Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-06-20, 03:18)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ](but note you'd have to do that each time you patch the skin, so not ideal).

I have spent this morning trying to find a way to set a skin background option, or to make the opacity level an option, but it seems that because skin files are loaded before the weather addon runs, I can't control this at all.  So I am afraid unless I come up with some solution I haven't thought of yet, a setting is not possible...
Hi
Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. I know you probably may have already thought of this but you can’t just patch the xml file with a different colordiffuse value when you replace the original with as a part of the copy / replace process can you?

I bow to your expertise

Cheers

John
@dawsonjw You mean modify the skin files on the fly during the patch process?  I guess I could do that...but it's more work than I was planning on, that's for sure!  I'll think about it...

@DavidFW1960 - which ones do you mean?  I can read it all very easily on my desktop and in my TV in Estuary.  All the colours used are in standard Kodi skin use, frequently, so should be legible in any normal scenario really.  If you can't distinguish the greys, you're probably sending the wrong video levels to your screens...but take a screenshot (or better, photo) that points at the issue so I can be clear on what you mean...

(for context, my monitors and TV are fully calibrated and I using an Eizo ColorEdge desktop monitor and a Panasonic OLED to test - so if it's easily readable on those, it should be easily readable on any decent screen getting proper video levels...)
(2021-06-20, 05:15)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]@dawsonjw You mean modify the skin files on the fly during the patch process?  I guess I could do that...but it's more work than I was planning on, that's for sure!  I'll think about it...

@DavidFW1960 - which ones do you mean?  I can read it all very easily on my desktop and in my TV in Estuary.  All the colours used are in standard Kodi skin use, frequently, so should be legible in any normal scenario really.  If you can't distinguish the greys, you're probably sending the wrong video levels to your screens...but take a screenshot (or better, photo) that points at the issue so I can be clear on what you mean...

(for context, my monitors and TV are fully calibrated and I using an Eizo ColorEdge desktop monitor and a Panasonic OLED to test - so if it's easily readable on those, it should be easily readable on any decent screen getting proper video levels...)
Remember I am using Estuary... I just emailed you 2 screen photos. One which is legible because the background video is dark so text is readable and one with a light background which is pretty much impossible to read from a viewing distance closer that the camera was for the photo. It's your stock full-screen skin..
Ah right, you're talking the VideoFullScreen bit - I thought you meant the main weather page when you said full screen.

I can fix that, will do so.  But along the way I might also make all the colours configurable per John's suggestion above.
(2021-06-20, 05:15)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]@dawsonjw You mean modify the skin files on the fly during the patch process?  I guess I could do that...but it's more work than I was planning on, that's for sure!  I'll think about it...

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Back in the old days when I was a cobol programmer I would just do a substitution. In your xml template file just replace the colordiffuse value with which ever value the user wants or some set of predetermined values. Anyways just a idea

Cheers

John
(2021-06-20, 05:45)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]Ah right, you're talking the VideoFullScreen bit - I thought you meant the main weather page when you said full screen.

I can fix that, will do so.  But along the way I might also make all the colours configurable per John's suggestion above.
Yeah videofullscreen.... the main skin looks great. Configurable colours would be nice as long as you have some sane defaults for people that don't want to change them... anyway minor issue...
Skin Patcher 0.2.4 released. 

I was rushing a bit, but fingers crossed this update should cover all of the above - once you folks confirm things work ok I will tidy up the strings a bit and add some better instructions.  Hopefully I didn't break anything too badly...

@DavidFW1960 there is now a dark patch behind data in the Estuary VideoFullScreen.xml.  Looks could definitely be improved with some drop shadows work etc, but I can't be bothered - feel free to massage and send me something back if it's important to you!

@dawsonjw - you can set the background art to 'no', to hide it altogether

@Thomfam / @Tyreless - with amber/aeons, if you do choose to show the background art, you can set your own opacity string (in the form of 88FFFFFFF - in general, for just opacity and not tint, you only want to change the first two values, to something in the hex range of 00 to FF)

Text colours are also configurable (options here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/c0cdcd...colors.xml), within reason
N.b - you'll need to visit the skin patcher settings to make changes to things, and you'll need to re-run the patcher after each change, to see the results.  If you enter values Kodi doesn't like, you'll get issues pretty quickly, so be careful with your data entry...
(2021-06-20, 09:53)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]Skin Patcher 0.2.4 released. 

I was rushing a bit, but fingers crossed this update should cover all of the above - once you folks confirm things work ok I will tidy up the strings a bit and add some better instructions.  Hopefully I didn't break anything too badly...

@dawsonjw - you can set the background art to 'no', to hide it altogether

Howdy. Thanks for making the change. One suggestion would be to have the YES/NO as a toggle rather than data entry. This might be neater. Also setting to No shows background art while setting to YES let’s you set opacity. I think text description is incorrect. Maybe it should read “Enable Background Opacity” as that what it looks to be doing.

Other than that, this option works for me. I haven’t tried others yet

Cheers

John
Just got a skin patcher error - is folder writable....

EDIT.... the OSMC one patched fine - just the CCwGTV that errors. I could run the patcher and restore and I have the 'stock' skin now so I CAN write to that folder so I don't understand what's wrong... And I have patched hundreds of times now with no issues and I did delete the cache for the app as well.... anyway I'll try to fix on my PC tomorrow,,, I wonder if it's permissions issue for the skin files?
Nah I reckon I know what it is, will fix it up later, prob tomorrow
Ok, 0.2.5 that should fix those things up.

If not @DavidFW1960 then it probably is some sort of permissions things and a debug log would help if you can't work it out.  (And of course make sure you don't have any connections to the skin files open when you run the patcher...just in case you were poking around the files)

@dawsonjw this should work right now I think
Patcher 0.2.5 has a bad side-effect for me. It changes the background image from my chosen image (called "default.jpg") to a seaside image, and changing it back in the skin settings doesn't work.
I'm happy to try and fix that, but how are you selecting that BG in Amber?  It's all very complicated in there... I am referring to the Amber variable: Weather.Art, which in theory should have your chosen image, or fall back the default (it runs top to bottom through this):

xml:

<variable name="Weather.Art" description="Calculate BG to show">
    <value condition="!String.IsEmpty(Skin.String(Weather.Background))">$INFO[Skin.String(Weather.Background)]</value>
     <value>special://skin/backgrounds/Weather.jpg</value>
</variable>

So in my code it is just:

<texture>$VAR[Weather.Art]</texture> - which should be the right thing, really. 

But looking through the labyrinthe Amber settings, I can't actually see specifically where you can even set a weather background...?  I think it must be, in fact, not using that var itself....
You've gone beyond my meagre knowledge of how these things are coded.

I am pretty sure that for me, line 3 above would say "default.jpg" rather then "Weather.jpg". There is a setting in Amber where you can specify the background for each sub menu, including Weather, and I have set all of mine to default.jpg.