Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@mongie:
You have an intelcard, that can do KMS out of the box, don't use
Quote:video=uvesafb:mode_option=1920x1080-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap

at all.
argh..

I tried taking those references out of the script, but I've ended up with the same result.

Strangely, when I boot and get the black screen, I have no network connectivity, despite just running the script over ssh.

I have an AMD A8 GPU, I installed with the script, but I have a black border around the xbmc screen. How do I kill X so I can rerun "sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0"? lightdm is not installed, right?

Nevermind, sudo pkill x.
Thx Bram77 for this really nice stuff. Made it much easier to install my ION330 system.
@Baswazz

So your part of the Clan ION330? Yes this is a good place to be, feel free to browse my signature for wares to tweak yout ION such as I did mine.

* un1versal takes off flying to the moon!

uNi

What do you prefer network manager, wicd or. Something else?
@illiac4

Who was that question for?

If I had to choose, though I dont use wifi on xbmc, I would choose wicd+xbmc wifi addon manager

I prefer anything that doesn't force me to have desktop components installed. along with xbmc.

(2012-11-10, 05:27)mongie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-25, 11:36)Flynsarmy Wrote: [ -> ]I also got a black screen on boot until I removed nomodeset from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line at the bottom of /etc/default/grub like so:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=uvesafb:mode_option=1920x1080-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"

I'm having the same problem.

Running a Intel G860 cpu with built in "Intel HD Graphics".

I get the same error message at the reboot prompt at the end as well.

When it does reboot, I get the splash screen, and then a black screen.

Any suggestions?

Editing script is not gonna help once installed!

You edit the /etc/default/grub like so:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Delete the txt video=uvesafb:mode_option=1920x1080-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap

press ctrl+O to save the edit
press ctrl+X to exit nano

issue command

update-grub

You should be done.
uNi
wicd does not work with new network manager.
(2012-11-11, 03:15)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@Baswazz

So your part of the Clan ION330? Yes this is a good place to be, feel free to browse my signature for wares to tweak yout ION such as I did mine.

* uNiversal takes off flying to the moon!

uNi

Thanks for the tip i will Smile
Only got one problem i am checking now.
The confluence skin settings button is not listed in the XBMC settings menu. I am now doing a re-install to check if it the problem still exist.
(2012-11-11, 12:23)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@illiac4

Who was that question for?

If I had to choose, though I dont use wifi on xbmc, I would choose wicd+xbmc wifi addon manager

I am building this box for my sister she only have wifi atm.
Network manager addon did gave an error when i open the addon through the programs menu. I think it is not optimized for frodo?

I did setup the wifi manually now see this guide.
addon uses network manager.

apt-get install network-manager
(2012-11-11, 13:19)illiac4 Wrote: [ -> ]addon uses network manager.

apt-get install network-manager

Addon wifi does NOT user network manager it uses wicd.

Its the whole point.

Edit. (stand corrected)

oops appears that the addon does NOW use network manager So dont use addon use only wicd.

uNi

I had network-manager installed then i did get an script error msg.
Ok weird on the topic it say it is using network-manager, maybey this error does not occur with wicd, i will try it.

With Bram77 script the Confluence skin menu button in the settings menu is not visible. I now go install everything manually.
Where can i find the Nvidia driver?
The skin settings has moved in newer xbmc version its in there look closer.

Don't use network manager use wicd, this its old topic no need to jump through hoops to install wicd anymore but instructions are ok'ish http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81858

NVidia driver I use x-swat ppa.

uNi
@uNiversal it does not work. I installed wicd

sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-curses

When i download the Network Manager XBMC plugin 0.1.4 i get: Error: script failed script.linux.nm

When i use the wicd-curses gui i get errors as-well:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 52, in <module>
    from wicd import dbusmanager
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 93, in <module>
    DBUS_MANAGER = DBusManager()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 57, in __init__
    self._bus = dbus.SystemBus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 194, in __new__
    private=private)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 100, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 122, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
Remove the network manager and dont use addon (since addon requires network manager and network manager probably requires some window manager which we dont have use for)

use only wicd, Running multiple network managers is bad. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd

Your user also has to belong to all user groups required, this has been covered to death in my script debugging and has detailed posts. So have a rummage in my earlier posts here. It covers user permissions rather in detail.

uNi