Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-08-11, 17:16)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I have now tried the revert to android on the Ember site and still the same..... guess I'm stuck with what I have. I hope this doesn't happen on my other boxes otherwise I have 3 atv1200s all with Ember 1.00.

Thanks anyway all Smile

No, you can revert back to android but you'll have to use the pin shorting method I'm afraid. I also found that the revert files for Ember didn't work and had to go the long long route... it took several attempts but the boxes can be reverted to android (I used the instructions and files I found on the forum at http://www.mygicasupport.com/ and then brought it up to the latest version of android)
(Since then I installed Ember 2.0.2 and it works fine)
Completely new to this alternative for ATV1200 boxes, I service several of them for friends and family members. I have some basic questions, like if you install this Ember or MX Linux firmware (BTW can you point me to download links of this MX Linux?), do you get some Linux interface like you get Android on this box from which you then start Kodi?

Another question, it seems that with these custom firmwares you are 'stuck' with the Kodi version that was worked into the firmware, right? On Android (MyGica Android flavour), on version 4.2.2 anyway, that came with Kodi 14.1 officially, I can opt to reinstall Kodi to the latest Isengard current version and it works just fine.

With Linux on this box I understand I'd get leaner and meaner OS than MyGica's Android but the trade off is this loss of installing new Kodi versions as they come out.

I suppose Android on ATV1200 is bulky, heavy and all that but I suppose you guys may have left it for Linux on version 4.1 and probably Frodo XBMC as these boxes got sold stock installed, maybe to the end of being sold, and you didn't try current Android 4.2.2 on then with current Kodi. To be sure I don't put it through some heavy paces but at minimum it is quite stable, does what it is supposed to do, maybe unless you go for high quality 1080p and the digital audio stuff... which may be completely lacking on Android or it is putting the box on the edge of what it can do, given its OS is not lean and mean...
(2015-08-11, 20:38)van141 Wrote: [ -> ]Completely new to this alternative for ATV1200 boxes, I service several of them for friends and family members. I have some basic questions, like if you install this Ember or MX Linux firmware (BTW can you point me to download links of this MX Linux?), do you get some Linux interface like you get Android on this box from which you then start Kodi?

Another question, it seems that with these custom firmwares you are 'stuck' with the Kodi version that was worked into the firmware, right? On Android (MyGica Android flavour), on version 4.2.2 anyway, that came with Kodi 14.1 officially, I can opt to reinstall Kodi to the latest Isengard current version and it works just fine.
I have never succeeded in loading Ember. Not sure I'm too worried about that when I read about the problems with it. I use the MX Linux (version 2 on the first post of this thread). There is no MX Linux interface per se (except via Putty), the box boots straight into Kodi.

You are 'stuck' with the Kodi version that you download, that only matters if you need the latest version for a particular feature.

If you're satisfied with you Android version why worry about the MX Linux version? I switched because my box was not very stable with the Android 4.1.2 that it came with and I was looking for something really easy to deal with for other members of the household. Fixing a problem when it occurs is limited to switching the box off (power cord or using the button on the front of the box) and then back on again.
van141, you have valid points. I think in general people move to pure Linux for one of a few reasons:

1. Better performance (Linux footprint smaller than Android, which also runs some Linux kernel btw)
2. Boot straight into Kodi w/ no other options (e.g. dedicated device)
3. Ability to administer with classic Linux tools (I scripted the transfer of files over the network with FTP)
4. In the vain of #3, this makes true backups (better than XBMC Backup app) easy. Same thing with viewing logs, etc.
5. People like putting Linux on everything
Thank you both for answers. Here's my take on this box.

As bought, Android 4.1.2 with Frodo was totally unacceptable except maybe as geeks personal box and even then. It had too many bugs even when used by ordinary folks who don't put it through paces. The update '4.1.2 to 4.2.2' I see as completely mandatory, plus the second update '4.2.2 with Kodi 14.1' if the box is to be used by the family, friends.

I read about people installing 14.2 and that gave me idea to try the newest v15.0 and it worked. You are quite right about that it "only matters if you need the latest version for a particular feature" - apart from the new logo when Kodi starts, it makes no difference to my use and if anything it is slightly harder to use since some menus in Settings have been changed (particularly Add-on section) which takes getting used to. However I found I could restore 'Backup' I made in v14 to this new v15 and not only that, the Backup now restores even the addon shortcuts, those you can choose to make visible on the main Kodi interface. Not sure yet if that was a fluke or not, I still have to reinstall and repeat that restoring... It may be due to either Kodi 15 or the Backup addon was tweaked, not sure but its great.

That brings me to another thing, I have been trying out all skins available within Kodi and I either can't make sense of them (mostly can't put addon shortcuts on the Kodi desktop or can but only five or max seven, and even that is done is such a convoluted way that puts me off thoroughly) or second fault is they can be heavy, making Kodi slower to start, switching between menus has delays... And I finally I found Confluence skin mod by the highway2015 which allows 25 shortcuts for Video and little fewer but still more than a person needs for other menus and it all works same as Confluence skin. And this makes the addon shortcut restoration by the Backup all the more important (I service 9 ATV 1200 boxes, I set one up and then 'clone' as best I can to the others).

I never had Android phone and didn't know this OS prior to buying atv1200 and I must say I don't like it. It may be ok on a phone but its 'mods' for device like this one is poor to say the least because apks are made for touch phones and atv box is not a phone! Even getting one of those apps which you can use to autostart Kodi when Android boots can generally screw things up in various ways, ditto for many other apps. In short, every experimenting with anything in Android ends before long in need to reset the box and start again. In Kodi also when I try bunch of skins and uninstall them, its footprint in Android somehow grows and grows and best is to reinstall Kodi (after trying skins and various addons to see which ones you want).

I have RaspberryPi which I never used yet and seeing that Kodi on Pi runs on OpenElec Linux started me on search if Linux might run on ATV1200 also... which brought me here. I take it RaspberryPi also boots directly to Kodi and you don't have any 'linux desktop', making it the same as this MX Linux with Kodi. I will give Android last chance with the 'official' beta firmware which unlocks 1080p on the box. Its not so much I really can't be without it but that firmware comes with almost bare Android. Also I like very much that I can use TeamViewerQS for Android to log in remotely and control the box (almost) just as if I was present physically. However it is not unattended login which just about renders it useless, even if you coach the 'user' to allow you in, it is too involved for ordinary folks, nevermind you need to bother them at all (you need to get them to press the allow button twice and also press the home button on remote to switch from TVQS app to the Android desktop...). In short, everything I try always falls short of expectation in some way, if it doesn't mess up the box in one way or another. And that's why I may be pushed to this Linux solution, which I suppose is not without its own minuses.

I have used Putty and WinSCP in past to log into Linux (I have never used Linux per se, only as something else running on it, like firewall, router, etc or here Kodi) and have only some very rudimentary know-how how to get around, typically I need to copy and paste into command line the commands that somebody else wrote and posted on the web someplace as guide for the likes of me. I wonder if Teamviewer for Linux would be useful on this MX Linux for anything?
Couple more questions. The "Version 4. Geniatech" is that just Linux or does it install some version of Kodi? As a side question, aren't the other versions just building on this Geniatech linux version?

Second, can I flash this MX Linux, the 2nd version on first post here, onto Android 4.2.2 or do I have do downgrade first to the 4.1.2 which is the orig firmware the box came with?
(2015-08-13, 12:01)van141 Wrote: [ -> ]Couple more questions. The "Version 4. Geniatech" is that just Linux or does it install some version of Kodi? As a side question, aren't the other versions just building on this Geniatech linux version?

Second, can I flash this MX Linux, the 2nd version on first post here, onto Android 4.2.2 or do I have do downgrade first to the 4.1.2 which is the orig firmware the box came with?

Question 1. Van just use Ember or my 14.2 compile. Version 4 Is an older version of Kodi/XBMC that Geniatech came out with.
Question 2. Flashing these firmware has nothing to do with the android version. It wipes the android off and replaces it with this.
Thanks AuXBoX, I am slowly skimming through this long thread, right now at page 35, was sort of decided on 'version 2 MX-Linux with Helix 14.2', in part on recommendation on this page, second it was the one I could download, 'Ember 14.2' conked out on me and I didn't bother to re-download, not yet anyway.

However I came across post #487 and now I think I will put, on some boxes anyway, that official 'Beta 1080p Android' firmware (I am setting up nine ATV1200 boxes altogether (family, friends, mostly 'lay' users), some connected to too good TV like 75" Samsung which definitely can benefit from 1080p) - I already installed that beta firmware on one box and found the Android on it is missing most of the stock apps that Geniatech normally puts on their Android which is good because that makes it more lean and mean, at least I imagine so (I found that uninstalling Android apps if can be done at all can have various undesired side effects, it is really no simple matter I found and that's why I welcome that many of the usual stock apps are missing from this beta firmware, including google play store). You probably know about Android waking up from standby due to some apps checking whatever on internet, which is a headache, and this 'limited beta' seems not to suffer from that due to it missing many apps, one of which likely was causing that.
Also I was able to 'save out' MyGica launcher and install it on this beta firmware (it had only Android launcher which I don't like) and now I am looking for an app to launch Kodi automatically upon Android start and I think it will make decent atv1200 box on which I can upgrade Kodi as new versions come up (which I understand can't do on these Linux editions).

As to these Linux 'versions', which one you guys call 'Jynx' one? The one you talk about in the ~ 20-30 pages on this thread? I don't see it on that first page. Problem is this thread has way too many pages to read, perhaps when I get to page fifty I will read about this Jynx version falling by the wayside, for all I know, maybe that's why it is not among the version on the first page, who knows... Currently I may install that MX-Linux from 'version 2' as I am very much tempted by doing away with Android. I found I don't use it anyway (nor do people I service boxes for, unless maybe Netflix on it but that one is also inside Kodi) and when I try, the apps on it have been made for touch phone devices and many apps can't be fully controlled by remote, need mouse connected (the mouse on remote is really for emergencies only), and even then they often follow some android logic which I don't get.

On side note, regarding administering these Linux versions, why do people universally advocate Putty when WinSCP is much handier, you can edit files directly on Linux in interface familiar to PC users, the command line interface when you ssh into Linux with Putty is much harder, I myself use Putty only when it is really called for, when you got to use command line commands.

BTW I realize I am too verbose but that's partly to clear up things in my head by writing it all out. Perhaps some people coming here may benefit from it too.
Just install EmbER or AuxBox's 14.2. These do 1080p and are much faster than Android.

Once you've got one box set up as you like you can just copy the .kodi folder to the other boxes to replicate the setup.

I use PuTTY because I am familiar with Linux shell commands.
Jynx has made firmware for his Android boxes which are very similar to the geniatech boxes but now theres only 2 versions to consider, ember and my compile of 14.2.
As for Putty or WinSCP, it doesn't really matter cause there’s not much you can actually edit besides a Kodi and few settings on certain things. Its pretty much a read only operating system that cant be edited once flashed.
Has anyone else run into unicode font problems with the default ember skin? My chinese filenames are not showing up correctly because the default ember skin won't let me select the arial font which supports unicode. Normally that is easy to fix in the font.xml file to add arial.ttf...the problem is that the main ember/kodi partition is mounted read-only and every time i try to remount rw, the system is unable to remount rw because the partition is "write protected." Does anyone know how someone can write or make changes to the main ember partition? I am also unable to install the default confluence skin (it doesn't show up in the main kodi repos).
(2015-08-15, 18:15)Robikonobi Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone else run into unicode font problems with the default ember skin? ... I am also unable to install the default confluence skin (it doesn't show up in the main kodi repos).

Ember is not the 'default' skin for Kodi, you use the term default as in unaltered Ember. And because the Confluence is default skin in Kodi, it doesn't show up in Kodi repository since it is already installed (and being default skin it can't be uninstalled either) - go to Settings, Appearance and there you see your current skin listed, click on it and you will find there is Confluence there, just click to activate it. Skins that are installed don't show in 'Get more skins'... Nod
========================
Quote:"AuXBoX: now theres only 2 versions to consider, ember and my compile of 14.2"
Quote:bobones: Just install EmbER or AuxBox's 14.2. These do 1080p and are much faster than Android.

OK you got me sold on it, I understand the 'AuxBox's 14.2' is the "Version 2. ... Helix 14.2 Compiled 14-04-15" from the first page here... right?

bobones I like the thing you mention about replication of configured Kodi. Also found I can't use Putty or WinSCP to get into Android firmware because the SSHDroid doesn't work (third party app needed for Android), again as with many apps, it might work on Android phone but not on Android box like this one. The interface of the app is messed up, can't start the server, even when using mouse to control it, never mind its add supported... I guess Linux Kodi editions have the SSH server (or what its called) present by default and you don't have to install any such helper program?
The only and also easy way to connect into Android box I found is the TeamviewerQS - gives full remote access to Android desktop (or Kodi as well) and launching File exchange does what WinSCP would do, at least in essence (like you have to edit config files on PC, not directly on the box). If TV-QS for Android didn't have such elaborate initial permissions to get access, it would be great app, but as it is.... Confused I am very much disappointed with Android apps generally, in fact the more I play with Android, the more I see what a POS OS it is. Sad and that's why you finally persuaded me to try out the Linux way. One downfall though might be if there are issues with Linux install running 24/7, that is ON for weeks and months, as I have read here that some people have the box freezing up if they leave it running overnight.

Do any of you running Linux tried TViewer and if so, how do you install it on this distribution like the 'AuxBox's 14.2'? Is some of the info given on the official page here relevant?
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/363-H...ution.aspx
Besides tech use such as retrieving files to and fro between Linux and desktop PC it also provides nice remote control of Kodi from you desktop (or whatever you use TV client on).
(2015-08-17, 11:58)van141 Wrote: [ -> ]OK you got me sold on it, I understand the 'AuxBox's 14.2' is the "Version 2. ... Helix 14.2 Compiled 14-04-15" from the first page here... right?
Correct.

(2015-08-17, 11:58)van141 Wrote: [ -> ]Do any of you running Linux tried TViewer and if so, how do you install it on this distribution like the 'AuxBox's 14.2'?
You don't. This is not a full implementation of Linux, it's just enough to support Kodi.
(2015-08-17, 13:52)Grand Total Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-17, 11:58)van141 Wrote: [ -> ]Do any of you running Linux tried TViewer and if so, how do you install it on this distribution like the 'AuxBox's 14.2'?
You don't. This is not a full implementation of Linux, it's just enough to support Kodi.

That's correct. Stick with PuTTY and WinSCP (or try cygwin if you want to get adventurous). By the way, the login is root/letmein.
(2015-08-11, 19:49)retsibsi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-11, 17:16)p_turner_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I have now tried the revert to android on the Ember site and still the same..... guess I'm stuck with what I have. I hope this doesn't happen on my other boxes otherwise I have 3 atv1200s all with Ember 1.00.

Thanks anyway all Smile

No, you can revert back to android but you'll have to use the pin shorting method I'm afraid. I also found that the revert files for Ember didn't work and had to go the long long route... it took several attempts but the boxes can be reverted to android (I used the instructions and files I found on the forum at http://www.mygicasupport.com/ and then brought it up to the latest version of android)
(Since then I installed Ember 2.0.2 and it works fine)

Thanks.... I will give that a go!