Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I booted into recovery, remounted the file system as read write and edited the grub file.

Unfortunately there is no change. I can still see POST messages and the XBMC splash with the progress dots. There after nothing.

Let me know what other information I can provide to facilitate solving this.

Thanks for the assistance so far.
You did run update-grub after the changes to grub right?

Is the boot process you think further along better or worst?

When you install linux minimal iso (before you run the script) does it boot ok?

Can you boot and login in machine via CTRL+F1 or F2 or F3 and if you can, does running xinit xbmc do anything?

The only other files that could indicate something is in the /var/log/syslog and other files in there (cant remember all of the names and locations but having a read will probably shed some light). HAve a rumage and a read for abnormal or errors or failures to load something driver related.

Again if anyone is reading these and if you have anything to contribute please jump in.

uNi
(2012-10-23, 00:36)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@Bram77

Here's a quick and dirty HOW-TO quick fix for 24p and 23.976p playback on the ION1 with NVidia 304.60 drivers (Hopefully will help script get a bit better)

We start with the xorg.conf for 30x.x drivers (for 29x.xx another xorg.conf will be needed). Still using minimalistic install script to work fully.
So on and ahead we go!

Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=pQA9W8Bn -O /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now setup xbmc for all this to work as follows in screenshots!

Step 1) Image

Step 2) Image

On this next one we are selecting auto for de-interlace (!!very important!!) and then saving it for all movies.

Step 3) Image

Yes last one, that's it... Set default for all Movies... and walla.! Smile Click YES on XBMC dialog.

Step 3a) Image

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr

My xbmc-xrandr output is also pimped out! Big Grin

Now everyone's misery, pain, blood sweat and tears and even a little pee, should allow us to enjoy perfectly smooth playback in XBMC from the usual media sources.

This thanks to many hours of scouring topics and to a wonderful creature called fritsch! We Love fritsch and in fritsch we trust with our virgins.

Apologies to everyone for nagging yesterday and before, dire!!

uNi

Just a small question ;-) and excuse that I posted it here on the xbmc forum instead of openelec forum.
I am using your xorg.conf on an Openelec Build Frodo Alpha7 and it works like a charme, donĀ“t know exacly which nvidia driver was build in that openelec version.

Yesterday I updated to Beta1 Openelec and it looks like that i got now stuttering again, xbmc.log pasted here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=15633 gave me on line 1066 several
DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo::CalcDropRequirement - dropped in decoder, Sleeptime: -2.148812, Bufferlevel: 4, Gain: 0.042292

I think Nvidia 31x.x is in the new Beta1 Openelec build, so my question is if the xorg.conf posted by you also work in the never nvidia drivers of Beta1.

rgs

Jan

I wouldn't know, I dont use openlec (this setup works in general) or if this is even related to the xorg at all, I am on stable releases of the Nvidia driver 304.64 your system is using 310.19 again I dont know anything about openelec and you would have to find a way to use a lower revision of the drivers to at least determine if its the drivers causing this you could also try the default xorg for your release.

If you have any problems open a new thread either @openelec forums or somewhere in main forums perhaps Fernetmenta can help. This thread is really for the script discussion only.

thank you

uNi
(2012-11-27, 14:00)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't know, I dont use openlec (this setup works in general) or if this is even related to the xorg at all, I am on stable releases of the Nvidia driver 304.64 your system is using 310.19 again I dont know anything about openelec and you would have to find a way to use a lower revision of the drivers to at least determine if its the drivers causing this you could also try the default xorg for your release.

If you have any problems open a new thread either @openelec forums or somewhere in main forums perhaps Fernetmenta can help. This thread is really for the script discussion only.

thank you

uNi

Thanks for your help, will do

Hi Uni,

I cannot use your CTRL+F1 or F2 or F3 trick. It does nothing.

The only way I can do anything with the system is by holding shift until I see the GRUB menu, choose Advanced Ubuntu options, selecting recovery and then choosing drop to root shell.

Yes, the system was fine after the Ubuntu minimal installation. It booted to a terminal without any issues. The problems only started after the script ran.

Running xinit xbmc from the prompt I got to via the above method yields the following:

=====================================================================
Fatal server error:
Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tx0-lock

(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
(EE)
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

=====================================================================

Seems serious, but could it be related to the fact that I ran it out of recovery root shell prompt and not just a normal prompt?
@deon - it is CTL+ALT+F2 to drop to the 2nd console.

If you have ssh enabled you should be able to log in via that route too...

Hi all

Apologies if I am repeating something already covered but I tried to search and didnt find anything. I used this script a couple days ago, followed word for word. After first boot, it dumped me at a login prompt with no XBMC. I've had this before so I thought i'd reboot and sure enough it booted correctly into XBMC this time. The only problem I have now is that before the XBMC splash screen appears (with the moving dots along the bottom) I get a screen with a flashing cursor in the top left seemingly doing nothing for about 30-40 seconds. Then the splash appears, and that is only there for a second or 2 before going straight into XBMC, but the delay at the beginning is really long. Any ideas what could be causing that?

Thanks
(2012-11-27, 18:31)d_hero Wrote: [ -> ]... the delay at the beginning is really long. Any ideas what could be causing that?

Quick guess - is your network configured properly? I'd say it may wait until the timeout for dhcp passes.
(2012-11-11, 12:23)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@illiac4

Who was that question for?

If I had to choose, though I dont use wifi on xbmc, I would choose wicd+xbmc wifi addon manager

I prefer anything that doesn't force me to have desktop components installed. along with xbmc.

How do you get that wifi manager running with wicd? I was under the impression it would not run with this version of XBMC.

I installed wicd via

Code:
apt-get install wicd-curses

I have tried several times to connect to wifi using this only but can't seem to access it by logging in through the "root" safe mode method (Left Shift at start up). The only way I can tweek it is via ssh and when I try to connect to the wifi it obviously disconnects from the wired connection thus, not allowing me to send the connect command.

So I am hoping the Xbmc network manager will help me out if I can just get it working. Thanks for your help all your info has been great.

wicd should be well alone by itself,it can set your machine up to reconnect back all the time... The addon just gives it a familiar gui but apparently its no longer compatible with wicd. anyway set it up like it says here.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...icd+curses

Just follow that you should be ok.

uNi
(2012-11-28, 02:16)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]wicd should be well alone by itself,it can set your machine up to reconnect back all the time... The addon just gives it a familiar gui but apparently its no longer compatible with wicd. anyway set it up like it says here.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...icd+curses

Just follow that you should be ok.

uNi

Ya that's the exact tutorial I followed and it works fine.
I'm not sure which setting to use for the encryption of my wifi. This is what my router says I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] but nothing seems to be allowing me to connect.

I'll just try to go through each on individually. Having to go through SSH is giving me probs. I'll get it though thanks for the help.
Does anyone have an issues with skins. None show up in the "Get More" menu.
Finally got it working. Just took a little patients. Lesson learned.

Now for my next issue, skins. This build of xbmc does support multiple skins does it not? I can't seem to find any for download through xbmc. I'm going to attempt to download some and install them through ssh.

Probably will just take patients like most things tech. Wink
<wrong thread - WTF?>

Hi all,

I would like to give this a try, just a few simple qustions:

1. I have Zotac H55-ITX WiFi MBO with Intel 550 CPU and use integrated HD2000, as far as I can tell this should work fine with those. Is that correct?

2. Main reason i wont to move from XBMCbuntu is that both kbdrate and Xset commands do not work: I guess they work fine with this setup. Is that correct?

3. Updating XBMC to Frodo will not be a difficult task for someone like me (Linux noob)?

Thanks Smile