Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-11-10, 10:41)sasadangelo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Thanks for reply. But your mod is an Estuary skin modified by yourself or just an additional addon that in combination with my Estuary will support Artist Slideshow.
In the former case my fear is that I will have an Estuary skin that will be overridden whenever I update OSMC (usually once every two months).
What happen if Estuary team  do a set of fixes to the skin? Do you back port them in your own?

It's technically a completely different skin with a different name and versioning.  It's just that about 99% of the skin code is Estuary, so it's called a skin mod rather than something else.  It won't be overwritten when you update OSMC because all skins (except the default skin) is stored is your userdata directory, and the skins and addons in your userdata directory are never touched during updates.  Any time the Kodi team releases a new version of Kodi I check to see if there were any Estuary updates and back port them to my mod.  Usually that happens within a few days, but for major releases (like when Kodi 18 comes out) it can take much longer.  And I do this in my spare time, so sometimes life happens and the Kodi stuff doesn't.  Wink
=11ptHello together, =11ptArtist Slideshow is one of my favorite addons for Kodi.=11ptI love this Eye Candy!=11ptI use it with my Music library and with “my” Radio Stations. =11ptI`ve got two questions regarding the usage with some Internet Radio Stations.=11ptMost of my favorite Radio Stations shows Artist and Title, and AS works great. =11ptThere are unfortunately two of my favorites using a different syntax providing Artist and Title. 
  1. =11ptThe Station “Bayern1” uses a colon (Smile for signalizing the end of the Artists name.
=11ptExample: =11ptBeatles: Let it be=11ptThe colon is directly, without space, after the last letter of the Artist name=11ptIn this case AS does not show images or bio.   
  1. =11ptThe station SWR1 use another syntax like Title / Artist.
=11ptExample:=11ptLet it be / Beatles=11ptSo, they exchanged Title, Artist.=11ptAS cannot work with that Tag info too.   =11ptWould be great if someone can give me an advice to fix it.=11ptGreetings from Germany =11ptThomas
Hello together,
Artist Slideshow is one of my favorite addons for Kodi. I love this Eye Candy!
I use it with my Music library and with “my” Radio Stations.
I`ve got two questions regarding the usage with some Internet Radio Stations.
Most of my favorite Radio Stations shows Artist and Title, and AS works great.
There are unfortunately two of my favorites using a different syntax providing Artist and Title. 
  1. The Station “Bayern1” uses a colon (Smile for signalizing the end of the Artists name.
Example:
Beatles: Let it be
The colon is directly, without space, after the last letter of the Artist name.
In this case AS does not show images or bio.   

1. The station SWR1 use another syntax like Title / Artist.
Example:
Let it be / Beatles
So, they exchanged Title, Artist. AS cannot work with that Tag info too.
Would be great if someone can give me an advice to fix it.
Greetings from Germany

Thomas
Adding any other syntax for stations would require code changes. Adding support for every station’s choices would be a never ending game of wack-a-mole that I’m not interested in playing. If the station doesn’t provide the standard title and artist, AS won’t find any artists.

(2017-11-17, 15:23)1dz61 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello together,
Artist Slideshow is one of my favorite addons for Kodi. I love this Eye Candy!
I use it with my Music library and with “my” Radio Stations.
I`ve got two questions regarding the usage with some Internet Radio Stations.
Most of my favorite Radio Stations shows Artist and Title, and AS works great.
There are unfortunately two of my favorites using a different syntax providing Artist and Title. 
  1. The Station “Bayern1” uses a colon (Smile for signalizing the end of the Artists name.
Example:
Beatles: Let it be
The colon is directly, without space, after the last letter of the Artist name.
In this case AS does not show images or bio.   

1. The station SWR1 use another syntax like Title / Artist.
Example:
Let it be / Beatles
So, they exchanged Title, Artist. AS cannot work with that Tag info too.
Would be great if someone can give me an advice to fix it.
Greetings from Germany

Thomas
Ok, I  understand.Anyhow, Thanks for Info.

Thomas
Hello together,

Just another little question.
Is there a posibility to scroll manually through the arist bio?
With other words, I would like to switch the autoscroll function off, and will use buttons or the mouse wheel.
With some artists (Pink Floyd Genesis etc.) it`s a lot of information, and it might be easier to read.

I`ve checked the musicOSD.xml, and I think I have to add some code.
Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance
(2017-11-22, 09:53)1dz61 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello together,

Just another little question.
Is there a posibility to scroll manually through the arist bio?
With other words, I would like to switch the autoscroll function off, and will use buttons or the mouse wheel.
With some artists (Pink Floyd Genesis etc.) it`s a lot of information, and it might be easier to read.

I`ve checked the musicOSD.xml, and I think I have to add some code.
Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance
That would definitely be a skin related thing (and probably in musicOSD.xml).  I mostly control Kodi with keyboard commands via remote, so I have no idea how manual scrolling might work.  Here's the wiki entry for the text control though.  It's possible that if you just remove autoscroll that it will become a manual scroll thing.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Text_Box
Thanks again for your quick reply.

Thomas from Germany
Its in MusicVisualisation.xml

OSD are just the buttons
(2017-11-24, 00:48)meowmoo Wrote: [ -> ]Its in MusicVisualisation.xml

OSD are just the buttons
 Thanks for feedback.
But I`m a absolute newbie. Do you have some more specific info about.

BTW is it possible to change the text color of the artist bio?
I search the forum and I`ve made some changes on my XML files, but I couldn`t figure out.
(2017-11-30, 13:18)1dz61 Wrote: [ -> ]

OSD are just the buttons
 Thanks for feedback.

I search the forum and I`ve made some changes on my XML files, but I couldn`t figure out. 
Basically all the layout for that screen is in MusicVisualization.xml.  There isn't any real documentation for what's included there, so if you want to make changes you're just going to have to read through all the XML, find a section you think is where you want to be, and make changes.  You can also check out the skinning manual to get a sense of what's possible:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning_Manual
(2017-11-30, 13:18)1dz61 Wrote: [ -> ]

OSD are just the buttons
 Thanks for feedback.

search for ArtistSlideshow.ArtistBiography  something like
Quote:<label>$INFO[Window(Visualisation).Property(ArtistSlideshow.ArtistBiography)]</label>
should show up
you can change the color by adding someting like 
Quote:<textcolor>black</textcolor>
Hi, pkscout

I have been getting frustrated trying to get the slideshow plugin to work with amber, in the end I gave up and installed your modified skin. I now have the addon working when I start playing music but it only shows 2 images in the slideshow, both are images from TheAudioDB (there are 3 on the website), at no point for any artist does it show the local artwork. 

Is this a known issue? I have cleared all the hashed folders from userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\ArtistSlideshow to try and start fresh and get more than 2 images to play but this hasn't worked. 

Also is there any format for filenames where I can store the images locally? 

Cheers
(2017-12-12, 20:07)tomsutton529 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, pkscout

I have been getting frustrated trying to get the slideshow plugin to work with amber, in the end I gave up and installed your modified skin. I now have the addon working when I start playing music but it only shows 2 images in the slideshow, both are images from TheAudioDB (there are 3 on the website), at no point for any artist does it show the local artwork. 

Is this a known issue? I have cleared all the hashed folders from userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\ArtistSlideshow to try and start fresh and get more than 2 images to play but this hasn't worked. 

Also is there any format for filenames where I can store the images locally? 

Cheers
To my knowledge there is no issue with showing both local and remote artwork.  There is no specific naming convention for local artwork, but it does need to be stored in a folder called extrafanart within a folder that exactly matches the artist's name from Kodi.  You also need to set the location for the local artwork folder in the settings.  If none of that helps, I'd need to see a debug log.
Artist Slideshow 2.1.0 ALPHA2 Available for Testing
(note: there was no public Alpha1)

There is an early test release of AS available.  Because it's an early test release and has some substantial changes, it is not available via my beta repo yet.  If you want to try it, please go to the AS Releases page on Github.  You should use the installer zip and NOT the source zip.  Otherwise you'll end up with two copies of AS on your Kodi install.  Before installing this, I recommend, no implore, no BEG you to make a backup of userdata/addon_data/script.artistslideshow as well as the local artist image directory (if you have that setting enabled).  You must be on version 2.0.0 or later of AS to upgrade properly to this version.  If you're on something older it might work, but I doubt it.  I've included a suggested set of update steps at the end of this post in the hopes that some of you will read all the way through before upgrading.  '-)

The most significant upgrade for 2.1.0 is that AS no longer uses hashed directory or image file names.  That should make it easier for you to manually manage things if you want.  AS will run a one time upgrade routine to attempt to rename all the hashed folder names to the correct artist and rename the images to the original image download name.  Any artist information and image folders in the addon_data folder that can't be renamed will be moved to an archive folder in the addon_data folder so you can deal with them manually if you want.  Any empty directories will be deleted.

Other new features:
  • There is a new setting in the slideshow settings that will force AS to always use the local artist folder to store images.  This should alleviate the need to use AS Helper to move artwork from the addon_data directory to your local directory and makes sharing images between Kodi instances much easier.  The first time you run AS after enabling this setting, AS will move any images in addon_data to your local artist folder with the correct directory structure (and extranfanart folder name).  AS will delete any duplicate image from addon_data.
  • There is a new file called _imgdb.nfo that has a list of all files downloaded for that artist.  Once downloaded an image will never be downloaded again (unless you remove it from _imgdb.nfo or delete that file), so you can now delete files without having to worry about them being downloaded again.  That should help people who want to curate the images some.
  • Each Kodi instance will still have it's own Artist Information folder, but an image won't be downloaded unless it is truly new (i.e. not in _imgdb.nfo).  Previously AS would download an image before realizing it didn't need it, so this should significantly reduce the strain on external image services.
  • Because AS now uses artist names as folder names, fuzzy artist search is now permanently enabled, as all folders must have safe names.  By default AS uses the Windows illegal character list (as it is the largest), but you can change that in the settings if you want to.  AS replaces illegal characters with an underscore (_) by default and deletes any trailing period.  Both these can be changed in the settings.

Here are some things I've noticed so far:
  • The folder renaming and archiving works, but I have a few directories that don't get renamed or archived.  It looks like they are duplicate artist names that for some reason had different hashes.  I think that likely happened as unicode support was added to AS, and you should be able to just delete any directories that don't get renamed or archived (or move them manually to the archive folder).
  • Image renaming depends on having the original URL for the image download.  So anything from Last.fm or HTBackdrops won't be unhashed because neither service provides API based image downloads anymore.  Also, the API key for Fanart.tv changed awhile back, so you probably ended up with duplicate images if you've been using AS long enough.  Only the newer set of images will be renamed.  The old ones can be left alone or manually deleted.  Your choice.
  • It can take awhile to get through a large library of folders and images.

OK, here's my suggested steps:
  1. Grab the installer zip from the releases page.
  2. Install it as you normally would for addons.
  3. if you want to enable to forced local storage, go to the AS settings and enable that *before* you run AS.  You can turn it on later, but I think it's easier to do it all at once.
  4. Enable Kodi debug logging AND AS logging (this will help if you run into a problem that I need to troubleshoot).
  5. Go to the Program Addons area and run AS from there.  You won't get any feedback from AS, but you should be able to see the progress either in the log or by looking at your filesystem.
  6. Once your sure it's done and it worked, disable debug logging for Kodi and AS.

If for some reason you need to run the upgrade again, you need to delete the migrationcheck.nfo and imagecheck.nfo (if you did the forced local storage) files.  That will force AS to run the upgrade routines again.

If you run into problems with the alpha (especially with the upgrade routines), PLEASE post a debug log.  That'll help me track down what's happening and try to duplicate the problem.