Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I download the Kodi Maven build for Dolby Vision, will the Aeon Nox Silvo skin still work?
(2022-10-15, 16:28)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]It's not going to make official v20 at the moment, as too much work is required to update ffmpeg for this. The only hope would be if someone was motivated to pick the necessary changes so a full ffmpeg update wasn't necessary, and submit those in isolation, however no one has yet shown any inclination to do this.

Do we know if an ffmpeg-updated Kodi would only support profile 5, or if support for UHD Bluray remuxes with DV enhancement layers would be in the cards, too?
I could play UHD BD remux mkv as dolby vision with maven's build. Normal Kodi plays it as HDR10.
(2022-10-23, 19:44)pauls156 Wrote: [ -> ]If I download the Kodi Maven build for Dolby Vision, will the Aeon Nox Silvo skin still work?

my exact configuration. all is fine
(2022-10-26, 22:21)zetruz Wrote: [ -> ]Do we know if an ffmpeg-updated Kodi would only support profile 5, or if support for UHD Bluray remuxes with DV enhancement layers would be in the cards, too?
I don't think enhanced layers will work on a whole lot of devices. AFAIK, a device needs to be able to decode two HEVC streams in parallel to achieve this? Not sure if there are any Android boxes that have this capability. I know that the Shield 2019 cannot do it.
(2022-11-01, 17:46)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-10-26, 22:21)zetruz Wrote: [ -> ]Do we know if an ffmpeg-updated Kodi would only support profile 5, or if support for UHD Bluray remuxes with DV enhancement layers would be in the cards, too?
I don't think enhanced layers will work on a whole lot of devices. AFAIK, a device needs to be able to decode two HEVC streams in parallel to achieve this? Not sure if there are any Android boxes that have this capability. I know that the Shield 2019 cannot do it.
Even if so, that would be a hardware issue, not a Kodi issue. I'm just wondering if Kodi itself would support it. =)
(2022-10-17, 12:59)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]It seems there is now a possibility the update to ffmpeg 5.0 (which is the version containing the DV stuff) might happen for v20 as someone has been working on it. Doesn't mean it'll definitely happen as updating this late in release cycle will carry risk.

As someone who just got their first 4k HDR DV OLED TV, this is very exciting if it makes it to v20.
Hello, Iam here new.
I using tv sony xf9005 + homatics 4K r box plus with android tv 11 and kodi nerds maven last version va7.
I have problem with watching DV stream after 50s stream’s stopped. Buffering doesn’t help.
Short test online stream around 2mins playing without any problems. Also any offline streams work great. My broadband is 500mb/s fibre line Virgin media.

Please any help?
If you need any additional information please ask me.
Thank you
Understanding the focus of this thread seems to be mostly Dolby Vision, I wonder if anyone else is still interested in uhd blu-ray menu support including basic functionality like pause and chapter skip and if any of the Maven Matrix or Nexus builds support that like the original (now old and abandoned) fandango Matrix build did?

I tried the latest at the time of this writing Maven Matrix Oct 31, 2022 arm64-v8a Android build and noticed pause and chapter skip wasn't working for full uhd blu-ray rips.

Going back through the older thread I found some discussion about implementing chapter skip in Maven builds but am guessing that never happened?
Tested this with the Chromecast with Google TV, and works excellent with web-based DV content (like House of the Dragon). However, with UHD Bluray remuxes, it completely messes up. Sometimes the screen just goes black, and sometimes it plays but lags horribly. (Neither MEL nor FEL layers work.) Is this an inevitable limitation of the hardware, perhaps?
(2022-11-07, 17:24)dabl Wrote: [ -> ]I tried the latest at the time of this writing Maven Matrix Oct 31, 2022 arm64-v8a Android build and noticed pause and chapter skip wasn't working for full uhd blu-ray rips.
EDIT: it seems that pause and chapter skip doesn't work for full blu-ray rips with this build when selecting anything other than 'Show Blu-Ray Menu' however it seems that selecting 'Show Blu-Ray Menu' on the Maven Matrix and Nexus arm64-v8a Android builds (with the script.service.jre.zip installed) doesn't actually show the blu-ra menu but instead simply plays the movie?
(2022-11-11, 21:43)zetruz Wrote: [ -> ]Is this an inevitable limitation of the hardware, perhaps?
Correct.
(2022-11-12, 02:01)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-11-11, 21:43)zetruz Wrote: [ -> ]Is this an inevitable limitation of the hardware, perhaps?
Correct.
Righto. And the Shield can do this? =)
(2022-11-12, 18:41)zetruz Wrote: [ -> ]Righto. And the Shield can do this? =)
The Pro works for me.
(2022-11-12, 19:35)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-11-12, 18:41)zetruz Wrote: [ -> ]Righto. And the Shield can do this? =)
The Pro works for me.
Nice, thank you. Do you know if it's playing all the data of a Full Enhancement Layer, or if it only does the dynamic metadata?
I'll hang back and await a new Shield gen, but it's good to know what's up. =)