12.04 LTS minimal, ran the XBMC install script again and this time it boots in to XBMC no problems however its XBMC 11 Eden now. In the XBMC System info - Summary it says XBMC 11.0 GIT: Unknown. Might have to stick with 12.10 as the script with that installs XBMC V12 Frodo.

This script is for newbie users right? To help make it easier for them to get XBMC installed. If another user on Sandy Bridge tries to use this script and has the same boot issues, our talk here will surely steer him in the right direction. How is that off topic ?

Cheers
No one is going to read all 83 pages and dozens of posts of a script related Thread to find a Ubuntu related issue and solution.
This thread is for script related issues™
The script did not cause these issues, Ubuntu did (the kernel more specifically)

FYI impossible to have EDEN installed when script installs from XVBA ppa and that only has Frodo+, If you have Eden you have worked some of your magic and changed ppa or you have modified script at some stage,

uNi
Just wanted to mention that I had issues with ZeroConf announced services when installing using this script. (Tried both 12.10 minimal and 12.04LTS)
Things like AirPlay or the discovery of the web server in the remote control app were not working. None of the services would show up.
Tried XBMCbuntu instead and they started working again.
Thought you guys might want to know. Thanks!
He Bram.
Just supscriped to thank you and everyone who helped you, for your how-to and script and to let you know
how it runs on my hardware

Please let us know Smile
Hi,

I've got a little problem. Sometimes, when XBMC is booting, I can only see the login prombt. If I press CTRL + ALT + F8, XBMC boots finally into the normal screen.
But I have to plugin a keyboard to do that!

So what can I do that XBMC is finally booting in the normal screen?

And this login prombt appears not every time! Onyl sometimes!

Sry for my bad english Sad

Pikeman
@Pikeman: Not sure what's cousing your boot problem. You could try to run the installationscript again (over your current installation) with the same options you chose before except for the way XBMC should be started. For me the init.d method works best. This could be different for you.
damn lost half my last post... (Read the f#*^ing manual!!)

So to make it short, thanks it runs great on my asus E45M1-l deluxe motherboard

Only 3 things not

1 airplay won't do it, zeroconf and allow airplay is on,

2 CPU Temp is not showing (i'm still on google for that)

3 CPU Usage spikes up and down when idle, ( not so much when playing video)

All and all, very happy!!
1- Your not first to say that, but since I dont have or need apple stuff my interest is 0 maybe bram77 can do some of this support Wink
2 - see wiki advancedsettings.xml (wiki) presuming you installed lm-sensors as well
3- Normal isnt it?

uNi
Although I'm currently running OSX ML on my workstation (tripple booting with WIndows 7 and Ubuntu 13.04) for iPhone development purposes I !really! don't like Apple and everything asociated to it. So I have no experience with airplay and can't really test it. But I'll have a look at it anyway Smile.

Since we're closing in on the Ubuntu 13.04 release date my plan is to create a new version of the script for that. I have been using 13.04 for months and it's very stable. I'll incorporate all of the stuff emntioned in this thread in the new version and apply the changes to the 12.10 script afterwards.

EDIT: Could someone try and install this on their machine, reboot it and see if airplay/zeroconf works?

Code:
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon
1 dont' realy use it, but just to mention it...
2 thanks i'll look in to that
3if its normal, its ok by me, just never seen it on xbmcbuntu 11

Thanx for your reply!
@ bram

Tryed the avahi-deamon, but no airplay, and now no remote app anymore ( official xbmc remote)