Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Universal Movie Scraper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello together! 
Unfortunately, I also have some issue with the UMS since some time.
Today I tried do do a fresh scan of my library, an things went worse.

I have all my movies saved as mkv, and did not use any nfo files.

What I already found out:
mkv files can store some meta data in the header, for example the "Title" and a "Date".
I never maintained those fields, and started only recently to play with those information (Thx to mkvtoolnix)
However, seems that Kodi/UMS is using this information when the field is set (even if it is empty).

The problem is now the following:
When I put the "Title" field to the "Name (Year)" format, UMS will fail to fetch the information on tmdb.

The following examples I tested with the movie "Passengers" from 2016.
The "Title" field as well as the file name is set to "Passengers (2016)"

The search URL based on the "Title" field of the mkv file is:
https://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movi...2016)&year=

The result set is empty.
To my understanding, the URL should look like:
https://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movi...&year=2016

I already performed a mass update of the "Title" metadata. For all my mkv movie files I set the "Title" fields to the format "Title (Year)".
However, it is not applicable to set the "Date" meta information on every file (the "Title" will also be set automatically by MakeMKV, for example)

Maybe to update the parser config to move the "(Year)" part into the correct location of the URL?
Tried to understand the universal.xml configuration, but could not figure out how to deal with nested regex and random input/output buffer numbers.

Cheers
Hook
(2022-12-21, 19:56)hook77 Wrote: [ -> ]When I put the "Title" field to the "Name (Year)" format, UMS will fail to fetch the information on tmdb.
Yes, it does not like the Year in the tag.
Remove the year and leave the movie name and try again.
Thanks for the reply!

The problem here is that the year will not be part of the search URL.
Fore some movies it doesn't matter, other movies will have multiple matches.
So I would like to keep the "Year" information, preferable in the "Title" field
(I'am not talking about the query URL, of course)

I tried now the following:
* Cleared the "Title" meta data field from the mkv file ($ mkvpropedit $fn -e info -d title)
* Did a full rescan of my library

Almost all files where identified correctly, based on the fileNAME only. 

Maybe its not an UMS issue, but the way the UMS (or any scraper) is called from the Kodi?
So maybe the content of the "Title" field in the mkv header should be treated as if it was the filename (including a year) instead of the movies title only?

Otherwise, one has to update both the "Title" as well as the "Date" field for the year.
This is unhandy, as MakeMKV will not set the Date field automatically nor it has an input field for that.
In this case you have to edit the header with 3rd party software after creating the mkv file ...

Kr hook
(2022-12-21, 21:54)hook77 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe its not an UMS issue, but the way the UMS (or any scraper) is called from the Kodi?
Correct. If you try with other scrapers it will be the same result.
Another user spotted this a few days ago. Unfortunately no developer has shown any interest to look at the issue.

Personally I disable the reading of mkv tags. I ensure my folder and filenames are named correctly and I don't have any problems.
I am using Kodi with mkv files since a couple of years now, never noticed that mkv tags are processed that way - or at least causing those kind of problems.
Is there a (hidden) option somewhere to tell kodi to ignore the settings? Could not find it in the default dialogs.

Thx Hook
(2022-12-22, 13:42)hook77 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using Kodi with mkv files since a couple of years now, never noticed that mkv tags are processed that way - or at least causing those kind of problems.
Is there a (hidden) option somewhere to tell kodi to ignore the settings? Could not find it in the default dialogs.

Thx Hook

Ah, shame on me, never noticed this setting Smile
Thanks for pointing my eyes to this page, now it works like expected.
During the recent kerfuffle with UMS, I switched to using TMDB; turns out I'm not a fan, and prefer the ratings and genres offered up by IMDB -- and don't get me started on the sets! Now that UMS/IMDB is fixed, I'm not having any success switching back to UMS/IMDB:

I've changed the content of my movies source to point back to UMS.
I've made sure the Configuration of UMS points to IMDB for facts, and especially the search.
I even disabled TMB/Python

I'm hoping someone can point out what I'm missing by looking at My dump
(2022-12-26, 20:15)Jackanory Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not having any success switching back to UMS/IMDB:
You best describe what the problem is as I am not seeing anything wrong in the log. Matilda seems to have scraped into the library correctly.

Although you still have TMDB providing most of the data. You sure you changed settings correctly on your Source? (not in the addons menu)
(2022-12-26, 21:26)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-12-26, 20:15)Jackanory Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not having any success switching back to UMS/IMDB:
You best describe what the problem is as I am not seeing anything wrong in the log. Matilda seems to have scraped into the library correctly.

Although you still have TMDB providing most of the data. You sure you changed settings correctly on your Source? (not in the addons menu)
Yes, Matilda has scraped, but I have TMDB's genre, rating and plot, where I'd prefer IMDB's assessment.

As a septuagenarian, I'm seldom sure of anything. Here's a screenshot of my content configuration for my Movies folder:

[I'd've thought that info, might've made it's way into the debug log -- perhaps a future update?]

I did change it to point to the TMDB Python addon ... when I changed it back, that change doesn't appear to have 'taken!"

Should I share screenshots of the UMS configuration, or is there an XML file somewhere with that info? My config points to TMDB for keywords and tags, and I've enabled tmdb fanart, but everything else points to IMDB. I tried setting the keywords and tags dropdown to none, but that made no difference.

I'm wondering if I should delete the UMS addon, and reinstall, but don't want to break anything!

Happy holidays, and thanks for your response!
I think the question is, when you went into your movie source configuration window and changed information provider, did you then go to the next line -- Settings and click that and check the settings there.

scott s.
I did not. Sorry, it doesn't look like a button to me, so I hadn't clicked it. I now have a new place to configure UMS! (Was doing it under System > Addons)

A quick experiment after re-doing config shows that I'm getting the good 'goods!'

Thanks
(2022-12-28, 21:12)Jackanory Wrote: [ -> ](Was doing it under System > Addons)
There is a difference between that and the location scott967 mentions.
Read Settings section here which applies to all scrapers... https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:The_Movie_...n#Settings
(2022-12-28, 21:23)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-12-28, 21:12)Jackanory Wrote: [ -> ](Was doing it under System > Addons)
There is a difference between that and the location scott967 mentions.
Read Settings section here which applies to all scrapers... https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:The_Movie_...n#Settings
I hadn't spent any time in the TMDB addon's wiki section, and now wouldn't were it not for this instruction ... which might deserve a broader audience.
Sorry if i missed an answer somewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it. The issue I am having is I am scraping the movie Shaolin Temple (1976) and there is a poster available for it in the Chinese section of TMDB that is not available in the English section. I changed the UMS options for the directory with all my Shaw Brothers movies so that the preferred language for artwork for both TMDB and Fanart.tv were Chinese. I then refreshed the movie and selected yes to replace all the info but it still did not pull any of the posters from the Chinese section. Thank in advance for any help.
Poster on the far right is the one I am trying to pull in: