Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
moontan77 Wrote:know its kind of off topic, but what do people think is missing from tvheadend?
Pausing Live TV is by far my Number 1 option that I miss.
martdj Wrote:Pausing Live TV is by far my Number 1 option that I miss.
I got some ideas about that. Depending on how much time I have I'll discuss those with andoma this week.
dushmaniac Wrote:it's not installed apparently. try this:
stop xbmc
Code:
sudo apt-get remove -y xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-skin-confluence
sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y xbmc
start xbmc. version should read "XBMC 10.0-beta3 rDharma+pvr~odk9" after that
Thanks,

that did the trick.
any specific use cases you want to have tested?
regards,
Ruud.
dushmaniac Wrote:I got some ideas about that. Depending on how much time I have I'll discuss those with andoma this week.

Hopefully he will do something with it. Andoma's dev efforts seem to be focussed mainly on Showtime these days and not on TV Headend regretfully.
Ruud Wrote:Thanks,

that did the trick.
any specific use cases you want to have tested?
regards,
Ruud.
no specific use cases to test at the moment (for me that is), but if you experience any problems with the PVR specific part that is not reported yet, I'm interested.

martdj Wrote:Hopefully he will do something with it. Andoma's dev efforts seem to be focussed mainly on Showtime these days and not on TV Headend regretfully.
I've been looking to how other software do the timeshift trick last week end (in general, not in detail yet). Personally I like the way myth solved this (timeshift is just an ordinary recording there), but there are other ways too. The "myth way" has the fewest disadvantages as far as I can see now.

edit:
didn't read your post properly, since you're saying "Hopefully he will do something with it". I was only thinking about consulting andoma on a few points. I intend to do the implementation myself.
dushmaniac Wrote:edit:
didn't read your post properly, since you're saying "Hopefully he will do something with it". I was only thinking about consulting andoma on a few points. I intend to do the implementation myself.

That would be great. I hope you get to it. It's the main missing link in a perfect replacement for a separate PVR (like a humax 5050c).
Think it will be a while before xbmc can replace a normal pvr, in my case anyways. Live sport etc is hard to watch and doesn't look natural (also get random sound dropouts watching tv with my 3 nvidia ion pc's). Don't know if this is being worked on or not.

I posted before about the live tv, and another poster posted this

"Required for this to work is deinterlacers that doubles the frame rate (i.e. frame rate == field rate). I don't know the current state of deinterlacers though."

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=462...tcount=341
BBC HD and BBC 1 HD (testing - 10.847V 22.0 5/6 under banner 6941) no longer use vdpau, both are on 28e.

BBC HD used to work fine when gujs had his hack for forcing the channels to use vdpau but since tvheadend was updated to send the aspect ratio or whatever it is, bbc hd no longer uses vdpau.

This is what comes up on the web interface when i try to record bbc 1 hd, so you can see it has 0x0 for resolution.

Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: BBC 1 HD- Bargain Hunt .2010-10-25 from adapter: "STB0899 Multistandard", network: "ASTRA", mux: "ASTRA: 10,848,000 kHz Vertical (No satconf)", provider: "BSkyB", service: "6941"
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: # type lang resolution samplerate channels
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: 1 H264 0 x 0
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: 2 MPEG2AUDIO NAR 96000 0
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: 4 TELETEXT
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: 5 DVBSUB eng
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: 6 AC3 eng 48000 5.1
Oct 25 12:54:21 dvr: 3 TEXTSUB eng

VLC Player plays the recording fine and says the resolution is 1440x1080. Xbmc also plays the recording.

opened ticket regarding bbc hd

http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/ticket/311
dushmaniac Wrote:I've been looking to how other software do the timeshift trick last week end (in general, not in detail yet). Personally I like the way myth solved this (timeshift is just an ordinary recording there), but there are other ways too. The "myth way" has the fewest disadvantages as far as I can see now.

Before XBMC I was a long time user of MediaPortal. Timeshifting was always a point of discussion (and error): should channel switching be taken into the timeshift buffer (or should the buffer be emptied when channel switching), or while time shifting you decide that you want to record the program will the recording start where you are when pressing the record button or should the timeshift buffer (the part that you already viewed) also be 'added' to the recording?

What about 'place shifting': pausing a broadcast in room 1 and continue viewing it in room 2?

My use case was that I didn't use time shifting via the tv functionality but recorded a program and while recording viewed it via 'movies'. this is also possible with XBMC with a big but and that is performance. I know that over at the MP forum there were some discussions in the early days and they resulted in .ts format as this format is able of both writing and reading. using it this way with xbmc is way to slow (e.g. when skipping commercials). That is in a multiseat setup (separate TV server).

A general usability option is that when deleting a recorded program, all associated files should also be removed: e.g. edl or txt files holding the commercial skipping information). Now I do a periodic cleanup of all these files: e.g. removing testfile.mkv should also remove testfile.edl

regards,
Ruud.
moontan77 Wrote:BBC HD and BBC 1 HD (testing - 10.847V 22.0 5/6 under banner 6941) no longer use vdpau, both are on 28e.

BBC HD used to work fine when gujs had his hack for forcing the channels to use vdpau but since tvheadend was updated to send the aspect ratio or whatever it is, bbc hd no longer uses vdpau.
Gujs didn't force or hack anything. The addon just wasn't reporting the size it got from the server, now it is.

Do you have this problem when playing LiveTV or when playing a recording?

Ruud Wrote:<cut text>
Those are amongst the things I'd like to discuss before starting implementing anything indeed, although I didn't think about that "place shift" yet.
dushmaniac Wrote:Gujs didn't force or hack anything. The addon just wasn't reporting the size it got from the server, now it is.

I thought at one stage he had an option for forcing vdpau (months ago).

Livetv is the problem as vdpau is not used, as xbmc must think the resolution is 0x0. Recordings are fine
moontan77 Wrote:I thought at one stage he had an option for forcing vdpau (months ago).

Livetv is the problem as vdpau is not used, as xbmc must think the resolution is 0x0. Recordings are fine
ok could be, but I didn't see it anywhere. if you can tell me what the hack/fix was, I'll look into it.

as far as I can see, the only patch that has something to do with sizes is on http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/9...size.patch that patch is incorporated in the version on my ppa.

now that I'm writing this, I just thought of this: what version/build are you using? because if you're building from svn, vdpau will be broken. in that case you can manually apply the patches from trac, use these sources from github http://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc , or you can use the binaries and/or source from the ppa in my signature.
I'm using the latest build of xbmc on gujs's site which is about 3/4 weeks old. Vdpau is working fine for most channels, its just these bbc hd channels which are a problem and it looks like its just the tvheadend side of things which is the problem. I attached a muxdump with my ticket so hopefully andoma gets to look at it.
that patch should be in his build too, so it's likely to be an error on the tvheadend side indeed.
dushmaniac:

It looks like your maintaining changes for both xbmc and tvheadend ? Are you syncing your changes to latest trunk for both ? When you do think they will me merged into the trunk ?

I just built both xbmc and tvheadend off the trunk and wanted to know what exactly will I get if I use your patches ? Do you have patches to apply on the trunk ?

The only change I added is the following for NTSC support: http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/wiki/tvheadend_NTSC