Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@wuppy

XBMC-live installs its own auto start scripts (xbmc-live is a helper program to start xbmc.bin) so at best you need to purge all the xbmc and remove the configuration files.

Usually the config files are /etc/init/ called xbmc_something.conf and /etc/init.d/ (a symlink)

Purge xbmc

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge xbmc xbmc-data xbmc-live

Run the script again.

Alternatively wipe the system and start fresh.

hope it helps Smile

@illiac4

Not the best idea to run xbmc as root, besides you can run anything if xbmc is part of "sudo" group.

uNi
(2012-11-07, 05:31)vbat99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-04, 13:25)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-04, 06:56)mrbiggmd Wrote: [ -> ]OK. I am close now.

I ran the script and I get the following error on my tv after a reboot.

Screen Shot

Does this have to do with the video card? I believe it is an ATI Radeon HD3650 (old I know Big Grin)

Your videocard is too old. The script script supports ati series 5xxx and up.

Well that's a pity. I was going to test this with a mobo with onboard HD3200 graphics (HDMI).

Best you put minimum specs required on OP.

Best of Luck with script. Was following whole thread unit came to this post.Confused

I'll put it in the OP. The second post contains the information but I understand it's better to also mention it before you start installing XBMC minimal.
You can still install the fglrx driver manually afterwards though!

I'll add support for older ATI card when I've found the time to work on the script again.
@illiac4

Not the best idea to run xbmc as root, besides you can run anything if xbmc is part of "sudo" group.

Yes but to run the script with sudo you have to input password to be able to execute it.
And to be hones XBMC machine is not very mission critical factor.... well unless your wife is really 'mad max' Smile
(2012-11-07, 12:01)illiac4 Wrote: [ -> ]@illiac4

Yes but it wants to have password so the scripts can not be run from within xbmc. And to be hones XBMC machine is not very mission critical factor.... well unless your wife is really angry Smile

As uNi already indicated you'd be better off to modify /etc/sudoers and add the commands you want NO password required for. I've done this successfully for my own scripts and it works well.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

1) edit the /etc/sudoers via sudo visudo

2) add an entry like the following at end of file

<user> ALL=NOPASSWD:/sbin/iptables

Need full path of the target command(s), separate multiples commands with a comma.

3) you should then be able to run items like 'sudo iptables -vnL' and NOT have to enter a password...note that sudo prefix still needed.

BE CAREFUL with this! Backup the original file before editing and if you bugger /etc/sudoers you'll need to boot off a LiveCD, mount filesystem and fix it that way...if /etc/sudoers buggered you can't run 'sudo visudo' again until fixed via LiveCD....tricky I know, but it works.

And before asking this IS different from giving user root access since here you specify exact commands and they still need sudo in front of them.

Made an unattended install

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21136636/Stuff/1210/mini.iso

installs VDR as option too + several stuff like my custom xbmc config folder

simply choose "Automatic HTPC install"
@uNiversal
thx for the hints.

I completely removed xorg, x11-common and all xbmc packages, also purged and autoremoved everything. then "updatedb" and "locate xbmc" and kill everything remaining. all links in /etc/rcx.d, /etc/init (there was nothing) and /etc/init.d

then there were some logo's and the xbmc user left over. so reboot and script again.

I used xinit.d as startup method and upstart both with all the removal steps above - nothing helped. I still have the same symptoms:
After boot I end up with the console login showing Sad

questions:
when installed with init.d as statup i get this when i try to control the service
Code:
xbmc@xxx:~$ sudo start xbmc
start: Unknown job: xbmc

when i installed with upstart i get this output:
Code:
root@xxx:~# start xbmc
xbmc start/running, process 1875
xbmc start/running, process 2030
root@xxx:~# stop xbmc
stop: Unknown instance:
xbmc start/running, process 2186

any ideas or alternatives ? :/
@wuppi

At this stage it would probably be faster if you reinstalled everything from scratch, and use the upstart script method only

uNi
(2012-11-07, 11:36)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-07, 05:31)vbat99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-04, 13:25)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]Your videocard is too old. The script script supports ati series 5xxx and up.

Well that's a pity. I was going to test this with a mobo with onboard HD3200 graphics (HDMI).

Best you put minimum specs required on OP.

Best of Luck with script. Was following whole thread unit came to this post.Confused

I'll put it in the OP. The second post contains the information but I understand it's better to also mention it before you start installing XBMC minimal.
You can still install the fglrx driver manually afterwards though!

I'll add support for older ATI card when I've found the time to work on the script again.

@Bram

thanks for considering this. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

I find it a pity that as XBMC progresses, we're having to get more and more powerful hardware to enjoy the advances. (Almost sounds like Micro$oft) I've still got one system running Camelot, as it's below minimum spec for Dharma or Eden. It's running 720p videos perfectly. Just I loose out on the new plugins. Oh Well.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.
(2012-11-07, 21:36)Krautmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Made an unattended install

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21136636/Stuff/1210/mini.iso

installs VDR as option too + several stuff like my custom xbmc config folder

simply choose "Automatic HTPC install"

Can you post just a script so we can see what it does. Personally i prefer original minimal iso with script. Before the install i like to 'analyse' the script.

I have also installed by myself:
- boblight
- transmision daemon with pushover script
- sick beard
- couch potato
- forked-daap
- samba
- plugin.program.executor to be able to execute some scripts from inside XBMC (f.e. change lights of ambilight, restart some deamons,...)

To do:
1. I have to find out how to put internal disk to sleep after some time. (Hopefully easy)
2. Still have to find out to run x11vnc without getting black screen. (Hard)
3. Install headphones service. (Easy task)
4. Try the new way to parse xml from tvheadend without using xmltv. This should be new feature of 3.2 (Easy task)
5. When my IR remote comes, I have to make them work.
If some one would be so kind as to give me some help here. I have not worked with linux for some time now or had a standalone htpc for that matter so I am vary rusty. Add to that I'm trying to install to a Zotac Zbox nano AD10 with the UEFI bios and I can't seem to get Ubuntu to boot after I install! I have used the wiki howto with a Xubuntu install and did get it up and running but fund it slow compared to OpenELEC witch I found abite on the slow side. From the past I had found it better to run on a minimal install so I would love to get this working. I did update to the newest BIOS and set my UMA to 1Gig and I'm installing to an OCZ Agility 120gig ssd.
@ leighdog

Since you dont specify/explain what help you need, and the installation instruction are quite simple, perhaps you would care to start with post 1 and move to post 2 and to tell us were you getting stuck.

FYI i dont know anything about uefi bios or your machine for that matter I dont know anything about AMD/ATI GPUS. or what UMA even is. (I would guess its video memory which sounds like enough and can be changed later).

So, you need to make a disk for minimal iso either Ubuntu 12.10 or Ubuntu 12.04 (i prefer 12.04 since is a LTS (long term support) and install it as per post 1 instructions and then goto post 2

We can only try help if we know the problem Big Grin

Don't worry, Linux is not scary just really dont start stressing or panicking before you even start it wont help you or us. Big Grin

uNi

uNiversal thanks for the quick reply.

I can follow post 1 and 2 fine with no problems at all and have one box up and running from it. UMA is for video ram and is not an isuse at all. As far as I can tell UEFI is for faster boot time as that is what I see on my server whitch is running Xubuntu 12.10 it boots in 8sec and has an option to install a efi partion and will not boot with out it. So under the 12.10 and 12.04 minimal install this option for efi partion is not there even if I do the guided install or set my partions my self. So when I finish the install and reboot I do not get a comand promt so I can't go to the second post at all.
Did you press alt+F1 alt+f2 alt+f3 etc? You should get a prompt somewhere..

Did you by chance install the openssh server?

AT this stage there should be no video drivers, you finish the install remover the usb that you add the inhalations files and reboot, presume you installed GRUb right?

uNi.
Sorry I don't follow on the Alt+F1 2 or 3 is that for boot over ride? I did install openssh and install grub to the MBR but I think that is the problem I don't get the comand promt when I reboot the system.
The alt+F1 etc was to get other tty. directly on box anyway

Login via ssh with user xbmc and password you created.

uNi