Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just tossing this out, but perhaps the Bios update changed the way it displays video, did you try it on other TVs, or perhaps an actual PC Monitor?

If so, and its truly bricked, sorry to hear that. I'm sure you can still return it/contact intel for a warranty swap?
(2014-02-07, 17:52)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]I just got home and the first thing I did with my Baytrail was update the Visual Bios.

BIG Mistake. The BIOS screen will not come up after updating and I am left with a brick.
I hate my dn2820fyk NUC I wish I never spent money on it.
Intel got me good on this one.

BEWARE

I had alignment issues with the video on EVERY tv I hooked it up on also.

STAY AWAY.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034524.htm
(2014-02-07, 17:55)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-07, 17:52)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]I just got home and the first thing I did with my Baytrail was update the Visual Bios.

BIG Mistake. The BIOS screen will not come up after updating and I am left with a brick.

BEWARE

STAY AWAY.

The post screen is gone. It still boots into windows. PIECE OF SHIT COMPUTER.
(2014-02-07, 18:36)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-07, 17:55)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]

BEWARE

STAY AWAY.

The post screen is gone. It still boots into windows. PIECE OF SHIT COMPUTER.

It happened with my Intel D510MO server when I swapped the monitor. Now I can't see the post screen, but the problem is that the monitor doesn't refresh the image quickly enough. It also happened to my ION HTPC build after swapping the AV with a HDMI capable one, which is not refreshing the image quickly enough too.

Did you try pressing F2 just after turning it on (or whatever the key is, to access the BIOS)?

Kind regards.
When I enter the BIOS the Visual BIOS is blank.
I am one step away from a RMA with Intel support.

The upgrade corrupted my POST and Visual bios outputs. I am also having issues with my HDMI aligning on 4 different televisions.

I cannot recommend Intel dn2820fyk for media center.
(2014-02-07, 20:24)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]When I enter the BIOS the Visual BIOS is blank.

The upgrade corrupted my POST and Visual bios outputs. I am also having issues with my HDMI aligning on 4 different televisions.

just becouse something is gone wrong once?
if you flat a tire on your car you stop recommending the whole car brand?
You might have to move a jumper on the board to see the post screen. Intel do that to speed up boot. Had it on the Celeron NUC.
(2014-02-07, 20:24)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]When I enter the BIOS the Visual BIOS is blank.

I'm sorry you had bad luck with your device, but so far I haven't seen many people complaining about it. I've received mine yesterday, and since I have updated the BIOS, installed Linux Mint Petra, XBMC, even Portal on Steam, and haven't had any problems. I've played with it for hours.
Next I'm gonna try Android x86 for sheer fun.
(2014-02-07, 21:45)pjtpjt Wrote: [ -> ]...
Next I'm gonna try Android x86 for sheer fun.

Let me know how that works out. I am interested in that myself, but my NUC hasn't arrived yet.
(2014-01-28, 17:06)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]"A real shame this doesn't have mSATA. There's mini-PCI express but according to the specs it does not support mSATA. I think I will wait until they release one with both mSATA and 2.5"

The design of this NUC model is all about driving the overall cost down. Having both SATA and mSATA support would raise the price. That's also the reason you get only one HDMI port and no DisplayPort. This design is the low-cost, entry level, HTPC and/or workstation model.

That being said, my ideal usage model for an HTPC is a NUC with both mSATA and internal SATA support. That way I can run my OS on the mSATA and have a large, cheap platter SATA drive for media and recorded TV storage. For that you'll want the i3 board in the tall case (releasing very soon). It gives you the best of both worlds.

Jason

(2014-02-06, 14:06)embrion Wrote: [ -> ]i3 is Haswell, not Bay Trail/Silvermont so answer is probably: never (unless Intel decides to play with the naming again). For i3, Haswell based NUC see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC (D34010WYK and D34010WYKH)

This is what confused me. Hasnt haswell i3 with tall case been released for a while now.. what one is he speaking of?
(2014-02-07, 22:45)ThaDraGun Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-28, 17:06)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]"A real shame this doesn't have mSATA. There's mini-PCI express but according to the specs it does not support mSATA. I think I will wait until they release one with both mSATA and 2.5"

The design of this NUC model is all about driving the overall cost down. Having both SATA and mSATA support would raise the price. That's also the reason you get only one HDMI port and no DisplayPort. This design is the low-cost, entry level, HTPC and/or workstation model.

That being said, my ideal usage model for an HTPC is a NUC with both mSATA and internal SATA support. That way I can run my OS on the mSATA and have a large, cheap platter SATA drive for media and recorded TV storage. For that you'll want the i3 board in the tall case (releasing very soon). It gives you the best of both worlds.

Jason

(2014-02-06, 14:06)embrion Wrote: [ -> ]i3 is Haswell, not Bay Trail/Silvermont so answer is probably: never (unless Intel decides to play with the naming again). For i3, Haswell based NUC see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC (D34010WYK and D34010WYKH)

This is what confused me. Hasnt haswell i3 with tall case been released for a while now.. what one is he speaking of?
No, D34010WYKH (i3 Haswell in tall case) has not released yet. It's coming out late february: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-...B00HOJAVDG

BTW, anyone know if there's plans for the baytrail celeron NUC in the short case?
Hi all,
Very interested in getting one of these little boxes as an HTPC. In the UK though they are rare than hens teeth, does anyone know where to get one or when they will be available again?

Many thanks,
RLTW
(2014-02-07, 23:20)yuyak Wrote: [ -> ]No, D34010WYKH (i3 Haswell in tall case) has not released yet. It's coming out late february: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-...B00HOJAVDG

In the netherlands you can already order the taller case i3. It's even cheaper then the normal one.
Any suggestions or for using S/PDIF with the NUC? What kind of USB sound card to go with... I'm looking at Asus and Creative.
Hey all.. I need your help.. and I know a ton of us have a subscription to this thread.. I'm new to XMBC and openelec, honestly.. though a linux native.

I'm trying to figure out how to program XBMC with a random IR remote that I have lying about for this NUC.. the NUC has the IR sensor on the front. I've tried the following commands to try to "read" IR sent to it:

irw
mode2 -d /dev/lirc0
irw /var/run/lirc/lircd

lirc modules appear to be loaded..

OpenELEC-Media:~ # lsmod | grep lirc
ir_lirc_codec 3589 0
lirc_dev 7563 1 ir_lirc_codec
rc_core 10748 12 lirc_dev,ir_lirc_codec,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,ir_sony_decoder,ir_mce_kbd_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_sanyo_decoder,ite_cir,rc_rc6_mce

But I none of the above commands seem to be receiving any IR when I point a IR remote at the sensor on the front of the NUC and hit buttons..

What am I doing wrong or missing?

Thank you in advance!