Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-02-07, 01:11)Braxnl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-06, 23:53)Braxnl Wrote: [ -> ]I just wanted to mention I experienced micro stutters with the build from 22/01/2021 too, but with the build released 5 days ago on github the micro stutter seems to be fixed! Runs Dolby Vision without any stutter as far I can tell! Running it on a nvidia shield pro 2019.

Unfortunatelly I spoke to soon... micro stutters still occure, but just less compared to the 22/01 build. Just as with all kodi matrix builds (at least as far I have experienced them) there are still micro stutters while the kodi leia builds are free from micro stutters.

I’m curious if anyone has tried a regular (non-DV) Matrix build and is seeing micro-stutters. I think I’ve tested every DV Matrix build here and they all have it but I never tested a normal build. Maybe it’s a larger issue? I’ll try to find some time to test that. In any event, the 18.9 DV build is working great for me so that’s what I use.
Forgot to mention, I was getting Micro-stutter in non-DV 1080p content in Matrix not just 2160p DV content, so that’s why I thought maybe it’s a Matrix issue of some kind.
(2021-02-07, 04:12)Variant Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-07, 01:11)Braxnl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-06, 23:53)Braxnl Wrote: [ -> ]I just wanted to mention I experienced micro stutters with the build from 22/01/2021 too, but with the build released 5 days ago on github the micro stutter seems to be fixed! Runs Dolby Vision without any stutter as far I can tell! Running it on a nvidia shield pro 2019.

Unfortunatelly I spoke to soon... micro stutters still occure, but just less compared to the 22/01 build. Just as with all kodi matrix builds (at least as far I have experienced them) there are still micro stutters while the kodi leia builds are free from micro stutters.

I’m curious if anyone has tried a regular (non-DV) Matrix build and is seeing micro-stutters. I think I’ve tested every DV Matrix build here and they all have it but I never tested a normal build. Maybe it’s a larger issue? I’ll try to find some time to test that. In any event, the 18.9 DV build is working great for me so that’s what I use.
I experience micro stuttering with every single (both DV and non DV) Matrix build. All of the Leia builds are free from micro stuttering in my experience (at least since I started using kodi last december)
So what devices are capable of DV apart from the shield? Do some Amlogic boards work?
Because I am afraid of the DV issues on the shield pro that have been reported for over a year. Has anyone here experienced the same with the tested files?
(2021-02-07, 15:19)Jalau Wrote: [ -> ]So what devices are capable of DV apart from the shield? Do some Amlogic boards work?
Because I am afraid of the DV issues on the shield pro that have been reported for over a year. Has anyone here experienced the same with the tested files?
I have tried two different devices:
* My Sony X90CH, plays test DV files fine and triggers DV but won't trigger DV on any of my UHD rips. Otherwise those movies do play fine in HDR mode.

* Chromecast with Google TV (Amlogic SoC): plays some test DV files ok but crashes out on other DV test files. It also crashes out after a few seconds on any of my UHD rips, not possible to fall back on HDR10
On my Sony XF9005, DV files made by makemkv are triggering DV but when it opens, it's only black and white. I searched in the thread but didn't see anyone experiencing the same issue. So what may causing to do this? Stock 18.9 Leia with exoplayer mod from makemkv forums was also triggering -not consistantly- it wasn't black and white but the colors were not correct. E.g. the New Line Sinema opening on the Lotr movies is blue normally but it would appear as purple and skin tone of people would look red(ish). If there are any solutions or help offered. I would gladly accept it.
@Angelots Thanks for answering.
My tests of DV in X900H have been both from USB in Kodi 19 RC1 and the internal player of the TV.
Per server Plex does the same microtech as in kodi 19 RC1.
All DV mkv converted with MakeMKV.
Both in kodi and in plex it activates the DV, in the internal player, it does not activate it.
I have seen that when I start kodi on the tv, it detects 1920x1080p 60hz ... I don't know if it is only the interface or the movies also play in that format. I run out of ideas of the tests to do ... any ideas?
(2021-02-08, 08:55)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]@Angelots Thanks for answering.
My tests of DV in X900H have been both from USB in Kodi 19 RC1 and the internal player of the TV.
Both in kodi and in plex it activates the DV, in the internal player, it does not activate it.
I have seen that when I start kodi on the tv, it detects 1920x1080p 60hz ... I don't know if it is only the interface or the movies also play in that format. I run out of ideas of the tests to do ... any ideas?

Internal player only supports dv on mp4 format. That’s for a while now, only way to test the files is with the modified exoplayer apk with dv support. Link is somewhere just search for it.

As for the 1920 detection, unfortunately it’s an. Limitation, full HD is max what you get, it will look great, but it’s not native 4K, I’ve tested this after someone mentioned it here.

Actually i take that back, just tested again and apparently I had the option “reality creation” turned on in my Sony x900h. This will enable subsampling on the tv, after i switched it off and tested some files, it is playing native 4K. The GUI resolution will be limited to 1080p, maybe someone else want to test to confirm it...
(2021-02-08, 12:20)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]

As for the 1920 detection, unfortunately it’s an. Limitation, full HD is max what you get, it will look great, but it’s not native 4K, I’ve tested this after someone mentioned it here.

Thanks for answering.
I have read this morning in some post that it is really only the interface that is in 1080p that then the movie is played in 4k if it is the format in which it is.
When you talk about the exoplayer version, do you mean the Leia with the exoplayer apk? is it better than 19RC1?

Actually i take that back, just tested again and apparently I had the option “reality creation” turned on in my Sony x900h. This will enable subsampling on the tv, after i switched it off and tested some files, it is playing native 4K. The GUI resolution will be limited to 1080p, maybe someone else want to test to confirm it...
where is that option? I'll try it later
(2021-02-08, 13:34)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]

In the image settings under sharpness....

Tested with this file 4K test pattern

If you see clear dot raster it’s native, if you see blending of it and the smallest test isn’t readable than it isn’t.
(2021-02-08, 13:34)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks, I'll try it later
(2021-02-07, 23:57)NewtoN Wrote: [ -> ]On my Sony XF9005, DV files made by makemkv are triggering DV but when it opens, it's only black and white. I searched in the thread but didn't see anyone experiencing the same issue. So what may causing to do this? Stock 18.9 Leia with exoplayer mod from makemkv forums was also triggering -not consistantly- it wasn't black and white but the colors were not correct. E.g. the New Line Sinema opening on the Lotr movies is blue normally but it would appear as purple and skin tone of people would look red(ish). If there are any solutions or help offered. I would gladly accept it.

Now I am having black screen on DV files -mkv- previously videos were playing black and white but now there is nothing at all. I can hear the soundtrack and the subtitles are appearing but no video to be seen.
(2021-01-26, 23:47)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-26, 23:41)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please tell me how to make a 18.9 32bit build for dv myself, I can’t seem to find anybody that is doing this, if so please tell me so...

@fandagos

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Leia/d...Android.md

I tried to follow this, but was unable. I'm using a Mac with bigger and instructions telling me to use "apt" that doesn't work on the Mac. I tried using brew to install the required packages, but I get errors that I can't decipher.  I will work on it , but macOS is being an obstacle for me right now.