Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi, i'm a Chinese user, just bought a ugoos am6b-plus a few days ago, which is an android tvbox probably can playback fel dolby vision and dolby atoms, sounds great, the firmware is o.5.4, the setting DV can also tv-led and lldv,afer these days test, it can playback hdr10, dv profile5、8(dv+hdr10)、7(mel)as DV perfectly(mkv,mp4) in all the media player software include Kodinerds(19,20,21)、fandango's kodi-in-hdr(19,21).
but when playback some fel p7 mkvs use kodis, in some movies like "godfather, top gun, mission impossible" ,especially "wall-e", it video hangs,freezing but audio still play, may in few seconds come back, but I found use exoplayer in emby, it could playback these movies smoothly ,just in ⏪⏩,my tv goes black in a second and came back continue playback like normal ,  the nova player better than kodis,and worse than exoplayer in emby.
and I found a interesting thing ,when I use my tv's emby play a p7 fel or mel mkv, it shows HDR,hlg,dv(limited), use my ugoos' emby play the same medias, it shows HDR,hlg,dv, no show the (limited).
I think both kodinerds、fandango's Kodi-in-hdr,not ignore the el compeletly, may Kodi stable 21 could fix it?
and I suggest before playback these p7 wether mel or fel mkvs,could I choice playback it in hdr10 or DV mode? I think it could useful to someone use some DV issues devices like me ,therefor Kodi is my most like software, hope the team-kodi can resolve it in ROOt.
I've contact the ugoos boss in china , and I give him and his engineers feedback with the fel issues,I suggest them "As a consumer ,I think it’ll better in the firmware , put a “FEL” switch to on/off, or just abandon it worked(fel is not a big influence in movies), then with every media player ,such like Kodi ,Plex ,etc will be play st-dl.mkv smoothly! I wonder could this idea make real? "
anyone wants some suggest I can try to tell the ugoos, and team-kodi maybe with ugoos fix it together!
(2023-02-10, 06:20)jeffc3753 Wrote: [ -> ]I've contact the ugoos boss in china , and I give him and his engineers feedback with the fel issues,I suggest them "As a consumer ,I think it’ll better in the firmware , put a “FEL” switch to on/off, or just abandon it worked(fel is not a big influence in movies), then with every media player ,such like Kodi ,Plex ,etc will be play st-dl.mkv smoothly! I wonder could this idea make real? "
anyone wants some suggest I can try to tell the ugoos, and team-kodi maybe with ugoos fix it together!
Hi,
Please also see this topic, which is related to FEL playback issues in kodi 21 - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371521. It contains some examples of files that didn't playback smoothly. 
I tried to contact Ugoos team but didn't get any response from them. If you can get some engineer contact from Ugoos can you please share with me, I'd like to get the ROOT cause why Kodi cannot playback FEL on Ugoos AM6 Plus. Knowing the root cause will help preparing a Kodi change to avoid it.

> feature to switch FEL processing off
there is a Kodi PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/22546 prepared by @quietvoid that allows you to ignore FEL layer and you can play the FEL movie as MEL in Kodi 21.
i just tried a nightly master build (kodi-20230211-378fd55f-master-armeabi-v7a.apk) on firetv cube gen3 and its outputting codec hevc not dolby-vision

in most instances i would just shrug it off as its not reporting the correct codec but the color tone difference is obvious when playing the same file via a native exoplayer based option outside of kodi

did i miss something?

nevermind
When using the Nvidia Shield remote's navigation ring (that's the name on the remote diagram) to skip backward or forward (skip is the term used in the Kodi keyboard controls page) in a DV .mkv file, the DV playback loses its sync and audio drops in and out afterwards.  The only way to recover is to stop and resume playback.   Or use Plex.   Is this normal for DV playback on Kodi?   

Kodi_21.0-ALPHA1_Apkpure.apk -- only plays HDR10, skipping does not lose sync
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi21.arm64-v8a-202302240511-b5983dac-Omega.apk -- plays DV, skipping loses sync
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi20.arm64-v8a-202212240239-13b57f59-Nexus.apk-- plays DV, skipping loses sync
kodifoo21-arm64-v8a-release_2023-01-21.apk -- DV video in general looks stuttery (not smooth) even before skipping

Is there any apk where skipping DV .mkv doesn't impact sync or makes audio drop in and out?   Or is there some Kodi setting I need to change?
(2023-02-26, 00:16)ntropy Wrote: [ -> ]When using the Nvidia Shield remote's navigation ring (that's the name on the remote diagram) to skip backward or forward (skip is the term used in the Kodi keyboard controls page) in a DV .mkv file, the DV playback loses its sync and audio drops in and out afterwards.  The only way to recover is to stop and resume playback.   Or use Plex.   Is this normal for DV playback on Kodi?   

Kodi_21.0-ALPHA1_Apkpure.apk -- only plays HDR10, skipping does not lose sync
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi21.arm64-v8a-202302240511-b5983dac-Omega.apk -- plays DV, skipping loses sync
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi20.arm64-v8a-202212240239-13b57f59-Nexus.apk-- plays DV, skipping loses sync
kodifoo21-arm64-v8a-release_2023-01-21.apk -- DV video in general looks stuttery (not smooth) even before skipping

Is there any apk where skipping DV .mkv doesn't impact sync or makes audio drop in and out?   Or is there some Kodi setting I need to change?

Same on my ugoos but not in my tvapp
@ntropy allow me to inform you on some things

Kodi_21.0-ALPHA1_Apkpure.apk - Who knows what this is?
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi21.arm64-v8a-202302240511-b5983dac-Omega.apk kodinerds.net builds should be discussed at kodinerds.net mentioning them here is kind of like swearing in church
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi20.arm64-v8a-202212240239-13b57f59-Nexus.apk kodinerds.net builds should be discussed at kodinerds.net mentioning them here is kind of like swearing in church
kodifoo21-arm64-v8a-release_2023-01-21.apk this is over a month old and where did it come from?

if you read the first post DV has been added to kodi already so if you want to test it i think the best option would be to test a nightly version from kodi instead of weird builds above

nightlies are here https://kodi.tv/download/android click on "development builds"
(2023-02-27, 05:28)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]@ntropy allow me to inform you on some things

Kodi_21.0-ALPHA1_Apkpure.apk - Who knows what this is?
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi21.arm64-v8a-202302240511-b5983dac-Omega.apk kodinerds.net builds should be discussed at kodinerds.net mentioning them here is kind of like swearing in church
net.kodinerds.maven.kodi20.arm64-v8a-202212240239-13b57f59-Nexus.apk kodinerds.net builds should be discussed at kodinerds.net mentioning them here is kind of like swearing in church
kodifoo21-arm64-v8a-release_2023-01-21.apk this is over a month old and where did it come from?

if you read the first post DV has been added to kodi already so if you want to test it i think the best option would be to test a nightly version from kodi instead of weird builds above

nightlies are here https://kodi.tv/download/android click on "development builds"
Thanks for the link.   Installed kodi-20230227-1807d48c-master-arm64-v8a.apk.   Navigating/skipping backwards and forwards does not cause audio sync issues or dropouts but playback in general (with or without navigating) is choppy, like random frames are being skipped.

I did see the first post and googled "kodi 21 apk" and the top result was https://m.apkpure.com/kodi/org.xbmc.kodi/download and that is where Kodi_21.0-ALPHA1_Apkpure.apk came from.

Sorry for swearing in church.  I discovered Kodinerds back on 2021-06-26 in this very thread in post #5 (and many mentions in subsequent posts), and that (along with the title of this thread not mentioning any build by name) left me with the impression that this thread was open to discussion of that build or any build -- I'm not particular, I just want the build that plays and navigates DV MKV files smoothly, even if it is "weird".   Going to kodinerds.net would limit me to the struggle of making their particular build work (and their particular German way of discussing it) and then I would have FOMO of missing out on which "weird" build out there actually works.

Post #1104 in this thread mentioned "Supertoto1977's workaround Kodi 21 asof 2023-01-21 (based on Fritsch/Jogal's fix)" so I googled that which took me to the link to kodifoo21-arm64-v8a-release_2023-01-21.apk in this thread post #132.   It has a similar choppiness to the nightly build above.

Basically I'm just flailing around trying random .apk's.   I was under the impression that going with the Shield would put me under the safe umbrella of a popular platform blessed with an abundance of knowledgeable advice on how to achieve a solid DV MKV experience.  Just tried a search for "kodi mkv dolby vision" on nvidia's official forums but only seeing one result from 2y ago.  So this must be the place for Kodi talk.
(2023-02-27, 05:28)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]kodinerds.net
They are ok to discuss. IIRC one of our mods here also mods at kodinerds.
(2023-02-27, 22:48)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]

Well that's a relief.  Kodinerds has smooth (non-choppy) playback in v20 and v21, it's just the pausing and navigating that affects sync and causes audio dropouts.  (at least on the Shield, can't speak to other Android devices)
(2023-02-27, 22:48)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
i went out of my way to not say "its not okay" but instead maybe a social fopaux - anyone that wants to guess what kodinerds changed and compare it to results from an official build should feel welcome, of course
If I install Kodi 21 nightly on my 2019 Shield, do I need to run 21 on my 2017 Shield as well? Or can that stay v20?
v21 and v20 seems to be sharing the same database still, because I see play positions in v21 echoed in v20.  So the 2017 can stay v20 if that's a concern. 

They share the same splash screen as well.  Where's the Omega splash screen?
(2023-02-28, 03:31)ntropy Wrote: [ -> ]v21 and v20 seems to be sharing the same database still
They shouldn't be. They are different versions, and Kodi would most likely try to convert the old database to the new format, or crash.
(2023-02-28, 03:42)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-02-28, 03:31)ntropy Wrote: [ -> ]v21 and v20 seems to be sharing the same database still
They shouldn't be. They are different versions, and Kodi would most likely try to convert the old database to the new format, or crash.
I was surprised since I was expecting a new database, but as I mentioned, when I stop a movie in v20, it picks up where it left off in v21.  Isn't that the sign of the same database?   Also I updated the poster art for a movie and it is changed in both v20 and v21.  Maybe at the alpha stage they haven't gotten to updating the database yet and fall back on v20's database?   Checked HeidiSQL and I only see MyVideos116 (v18) and MyVideos121 (v20).  (where did v19's go? hmmm)  "TBD" is the designation for v21 in the table here https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases.
(2023-02-28, 04:24)ntropy Wrote: [ -> ]"TBD" is the designation for v21 in the table here https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases.
Yes at the bottom of the page. Looks like v21 hasn't yet had a database version bump. No changes yet this early in the design process.
Looks like you are safe until someone submits a change to v21 databases.