Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys.

I have a silly question for you.. I think I've got an old an old XBMC version running and I wanted to update it.
I think I have 12.0 alpha 7 and wanted to update it to the stable 12.0 Frodo.
I tried a simple sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get update. Doesn't seem to find anything new to install...

Then I tried:
sudo apt-cache policy xbmc

xbmc:
Installed: 2:12.0~git20121006.1450-af30ed9-0quantal
Candidate: 2:13.0~git20130213.2107-1d92d14-0quantal
Version table:
2:13.0~git20130213.2107-1d92d14-0quantal 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-xvba/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
*** 2:12.0~git20121006.1450-af30ed9-0quantal 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1ubuntu2 0
500 http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe i386 Packages

If I am not totally lost, an old version is installed and a new one can be installed ? But why doesn't it update it ?
Can anyone help me out or even point me to the right direction on how to proceed ?
Thank you very much uNi.
Now it's updated to 12.0. I actually read that post earlier but somehow didn't see the "forest from the trees".
Well, no matter. Now I'm happy.

Thanks a bunch,
Manemies
I've been reading this thread with interest and it looks to be exactly what I need.

I used to play with *nix a few years ago (mostly Ubuntu) but we fell out when it wouldn't play nicely on my HTPC at the time (it had a abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD Motherboard with integrated ATI Radeon Express 1250 Graphics and I just couldn't get it to use the GPU to decode and with only having a dual core s/w 1080p playback was poor) but now I am building a new HTPC and I want to give Ubuntu another go.

Spec:
Silverstone Milo ML03B microATX, Black, Slim/HTPC Case with USB 3.0
SanDisk 128GB SSD
AMD A10 5800K Black Edition 3.8GHz Socket FM2 4MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H A85X Socket FM2 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Ballistix Elite Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Corsair 430W CXM Builder Modular 80 Plus Bronze PSU 3 Year Warranty
Xenta Wireless HTPC Keyboard With Built In Touchpad

Will Ubuntu/XBMC use the Integrated HD 7660D for decoding? Can anyone foresee any problems I might have?

My current HTPC (which is being replaced by this) also runs Sabnzb+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Headphones. Will I be able to install them on this build or will I need dependencies?

I also have a USB 3 RAID 5 DAS, is this going to be easy enough to get working with this set-up?

I am really grateful for any help/support and additional info.

D
I foresee problems with AMD. Try Intel mobo with nvidia GPU for proper Linux support. It really makes a difference.
Greetings, I'm new to XBMC and the forums, however not to Linux. I don't really have the time to build an HTPC from scratch (kids), so I ordered a new Zotac ID-42 box, it uses a Celeron 847 (*I think) processor with Nvidia GT-610 GPU and I also got an Intel 60GB SSD with about 8gb's of RAM(Mostly cause it was cheap). I'm pretty sure this will work on this setup as I have Ubuntu on my Netbook with similar (Intel Celeron) specs and it works great. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with this box or something like it. On the OpenElec forums I found out that it doesn't work so well with this setup as it did the old ION setup and I'd ave to use a Generic ISO build and lose the 64 bit resources(RAM mostly). Also just wanted to say hi and I like the work that was put into this. I like the idea of being able to run command line when needed but also having the wife be able to use it easily as I've cut all cable cords.
@Frank-NL

Nonsense, Nvidia is better supported and easier to setup, sure however.

Not being a ATI user, many use the script to setup ATI (it supports ATI) the script uses xvba ppa (nightly) and it should support if building on 12.10 base any ATI gpu greater than HD5xxx series, for ATI HD5xxx or lower than 12.04LTS is required because AMD are such a great developer and care for their customers with their driver support (not).

uNi
Good luck suspending with fglrx. AMD on Linux is just sad. He was asking for advice so my advice is buy Intel and Nvidia.
@Frank-NL Appreciate the advice but I've already bought the Hardware. Should I go back to Win7/XBMC?

So will the Linux drivers work with the Integrated HD 7660D for decoding?

What about Sabnzbd/Sickbeard et al and the USB3 DAS?

Or dare I say this, is OpenELEC (with the SABnzbd-Suite) the better way to go? Will OpenELEC use the Integrated HD 7660D?
@DJB007. yes it does work well on linux but on windows its better, thanks to better drivers. the trinity apu is quite good for htpc. on Linux it will not pass thru surround audio over hdmi to a receiver, not that I do that on the three boxes that we use. stereo over HDMI is good for our useage. h264 hardware decode via xvba is fantastic. mpeg is software decoded but your apu will not sweat on 1080i ota stuff. xvid no problem.. I say try it. nvidea does have more nice features on Linux. but they don't make an apu. trinity is priced very well. it also sips power if configured right. one box idles at 16watts 24 watts playback and plays everything including HD flash content. I always do xubuntu desktop install first. username. xbmc. then install ati proprietary driver. verify and setup sound. then follow wsnipex's xvba guide. it has never failed me. Trinity requires 12.10 xubuntu to get the latest kernel. else HDMI sound driver fails. to auto start xbmc just go to settings and choose to start xbmc automatically via the guis. good luck and enjoy your new apu. ATI drivers are not perfect but more features get added slowly.. but the limitations are not that bad. play with it and I bet you will surprised at the quality of video playback.
Great Script for HTPC Install. Thanks to everybody that make it possible.

(2013-03-03, 09:52)gfisher Wrote: [ -> ]@DJB007. the trinity apu is quite good for htpc. on Linux it will not pass thru surround audio over hdmi to a receiver, not that I do that on the three boxes that we use. stereo over HDMI is good for our useage. h264 hardware decode via xvba is fantastic. mpeg is software decoded but your apu will not sweat on 1080i ota stuff. xvid no problem.. I say try it. nvidea does have more nice features on Linux. but they don't make an apu. trinity is priced very well.

Good to hear as I am looking that way as well.
I have mostly NVidia at the moment.

How good is ATI or Intel de-interlacing on Ubuntu at the moment?

Thanks
ati hardware deinterlace does bob. it is pretty good on these chips no obvious lines or jaggies while playing when deint. is set to auto. interlace artifacts bother me on large flat panels. my sb i5 hd3000 is very mediocre to unwatchable on interlaced material. Intel deinterlace that I tried was Bob and maybe some others. it might be better on new kernels or with better setup. it was good on progresive material. I don't have any nvidea xbmc builds to compare. sounds like it is good. I record a lot of ota 720p/1080i mpeg2 and cable h.264 1080i. frodo, like this script installs does great on the amd apu thanks to all of the hard work of the xbmc xvba team.

ozra. Note ... my US content is mostly. 24/30/60 fps. no 25/ 50p/i.
First off, thanks for the automated script ... great stuff!

I joined the forum simply to ask what sort of CPU usage you guys are seeing when xbmc is idle?

I recently installed on a hp proliant n40l, with the difference that I used ubuntu server instead of the minimal, and when I use "top" to see the cpu usage, mine is always in 16.9%

Isn't that a bit high?

Cheers!
Welcome @xicosm

Quote:Isn't that a bit high?

No. Considering what your running in background in services alone in Ubuntu server, top should tell you what's using the most cpu time.

Code:
ps -eo pcpu,pid,user,args | sort -k 1 -r | head -10
Will tell you whats eating your cpu time.

Anyway this is 100% unrelated to script support and is offtopic, take it to own thread somewhere else please.

uNi
HI All! Thanks a lot for all of this, it's really helped me out - my first Ubuntu experience.

I'm having a problem though - my box doesn't seem to like to boot up when HDMI is connected. I have to manually unplug the HDMI connection and boot the machine for it to get into XBMC.

I'm using the Upstart script - i'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!