Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-09-09, 23:03)braz Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone having trouble with standalone launchers? Mine are just opening up a Windows Explorer window to Kodi's path, and not launching the game.

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi

I thought maybe it was because I imported my launchers from Advanced Launcher, but it does this same this with ones created directly in AEL.

Thanks!

Braz, maybe the launchers.xml cleaner I did is screwing up. Send me your launchers.xml and I will have a look. Also, if you are considering making a view for AEL in Mimic or Arctic and need help I'm here to serve Wink

Edit: Braz, quick question. Does your filesystem have files with non-ASCII characters? Maybe issue can be related with Unicode support.

Regarding .lnk launchers: In theory they should work but maybe I broke some compatibility with AL in the launching code. Anyway, AL launcher code was based on a Python 2.4 and now Kodi ships with Python 2.7. This means I should replace it shortly and there could be problems until I get it right.

One question: when you use lnk launchers, are standalone launchers or ROM launchers? Also, if standalone, the lnk points to an EXE right?
(2016-09-10, 00:01)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-09, 23:03)braz Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone having trouble with standalone launchers? Mine are just opening up a Windows Explorer window to Kodi's path, and not launching the game.

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi

I thought maybe it was because I imported my launchers from Advanced Launcher, but it does this same this with ones created directly in AEL.

Thanks!

Braz, maybe the launchers.xml cleaner I did is screwing up. Send me your launchers.xml and I will have a look. Also, if you are considering making a view for AEL in Mimic or Arctic and need help I'm here to serve Wink

Edit: Braz, quick question. Does your filesystem have files with non-ASCII characters? Maybe issue can be related with Unicode support.

Regarding .lnk launchers: In theory they should work but maybe I broke some compatibility with AL in the launching code. Anyway, AL launcher code was based on a Python 2.4 and now Kodi ships with Python 2.7. This means I should replace it shortly and there could be problems until I get it right.

One question: when you use lnk launchers, are standalone launchers or ROM launchers? Also, if standalone, the lnk points to an EXE right?
Thanks for the quick response! I'm using standalone launchers with links that point to Window game .exe files.

I just went looking for my launcher.xml in AEL's addon_data folder, but didn't find it. Instead, it looks like all of my launchers are in categories.xml. Is it supposed to be like this?

Doesn't look to be a unicode issue, I've likely just messed something up. Smile
I haven't gotten into emulators, just playing Windows games. I've got them setup with square thumbs and two views available (list and thumbnails). Here's what the thumbnail view looks like, it will keep the aspect ratio of whatever art is provided. I guess I'd have to install an emulator to create any views for other art types. Not sure when I'll get to that though, might just wait for RetroPlayer.

(2016-09-09, 22:59)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]It does ! ( usefull for pc game too !)

Really? Awesome. I couldn't get it to work for me. When I try to launch Netflix, it just brings up the kodi exe directory in windows explorer.
(2016-09-10, 02:21)patm95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-09, 22:59)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]It does ! ( usefull for pc game too !)

Really? Awesome. I couldn't get it to work for me. When I try to launch Netflix, it just brings up the kodi exe directory in windows explorer.

Post a debug log as indicated in first post and I will have a look.

Sent from my SC-02G
Thank you! It was actually bringing up Launcher for Kodi. I was mistaken in my previous post. But here is the debug log. Thank you!

http://pastebin.com/FHLpujLG
(2016-09-10, 19:55)patm95 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you! It was actually bringing up Launcher for Kodi. I was mistaken in my previous post. But here is the debug log. Thank you!

http://pastebin.com/FHLpujLG

Does Netflix.lnk point to an exe file?
(2016-09-06, 07:46)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-04, 18:49)foleyjo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-04, 17:00)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]That should be already there. Edit the launcher, advanced settings.
Thanks for the reply Wintermute but I can't find an option to minimise anywhere. I found the option to switch to windowed mode in the advanced launcher settings but after switching to windowed mode the window was still open in the background. I have to manually minimise it to the task bar before I get full speed.

I'm sorry, got totally confused. You are right, AEL has the ability to turn Kodi into windowed mode but not to minimise Kodi's window.

OK, so googling a bit I have found a potential solution for you. You need to use an external tool like this one. Download the tool and place in a convenient directory (for example, C:/Tools/) and then create a launcher script like this,

Code:
REM launcher.cmd for Fusion
REM This script should be called as:
REM launcher.cmd rom_path.ext

REM Minimise Kodi window
c:\Tools\cmdow "Kodi" /MIN

REM Execute emulator
c:\Fusion\Fusion.exe %1

REM Maximise Kodi window and make Kodi window active
c:\Tools\cmdow "Kodi" /MAX /ACT

Note that this script is orientative, I have not tested it (I'm a Linux user myself) and maybe you will need to change it a bit. Hope this helps!

Rom Collection browser has an option which - if I remember correctly - closes Kodi, and restarts it when the emulator is shut down. Would be great to implement something like this. It would really help older machines run smoothly
Cool stuff, I played a little with it and was able to create a Games Hub !

watch gallery

Came across 2 things:

1. The genre browsing looks a bit messy because original Advanced Launcher scrapped multiple genres separated by "/". Can this be parsed correctly, Not sure I would have the courage to redo genres manually.
2. When launching a game it seems notification uses the rom file name and not the scrapped titles like AL does. Titles would be better (I have unchecked ignore scrapped titles in settings)

watch gallery

Otherwise really cool plugin. Hope skinners will take it into account.
(2016-09-13, 18:10)Girgl Wrote: [ -> ]Rom Collection browser has an option which - if I remember correctly - closes Kodi, and restarts it when the emulator is shut down. Would be great to implement something like this. It would really help older machines run smoothly

I used RCB before this one and though I liked it I had problems importing my roms and assetts. I much prefer AEL.
The option to close and restart Kodi I found irritating. Kodi would close fine but when exiting a game I had to wait for KODI to restart and then manually go back into RCB, select my filter and wait for the game list to load back in.
I also tried the minimise feature but as I have found out with AEL I need to minimise maximise then minimise before my sega games run full speed.
(2016-09-13, 23:18)RazorFR Wrote: [ -> ]1. The genre browsing looks a bit messy because original Advanced Launcher scrapped multiple genres separated by "/". Can this be parsed correctly, Not sure I would have the courage to redo genres manually.

Having categories/genres like "Action / Adventure" is common in MAME's Catver.ini. If I parse the categories of "Action / Adventure" into two separate ones then some MAME users will complain. I think I will leave the current implementation as it is.

(2016-09-13, 23:18)RazorFR Wrote: [ -> ]2. When launching a game it seems notification uses the rom file name and not the scrapped titles like AL does. Titles would be better (I have unchecked ignore scrapped titles in settings)

I can confirm the issue in the source code. Will change ASAP.

By the way, the skin you using is Arctic Zephyr, a mod of it or a completely different one? I'm curious.
(2016-09-14, 09:15)foleyjo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-13, 18:10)Girgl Wrote: [ -> ]Rom Collection browser has an option which - if I remember correctly - closes Kodi, and restarts it when the emulator is shut down. Would be great to implement something like this. It would really help older machines run smoothly

I used RCB before this one and though I liked it I had problems importing my roms and assetts. I much prefer AEL.
The option to close and restart Kodi I found irritating. Kodi would close fine but when exiting a game I had to wait for KODI to restart and then manually go back into RCB, select my filter and wait for the game list to load back in.
I also tried the minimise feature but as I have found out with AEL I need to minimise maximise then minimise before my sega games run full speed.

Closing Kodi, launch, then opening Kodi again will require to install an additional plugin as a service (I believe if I recall correctly how RCB works...), and generally complicate things a lot. For most users the current launcher mechanism is very good and much better than the buggy RCB. However, if users of low-end hardware such as the raspi desperately need it then I will consider an implementation.

Currently I'm focusing of replacing the old launcher code (wich is based on Python 2.4 and currently Kodi ships with Python 2.7) with a new, modern one. This new launcher code will allow saving the launched program output into a log file to view later and check for errors. This will be really useful when setting things up.
I'm the only one who has mentioned the issue with slow down when launching a game and it was only when using Kega Fusion.
The solution you provided works fine for me so I'd prefer if you continued to work on other things rather than look at other ways to resolve the issue. I'm sure you have loads of things you want to do instead of spending time on this.
(2016-09-14, 12:53)foleyjo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm the only one who has mentioned the issue with slow down when launching a game and it was only when using Kega Fusion.
The solution you provided works fine for me so I'd prefer if you continued to work on other things rather than look at other ways to resolve the issue. I'm sure you have loads of things you want to do instead of spending time on this.

Yeah. Actually I was answering to Girgl rather than you. Indeed, I have other things to do like finishing Advanced MAME Launcher Big Grin Advanced Emulator Launcher 0.9.2, with working scrapers for all assets supported by websites, is almost ready to go.
Thanks for the feedback

(2016-09-14, 10:40)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, the skin you using is Arctic Zephyr, a mod of it or a completely different one? I'm curious.

Skin is Artic Zephyr with a couple of video library views added for programs