Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-02-18, 19:51)gnaag Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to push you, but the libreelec cores are still offsync and the new ones (+some old ones such as dosbox) are missing.

@lrusak is on it.
(2018-02-18, 19:51)gnaag Wrote: [ -> ]I have checked in other core repositories and there is RETRO instead of RETOR on similar places.

I have created a github issue #11 for this. 
Good catch. I pushed fixes to the affected repos.
(2018-02-18, 00:04)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]how do i switch between emulators? I tried the "context" button but it just gives me play or add to favourite.

When you select Play, it shows you a list of emulators that are compatible with the file extension:

If no list is shown, you have one a single compatible emulator. If you want the list to be shown, install more.
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]maybe it might help if it reminded you which emulators you have initially set and what other emulators could play that rom

Anything per-ROM requires a database. Kodi's database system is being replaced, and when that's done it will be possible to set emulators per rom.
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]Once finished to play I had to click the "stop playing" on the CEC remote (I tried the select+start combo like in retroarch but that did nothing)

RetroPie has documented the hotkeys for RetroArch: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Set...ad-hotkeys

Actions in Kodi use our Keymap system. This keymap for RetroPlayer is found here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...k.xml#L157

So select+start should close the game. If it doesn't please post a debug log.

(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]C64
I cannot see the roms

You must first install an emulator that supports .d64 files. Figure out which libretro core supports .d64 and install that.
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]Mame / Neogeo
I get the "this game can be played only directly form HD, compressed files must be extracted"

This ability is called "VFS Support". This is Kodi's virtual file system that makes NFS shares look like a local hard drive. If a core doesn't support this, you will have to move the files to your local hard drive.

Look up your core in this matrix.
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]Nintendo64
I tried to play paperboy but I get only  a black screen

N64 requires OpenGL support for the 3D graphics. This is being worked on.
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]SNES
I tried arkanoid with
snes9x - it doenst work
snes9x 2010 - it works (intro audio and effects are distorted and the game is quite slow...)
bsnes perf - it works (same distorted audio and slow ..)

Issues with individual misbehaving cores is tracked using GitHub issues. Please open an issue for these cores at https://github.com/kodi-game .
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]PS. I still have to figure out how to add a player 2 controller

Can you be more specific?
(2018-02-17, 12:57)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]Hope this can help
I will be happy to test more if need

Thanks! This is a huge project. We can use all the testing we can get.    

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I see now how to get the list of possible emulators

Regarding the ".d64" files, I am suspecting there is something with kodi and not with Retroplayer.
I have changed (instead of the "add source" kodi mount) to a Systemd mount (on /storage/games) of the NFS share with the roms and if i ssh into libreelec and run 
Code:
ls -la /storage/games/c64/
i get:
Code:
..redacted...left only last entries...
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:11 Zamzara.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:11 Zap.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:11 Zaxxon.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:08 Zig_Zag.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:08 Zillion.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:08 Zoids.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:07 Zoom.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:07 Zoomball.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:07 Zorro.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:07 Zulu.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:07 Zybex.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:09 Zygon_Warrior.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:09 Zynaps.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:09 Zyron.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:09 hysteria.d64
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        174848 Feb  7 20:05 leviathan.d64

while if I browse to games/c64 this folder is empty..
This does not happen with the other folders under /storage/games...

I wanted to try to use a systemd mount to see if this could have helped withe the "VFS" support issue and indeed I think it works
Neogeo and Mame roms don't give me the error they were giving before.
Anyway I cannot launch Mame roms since selecting the .zip file opens the archive and lists the content (a bunch of .bin files)
If i try to select one of the .bin files it asks me to select an emulator but Mame is not one of the options.

Regarding the controllers, I think I screwed up my setup since my problem is now I cannot get start/select anymore
I will try to restore the setup and then I will work on getting also the controller for the second player

One more thing that I noticed.
When I browse to "games" and then go to "addons" I always get an empty list even if I have the emulators/controllers/API installed.
Maybe this is the intended behaviour, in which case please ignore my comment ;-)

M
(2018-02-18, 23:07)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]while if I browse to games/c64 this folder is empty..
This does not happen with the other folders under /storage/games...

Kodi only shows games with extensions that an emulator can play. What emulator are you trying to use with your .d64 files?
(2018-02-18, 23:07)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway I cannot launch Mame roms since selecting the .zip file opens the archive and lists the content (a bunch of .bin files)

Open the context menu for the .zip and there should be a "Play" option. The default behavior is to browse because many users store their ROMs in zipped folders. How would we tell MAME roms apart?
(2018-02-18, 23:07)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]When I browse to "games" and then go to "addons" I always get an empty list even if I have the emulators/controllers/API installed.
Maybe this is the intended behaviour, in which case please ignore my comment ;-)

Only add-ons that can be launched (python scripts and standalone game add-ons) show up there. I can change this to show emulators and controllers too.
Thanks Garbear,

for the d64 files, I had "Vice" as the emulator in Retropie.
I didn't know I had to have the emulator installed to see the roms in the "games/files" view...
I will check when I return home if I had "Vice" installed and let you know

For the zip/mame, I assume I was doing it wrong, (opening the archive instead of playing it...) thanks for the help

For the addons visibility, this is just my 2cts, probably better to see what other users say...

thanks a lot

m
(2018-02-18, 20:16)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-18, 04:31)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]DIT: Is it possible to enable the auto trigger by configuration?

This is called "turbo". It was first requested in 2016. Haven't done it yet, but it wouldn't be hard to add. Can you suggest repeat rates that would work well in games? 

I think by default, the repeat delay can be 200ms, the repeat rate can be 6 times per second.  It's better to make this configurable. I can test this to see if it works well.
(2018-02-19, 13:43)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]I think by default, the repeat delay can be 200ms, the repeat rate can be 6 times per second.  It's better to make this configurable. I can test this to see if it works well. 

I can add a configuration option for turbo. Should we have a hotkey to enable/disable turbo?
(2018-02-19, 17:56)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-19, 13:43)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]I think by default, the repeat delay can be 200ms, the repeat rate can be 6 times per second.  It's better to make this configurable. I can test this to see if it works well. 

I can add a configuration option for turbo. Should we have a hotkey to enable/disable turbo? 
It's better to have a configurable hotkey, though I personally like this be enabled always.
(2018-02-19, 18:10)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]

It's better to have a configurable hotkey, though I personally like this be enabled always.  

Nestopia uses X for Turbo A and Y for Turbo B. Does this sound like a good idea?

As for turbo settings, I checked some emulators and found:

Nestopia

• Turbo speed pulse: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

FCEUmm

• Turbo enable: None, Player 1, Player 2, Both
  • Turbo delay (in frames): 3, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 1, 2

Which do you like better?
(2018-02-19, 18:47)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-19, 18:10)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]

Nestopia uses X for Turbo A and Y for Turbo B. Does this sound like a good idea?

As for turbo settings, I checked some emulators and found:

Nestopia
  • Turbo speed pulse: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
FCEUmm
  • Turbo enable: None, Player 1, Player 2, Both
  • Turbo delay (in frames): 3, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 1, 2

Which do you like better? 
Use only one button as hotkey is not a good idea for me. In mslug, button X is used to drop bomb.
 The Nestopia one seems good to me. For the configuration, I mean the repeat delay and repeat rate can be configured by user.
(2018-02-19, 19:01)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]Use only one button as hotkey is not a good idea for me. In mslug, button X is used to drop bomb.

Good point, I was only thinking about NES games. What hotkey do you suggest? Should holding it enable or toggle turbo?

(2018-02-19, 19:01)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]The Nestopia one seems good to me. For the configuration, I mean the repeat delay and repeat rate can be configured by user. 

What values should these have in the GUI? As in, what range and step size for delay and rate?
(2018-02-19, 19:04)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-19, 19:01)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]Use only one button as hotkey is not a good idea for me. In mslug, button X is used to drop bomb.

Good point, I was only thinking about NES games. What hotkey do you suggest? Should holding it enable or toggle turbo?
(2018-02-19, 19:01)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]The Nestopia one seems good to me. For the configuration, I mean the repeat delay and repeat rate can be configured by user. 

What values should these have in the GUI? As in, what range and step size for delay and rate? 
For the hotkey, may be just a unused combination of two buttons? Holding them should just toggle it. The delay range may be from 50ms to 1s? The rate range may be 1 to 60?
(2018-02-19, 19:50)xodi Wrote: [ -> ]For the hotkey, may be just a unused combination of two buttons? Holding them should just toggle it.

K. I try not to reinvent the wheel. For example, our hotkeys are based on RetroPie hotkeys. Do you know any existing emus/frontends that use hotkeys for toggling turbo?
Just wanted to say thanks one more time

context menu on the zip file brought up the menu from which I could choose mame, perfect, really perfect

regarding d64 files you were right, the emulator (vice) is not available, no big trouble... 

as a cherry on the cake, my son dropped by while I was testing Bubble Bobble and picked up a second controller and it automagically worked
no need for any setup for the 2P controller (I started from a clean slate, so i probably screwed up the controller setup yesterday)

Thanks again

let me know if there is anything i can test

M
(2018-02-19, 22:05)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]let me know if there is anything i can test

Yes, we need testers. Choose your favorite games and see how well they work in RetroPlayer. If any errors or frustrations occur, create a GitHub issue. I'm tracking every issue so far, so if yours gets in there I'll try to address it before release.
The "select + start" hotkey will be by default "Exit game" like RetroPie?

Because I think that for RetroPlayer will be better launch a menu with options (Save state, Load State, Close rom, restart ,take screenshot, cheats,...) At least I prefer this (In RetroArch for windows I have "open gui", I think that this will be the equivalent that I think that RetroPlayer will need).