Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux) - Thread 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-08-21, 22:11)msmith8228 Wrote: [ -> ]Correct -- My List additions from the website will show up in My List KODI.

Now from within KODI add something new to My List (using the KODI context menu) add see if it shows up in My List KODI - even after a restart of KODI. Next using the website see if the addition made to My List from within KODI shows up in the web My List.

Ahhh... got it.
can't get this addon to work at all Sad
after inputting the login, it gets stuck on "Starting Login". Sad
(2015-08-23, 03:57)fabiomello Wrote: [ -> ]can't get this addon to work at all Sad
after inputting the login, it gets stuck on "Starting Login". Sad
After 91 posts you should know that you have to send a logfile to get help.
fabiomello: turn off "used advanced SSL" in the addon's advanced settings. I highly recommend spending some quality time with this thread. Read it front to back and take note of the issues/solutions. You will encounter a few...
Sort of off topic, but given the number of WMC ppl moving to Kodi due to Netflx plugin support ending, kind of relevant. Here's something for Windows users if you haven't already figured this out. I just figured out a better way to start into Kodi than using the eventghost method described in the Wiki. I'm taking advantage of the improved task scheduler available in Windows 7 and greater. Specifically, it has the ability to schedule a task when anybody logs in. Hehhehheh... Here's the overview:
  • set Windows up for auto login if you haven't already
  • use the task scheduler to schedule tasks for the programs you must run. Set them to run when anybody logs in. I schedule my chromecloser powershell script, and a program called iMon.exe which handles the built in IR/front panel desplay on my media PC
  • now just change the shell key in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon from explorer.exe to c:\program files (x86)\kodi\kodi.exe

Startup is super fast!
(2015-07-06, 00:33)ultimateguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-05, 23:43)Remain666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-05, 19:51)ultimateguy Wrote: [ -> ]Running the most recent netflixbmc from the alelec repository under Windows 8.1 and Kodi 14.2.

When I try to play something, Chrome opens fine and then Netflix tells me that the WidevineCdm component is missing. I tried updating it like it said, but this doesn't work. Yet I'm able to play Netflix manually in Chrome. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Same for me! :/

I solved both of my problems. It wasn't installing because the netflixbmc utility was still running. I started Task Manager and closed it. Then I was able to install NetfliXBMC.

For the WidevineCDM problem, here is what I did:

1) Go to System->Settings->Add-ons->Enabled Add-ons-> Video Add-ons->NetfliXBMC->Configure
2) Under the advanced tab, check "Chrome: don't use kiosk mode" and choose OK
3) Launch NetfliXBMC and play something. You will get the same WidevineCDM error as before.
4) Open a new tab in Chrome (CTRL+T) and navigate to chrome://components
5) For me, the WidevineCDM version said 0.0.0.0. Click "check for update" and it should download the newest version of WidevineCDM.
6) Close Chrome and go back to the NetfliXBMC Configure screen from steps 1-2. Uncheck "Chrome: don't use kiosk mode"

Now it should work again. Apparently the instance of Chrome that Chrome Launcher uses is not the same as the normal version of Chrome, so it needed to update WidevineCDM in the Chrome Launcher instance.

Amazing! Was going crazy about this issue already. Your description worked like a breeze! Thx, mate
My family and I have been thoroughly enjoying this Add-on! So far the minor issues I've had, I've been able to resolve thanks to this thread. But I have been unable to resolve an issue that cropped up today. That is, my search function seems to have stopped working. I have also noticed roughly a day or so ago that the Suggested Items no longer seem to populate, but I can deal with that so long as I can search to find what I am looking for. Though worst case scenario I can do what I've been doing searching in the mobile app, adding what I want to watch to My List and picking it up from there. But the ability to search from within the Kodi interface would be the best solution.

Here is a copy of my Kodi Log

Please let me know if I need to provide any other info to assist in troubleshooting the error.

Edit: I did try the search url in my browser and Netflix responded with results, it seems Netflixbmc is maybe having trouble parsing the search results?
(2015-08-21, 00:19)Sleuth255 Wrote: [ -> ]I fixed the mylist problem by uncommenting a second load(url) attempt in the listvideos def of the add-on's default.py:

Specifically, I removed the comment on the last line of the following:
Code:
def listVideos(url, type):
    pDialog = xbmcgui.DialogProgress()
    pDialog.create('NetfliXBMC', translation(30142)+"...")
    pDialog.update( 0, translation(30142)+"...")
    xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, "movies")
    content = load(url)
#   content = load(url) # Terrible... currently first call doesn't have the content, it requires two calls....

looks like the two call requirement is back... I'm testing for other impact.

edit:

No other adverse impact found.
This did solve a part of my problem, making use of kodi 15.1 windows 8.1 and iexplorer.

I did also change 1 line of Python, and exclude Norton 360 to see a file as a trojan.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=...pid2089495

Edit:
Too soon, this addon is still full of problems, many menu options don't work anymore.
Perhaps the page source did change.
Tv shows:
Latest, all shows, gernes.
Movies:
Latest, genres

All those menu options just don't do anything.
To be clear, I don't make use this addon, my smart tv has a netflix app, which is just working fine. I also make use of chromecast, from my android tablet I can chromecast with minor problems.
Verified. It looks like the HTML has been modified so the regex searches are broken.
It's a shame more and more things are breaking, although it's somewhat expected.

The recent overhaul to the netflix web interface (which actually didn't fix enough in my opinion) did completely break the plugin, and since then we've been relying on a compatibility quirk where pretending we're an old browser seemed to give us basically the previous web ui, however it seems that more and more of that is disappearing.

I agree that the only real path forward is to get into some level of netflix api, web scraping won't really work anymore as an increasing amount of the site is using browser-run js and load-on-demand information, which either can't be done (easily) in kodi, or will be prohibitively slow to use. Either way requires a significant overhaul of the plugin.

We may not have to get netflix's support for this though, perhaps these guys can help: http://netflixroulette.net/api/
They seem to have show data, although I can't see anything in their current api to use to build menus.

Otherwise it's possible we may be able to reverse engineer the api, there certainly is one and it does appear to be designed as a consistent interface between their servers the the client side ui code.
http://applicative.acm.org/speaker-JafarHusain.html
http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/01/opti...x-api.html
http://techblog.netflix.com/2014/03/the-...tform.html

The widevine issues can be resolved by moving away from my canned chrome userdata to use standard chrome install. If my chome keymapping / exit plugin is needed the end user can install that in their normal chrome and turn off the setting to use the canned userdata. Longer term it would probably be better to move netflixbmc away from ChromeDriver to my new webdriver plugin (https://github.com/andrewleech/script.module.webdriver) which is almost at initial release, which handles key forwarding in a much more compatible way, and doesn't need anywhere near the same amount of hacks to bring chrome to the front. It's not quite ready yet though.

The SSL issues could possibly be fixed by more intelligent automatic testing and switching on/off the advanced ssl depending on what works for the individual connection.
Longer term I'd prefer to stop using python/requests to get the web data and instead use a background web browser (via my script.module.webdriver module) to improve compatibility with modern websites and bring in possibility of leveraging said browser to handle front-end javascript for the page being scraped.

The big issue here for me I haven't been using netflix for some time; I basically stopped finding things I wanted to watch on it.
As such maintaining this plugin is not very near the top of my priority list sad to say. I'll be able to do a bit here and there but can't justify a major rewrite.
FWIW top of my list for kodi is SBS ondemand (australia only) and Hulu, both of which will be using my script.module.webdriver for playback.
(2015-08-21, 18:54)TooManyAntennas Wrote: [ -> ]Well, as much as I LOVE this add-on and really think the work is great, I'm afraid Netflix (or Google) will break it while I'm working in the field and Wife is not going to be happy. Official API would be REALLY nice.

So the squeaky wheel get the grease. We ALL need to open an request for official API or official support with Netflix. I just did and if enough of us WMC refugees, along with regular users of Kodi, suggest Kodi support, Maybe it will happen. Remember, we are not pirating anything and with tuner support, Kodi is a very valid way to watch OTA and Netflix from one common 10 foot, remote friendly interface. A valid WMC replacer.... Guy I chatted with said he would pass on to correct department. Here is how I did the chat with Netflix:

From eHow: "To reach the Help Center, first log on to Netflix and then mouse over your account name in the upper right-hand corner. A menu appears. Click "Help Center". The Help Center provides links with answers to common questions. You will see categories like "Learn About Netflix", "Manage My Account," "Watching Netflix," and more, but none of the selections will let you make a direct request for a new title. To request a new title you will need to communicate directly with a Netflix representative using a chat session or by calling the customer service number.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8194260_request-...tflix.html"

Tell them you really would like offical support for Kodi. Even an offical API to program against would be better than nothing, then Netflix wouldn't even have to write it, would they?

Let the complaining to Netflix begin...

Did my part. Everybody else needs to do the same. Step up and make the request.
(2015-08-26, 03:27)Sleuth255 Wrote: [ -> ]Verified. It looks like the HTML has been modified so the regex searches are broken.

Have you figured out which changes need to be applied to get it to parse correctly?
(2015-08-26, 04:53)RobbieWilkes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-21, 18:54)TooManyAntennas Wrote: [ -> ]Well, as much as I LOVE this add-on and really think the work is great, I'm afraid Netflix (or Google) will break it while I'm working in the field and Wife is not going to be happy. Official API would be REALLY nice.

So the squeaky wheel get the grease. We ALL need to open an request for official API or official support with Netflix. I just did and if enough of us WMC refugees, along with regular users of Kodi, suggest Kodi support, Maybe it will happen. Remember, we are not pirating anything and with tuner support, Kodi is a very valid way to watch OTA and Netflix from one common 10 foot, remote friendly interface. A valid WMC replacer.... Guy I chatted with said he would pass on to correct department. Here is how I did the chat with Netflix:

From eHow: "To reach the Help Center, first log on to Netflix and then mouse over your account name in the upper right-hand corner. A menu appears. Click "Help Center". The Help Center provides links with answers to common questions. You will see categories like "Learn About Netflix", "Manage My Account," "Watching Netflix," and more, but none of the selections will let you make a direct request for a new title. To request a new title you will need to communicate directly with a Netflix representative using a chat session or by calling the customer service number.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8194260_request-...tflix.html"

Tell them you really would like offical support for Kodi. Even an offical API to program against would be better than nothing, then Netflix wouldn't even have to write it, would they?

Let the complaining to Netflix begin...

Did my part. Everybody else needs to do the same. Step up and make the request.

I've just done this through Live Chat asking for either an official add-on or access to an official API.

The guy on the other end had not heard of Kodi so I explained it was an open source media centre product like WMC and gave him the blog address. I also stressed it was to access subscribed content in case he thought it was one of those 'other' sites.
I suspect that requesting an official KODI - Netflix plugin or the exact details about the closed Netflix API will get us a zero response.

With the withdrawal of the public API, closing down the WMC Netflix interface on Sept 15th and all of the constant changes to the web interface HTML code we seem to be stepping backwards further and further each day from any kind of working long term KODI interface to Netflix. Add to that the apparent ongoing fear Netflix seems to have of adding any keyboard arrow navigation keys to the current web interface makes this whole thing very painful. I am not sure what their problem is with keyboard commands -- possibly some sort of security fear for content owners ??. Clearly they seem to have no concept of the need for any type of a HTPC interface -- most likely due to the fact that HTPC users are a small percentage of their overall user base (and decreasing each month compared to all the other NetFlix devices out there).

If I understand it correctly there is a similar mess in trying to integrate HULU or Amazon instant video into KODI with the constant almost daily break down and resulting security changes to the Adobe Flash plugin.

All in all a very frustrating experience. KODI is a perfect as a media center -- except for all these web streaming integration issues -- and in the end none of these problems are really KODI's fault in any way. Having a fully integrated KODI - Netflix experience (or a least a somewhat seamless KODI - Chrome - Netflix experience) is something that is not going to happen in the near future.

I hope I am wrong about this but without the details as to the closed API this whole thing will remain a mess.
(2015-08-26, 03:27)Sleuth255 Wrote: [ -> ]Verified. It looks like the HTML has been modified so the regex searches are broken.
Just an idea, if the html from netflix is changing all the time, wouldn't it be possible to scrape a website containing the netflix information.
By example:

http://instantwatcher.com/
The problem with this site is that the source is for US only. Some links don't exists in the Netherlands by example. But the site looks great.

Additional information:
How are you associated with Netflix?
Netflix built something called the Netflix API, which lets independent software developers use Netflix's database to build useful applications for Netflix users. This website uses the Netflix API to build its own, separate database of Netflix's streaming titles. This website is not owned or controlled by Netflix.