Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2023-08-03, 19:53)Longtime Collector Wrote: [ -> ]Fanart in the default location (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\ArtistSlideshow\) keeps repopulating after I delete them. I have a custom location defined in the artistslideshow settings (M:\Music\ΩArtistSlideshow).  It's 10gb in 4900+ folders. I need the space on my c: drive.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\ArtistInformation\ is pretty much empty (23 folders).

Any help appreciated.
It would be helpful to get a screenshot of the STORAGE area of the AS settings.  There are two storage locations in the settings - one for artist information and one for artist fanart.  AS should never store artwork in mutiple locations without a setting change, so if you believe you are seeing that, I need to see a debug log (both Kodi and AS debugging on) where art is being stored in two different locations.

To answer your other question, the trimming is only for the Kodi addon folder and only appears if you select that as the storage location for images.
Oh how embarrassing. I had my backup routine for the c: drive set to 'mirror' instead of 'backup' ... So sorry for this screwup.
As for my comment on thumbs.jpg I was hoping for a solution similar to artwork dump which has whitelist filenames. With a blacklist all the slideshow fanarts can be stored in the artist information folder, with thumb, clearart, clearlogo, landscape, etc. blacklisted and not shown during artistslideshow playback.
Hi,
Using Artist Slideshow when playing radio strm files. Working great for most station strms, creating an artist folder and downloading artist fanart etc.
However, there are a couple of stations which, for some reason, seem to name & link the playing track name with the Artist. For example, a track playing as I type this, is shown as: 'Heaven is a place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle'. A folder has been created called 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle', but nothing is being saved into the folder. Is there anything I can do to get the addon to find & save any artist images? Hope that makes sense?
I don't suppose there is a way I could mask anything to the left and including the word 'by', as that is the word prefixing every entry? e.g.  'Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle'
(2023-09-01, 23:18)Chalklands Wrote: [ -> ]I don't suppose there is a way I could mask anything to the left and including the word 'by', as that is the word prefixing every entry? e.g.  'Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle'
Nope.  There is absolutely no way to tell the difference between that and a song with the word "by" in it.
(2023-09-02, 12:37)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-09-01, 23:18)Chalklands Wrote: [ -> ]I don't suppose there is a way I could mask anything to the left and including the word 'by', as that is the word prefixing every entry? e.g.  'Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle'
Nope.  There is absolutely no way to tell the difference between that and a song with the word "by" in it.
Thanks for your reply. It was a long shot! No worries.
The wiki for this addon states:
"In order to download images from fanart.tv, AS must have the MusicBrainz ID for the playing artist. The easiest way to get that information is to tag your music using MusicBrainz Picard. Once you have done that rescan your music library to import the new information into Kodi."
An earlier reply in this thread (I believe) states you implemented a workaround so this was no longer necessary (I don't have MusicBrainz ID tagged in my songs and I download fanart just fine).
I wonder though if there are certain artists that might be missed without a MusicBrainz ID? Also, is the tag (MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID?)

Thx
(2023-09-22, 18:29)Longtime Collector Wrote: [ -> ]The wiki for this addon states:
"In order to download images from fanart.tv, AS must have the MusicBrainz ID for the playing artist. The easiest way to get that information is to tag your music using MusicBrainz Picard. Once you have done that rescan your music library to import the new information into Kodi."
An earlier reply in this thread (I believe) states you implemented a workaround so this was no longer necessary (I don't have MusicBrainz ID tagged in my songs and I download fanart just fine).
I wonder though if there are certain artists that might be missed without a MusicBrainz ID? Also, is the tag (MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID?)

Thx
Without a MusicBrainz ID, you won't get Fanart.tv art.  I just double checked the code, and I don't see anyway you'll get it without that ID.  But you will still get stuff from TheAudioDB if you have that on.  In MusicBrainz Picard the entry is "MusicBrainz Artist ID" and that's what the Kodi music scraper looks for.  It's possible the scraper will add that data when adding music (at least when it can), so that might be why you are seeing more images even though you didn't specifically add it.
I may have been fooled into thinking I was downloading Fanart.tv by my merely relying on filenaming conventions and file dimensions (there are many duplicate entries within theaudiodb).  I found an example (CAKE) where there were two images on fanart.tv not on theaudiodb, and adding the musicbrainz id to the artist AS grabbed these two missing images.

So another question: how do you handle musicbrainz_artistid numbers of the format #/# (e.g., Bonnie Davis - Don't Stop Now.mp3 = 7f8b1490-5490-4f60-8233-9972e1977aec/a05cebe9-3c27-4b79-8a33-db24a82c45ba/c0e2ac29-928e-4e50-a446-1634b602cd55)?
(2023-09-23, 13:55)Longtime Collector Wrote: [ -> ]I may have been fooled into thinking I was downloading Fanart.tv by my merely relying on filenaming conventions and file dimensions (there are many duplicate entries within theaudiodb).  I found an example (CAKE) where there were two images on fanart.tv not on theaudiodb, and adding the musicbrainz id to the artist AS grabbed these two missing images.

So another question: how do you handle musicbrainz_artistid numbers of the format #/# (e.g., Bonnie Davis - Don't Stop Now.mp3 = 7f8b1490-5490-4f60-8233-9972e1977aec/a05cebe9-3c27-4b79-8a33-db24a82c45ba/c0e2ac29-928e-4e50-a446-1634b602cd55)?
I don't handle any of that in the add-on.  The music scraper is the thing that figures all that out and stores it in the Kodi database.   The add-on ask Kodi for a bunch of information via a combination of Python and JSON calls.  For a song that has multiple artists, Kodi returns a list of musicbrainz IDs which the add-on then uses as needed.
Got it. Thanks
Just a quick update. I emptied out the AS ArtistInformation folder and deleted MyMusic82.db ... then loaded 888 unique artists into Kodi without MusicBrainz Artist ID's (loaded a single mp3 for each of the 888 artists). In my log file (which unfortunately I lost) it did look as though AS was using the MusicBrainz Artist ID downloaded from theaudiodb in order to query fanart.tv.
However, there are verrrrry few images on fanart.tv which are not in theaudiodb.
Interestingly, I then loaded up the same 888 artists with their MusicBrainz Artist ID and many more images were found on theaudiodb.
Bottom line: it's worth loading up MusicBrainz Artist ID into the mp3 tags, but not for fanart.tv

At least that's my current theory and I'm sticking to it until I hear better.
I've noticed that several of my artists that end in period (Carl Dobkins Jr., Grover Washington Jr., Hank Williams Jr.) have no fanart. Does Artistslideshow handle these correctly given that MS Windows does not allow periods at the end of folders? That is to say, all my fanart folders for these artists are period-less.
(2023-11-08, 16:21)Longtime Collector Wrote: [ -> ]I've noticed that several of my artists that end in period (Carl Dobkins Jr., Grover Washington Jr., Hank Williams Jr.) have no fanart. Does Artistslideshow handle these correctly given that MS Windows does not allow periods at the end of folders? That is to say, all my fanart folders for these artists are period-less.
It should.  I have Harry Connick, Jr. music in my library.  The folder AS creates is Harry Connick Jr and I have art for it.  In the settings under ADVANCED (it's after similar artists, so you have to scroll down) check to see what is set in PLATFORM FOR IMAGE STORAGE.  I can't remember what the default is, but if you set it to Windows that will make sure AS avoids Windows special characters and not put a period at the end of a folder name.