Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I dont recommend using the Ubuntu repos one, your funeral. Main reason being all non-free is disabled.

uNi
Really great!!
But now I've installed AEON-NOX by using GITHUB download.

Everything works perfect!

Is it possible to make a choice at the beginning of the install script?
So the user can install XBMC stable or BETA.

I think this would be the final touch on the cake.

And I have to say it again:

Absolutely perfect script!!
Significant faster than XBMCbuntu.

So go on, please!

Greetz

Pikeman

Hi,

Thanks for all your work, I just use your script on my Zotac ND22 and all works great :-)

I just noticed one feature that is missing for me : the wake on lan activation.

I guess it's just a modification of ubuntu's networking script, like an "ethtool" something, so i'll just do it manually.

Ben

Hi,

Just found this thread as I've started to play around with XBMC , is there a minimum hardware requirement for this method as I've got a mini-itx not doing anything at the moment .. Its a Jetway C7 1.5ghz processor with 1 GB of ram , currently has Lubuntu 10.4 running , do you think it would be able to run this ?

Many thanks

Smurf
@ smurff5599

Welcome to forums.

Well idk your hardware, it greatly depends on the video chip which you dont say what it is.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...quirements

Thats more or less guidelines for XBMC for Linux requirements and that applies to this (IF your GPU is supported)

uNi
Hi, Thanks for the welcome :-)

The video chipset is :- "Integrated VIA UniChrome Pro Graphics with MPEG-2 Acceleration - Share Memory up to 64MB"

Don't mean a lot to me to be honest.

Thanks
@smurff5599

If you could get an older PCI-based Nvidia GPU in there it *might* be usable...if not sounds like it be perfect some little home automation, etc project.... ;-)
Ok thanks for that I'll have a look through my box of spares.

We all like a challenge :-)

Smurf
Whats the best way to update XBMC after using this script to install. When I originally installed Beta 1 was out and now that Beta 2 is released would like to keep up with the fixes.

Thanks
its ubuntu so:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(2012-12-08, 09:48)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]its ubuntu so:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That's correct to update from Beta 1 to Beta 2.
But how I can update to Beta 3?
As soon as the repository is updated to Beta 3 you shall have what you seek.

Check status here next time: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable

This will also help you cross reference what your repo is giving you after an update.

apt-cache show xbmc | grep Version

Hi,

I followed your tutorial exactly and could finish the installation of ubuntu and xbmc successfully.

After restart, the xbmc start-screen (with the three blinking dots) appears and after that I just see a black screen. -> Nothing happens any more!
I used 1080p resolution in the installation process, which is 100% the resolution of my TV.

Any ideas?

I´m running the script on:
zotac Zbox ID 41
(Intel Atom D525, DDR3-800 supported, Next Generation NVIDIA ION 512MB, WLAN)

Cheers
Try this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

The script should by all means use better video drivers ppa. But bram77 is MIA and likely busy.

uNi
I personally use this PPA for the NVIDIA drivers : https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
But I must say I currently have a problem when booting with the latest kernel (lockup during boot). Ik can only boot with the previous kernel version. This could be because of the xorg-edgers packages.