Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I applied the FY0025.BIO tonight.. it does seem to fix an issue with my NUC powering itself back on after I tell XBMC to shutdown... I did notice that Wake On LAN works, too.. but I never tried that with earlier versions..

I do have a problem getting to the F2 Visual Bios during the POST though while the NUC is plugged in to my Marantz receiver and onward up to my projector.. Anytime I power it on and hit F2 (on a wired USB keyboard, mind you), it will hang at the "Entering Setup..." text.. for ever.. perhaps the video mode isn't supported by my Marantz.. I'd really like to see Intel fix this; as it is a pain to either drag a monitor into my media room, or disconnect the NUC and take it into my office to work on it with a monitor..

Another issu I'm dealing with now is a VERY unstable OpenELEC on the new and old BIOS.. last night I jumped to OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140209021212-r17682-g77f82ca.tar.. almost immediately I noticed it hanging on me.. sometimes it unfreezes after a couple of minutes.. but eventually it just hangs fully.. network drops.. doesn't respond to key presses.. I have to hold down the power button.. I had better luck with the build before it.. so I'll likely go back to that for now.. but man.. what a difference a build makes.. Is anyone else having issues with that build? I'm hoping it isn't something in my environment that is causing it.. I am running off of a USB stick at this time..

Lastly, I didn't see anything obvious with regards to IR power on setting.. I fired off some IR at it while it powered off (finally), and nothing kicked it back on.. I even power cycled my Marantz receiver, and it the NUC didn't budge.. then I plugged in the MAC address into the XBMCRemote iPad app, and clicked on Wake on LAN.. and presto, it fired up.. that's nice.. but I need my IR remote to do the deed, preferably!

Good night everyone.. and good luck with the new toy!
Anyone running 2GB or 4GB DDR3 1.35V 1600 MHz memory? If so, can you look in your Bios under the main and see if the bios is reporting the correct memory MHz?

Tonight when I updated the bios to version 025, I saw the memory as reading 2GB 1066 MHz and thought that was odd. The label on the memory is for PC-12800 (which is 1600 MHz). A 1066 MHz would be PC-8500. I didn't notice what it was before the bios update and I'm not saying the update caused the wrong memory info to display, but I wanted to see what you all are seeing in your bios. Before and after you update the bios.

Of course I plan on contacting first Intel to see if the bios is incorrectly displaying/using the wrong memory info. Just trying to get a consensus that it's reporting correct/incorrect. If intel says they are good, then I'm going after the company I bought the memory from.
Edit: I was able to use the memory stick in a laptop that took DDR3 and it was reporting the memory 2GB @ 1600 MHz. So it looks like the Bios is reporting the incorrect memory info, now wondering is the memory is being downgraded or if it's just a display issue. Going to post on intel board but would still like to see what you all are getting, at least with the new bios version 025
I don't have my NUC yet but read that it downclocks it to 1066. So it would have been like that before your upgrade as well.
(2014-02-12, 07:53)unknown_owner Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone running 2GB or 4GB DDR3 1.35V 1600 MHz memory? If so, can you look in your Bios under the main and see if the bios is reporting the correct memory MHz?

Tonight when I updated the bios to version 025, I saw the memory as reading 2GB 1066 MHz and thought that was odd. The label on the memory is for PC-12800 (which is 1600 MHz). A 1066 MHz would be PC-8500. I didn't notice what it was before the bios update and I'm not saying the update caused the wrong memory info to display, but I wanted to see what you all are seeing in your bios. Before and after you update the bios.

Of course I plan on contacting first Intel to see if the bios is incorrectly displaying/using the wrong memory info. Just trying to get a consensus that it's reporting correct/incorrect. If intel says they are good, then I'm going after the company I bought the memory from.

Edit: I was able to use the memory stick in a laptop that took DDR3 and it was reporting the memory 2GB @ 1600 MHz. So it looks like the Bios is reporting the incorrect memory info, now wondering is the memory is being downgraded or if it's just a display issue. Going to post on intel board but would still like to see what you all are getting, at least with the new bios version 025

http://ark.intel.com/products/79052/Inte...o-2_39-GHz

That's the processor that's inside the DN2820FYK NUC. Under the memory specifications, it lists:

Quote:Memory Types DDR3L-1066

I would take that to mean that the max front side bus speed is 1066 Mhz. This means that no matter what higher speeds your RAM is capable of, it will be downclocked to 1066 Mhz. This is not a "mistake" or "wrong information" being displayed, it's just a hardware limitation of the CPU and motherboard.

More importantly, I would urge you not to worry about it. In real world situations, you'll likely never notice the difference between 1066 and 1333 or 1600. Those numbers are more useful for synthetic benchmarks, and probably don't make much difference in computers as slow as the Baytrail NUC. It's definitely not even worth the time spent to contact Intel or the memory manufacturer.
(2014-02-12, 08:18)two515ty Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-12, 07:53)unknown_owner Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone running 2GB or 4GB DDR3 1.35V 1600 MHz memory? If so, can you look in your Bios under the main and see if the bios is reporting the correct memory MHz?

http://ark.intel.com/products/79052/Inte...o-2_39-GHz

That's the processor that's inside the DN2820FYK NUC. Under the memory specifications, it lists:

Quote:Memory Types DDR3L-1066

I would take that to mean that the max front side bus speed is 1066 Mhz. This means that no matter what higher speeds your RAM is capable of, it will be downclocked to 1066 Mhz. This is not a "mistake" or "wrong information" being displayed, it's just a hardware limitation of the CPU and motherboard.

More importantly, I would urge you not to worry about it. In real world situations, you'll likely never notice the difference between 1066 and 1333 or 1600. Those numbers are more useful for synthetic benchmarks, and probably don't make much difference in computers as slow as the Baytrail NUC. It's definitely not even worth the time spent to contact Intel or the memory manufacturer.

My bad, guess I crossed the 6 and 0 when I was initially reading the specs. That's what happens when you read stuff late at night when you should be taking your ass to bed.
(2014-02-12, 08:31)unknown_owner Wrote: [ -> ]My bad, guess I crossed the 6 and 0 when I was initially reading the specs. That's what happens when you read stuff late at night when you should be taking your ass to bed.

Co-sign. I've had many confusing, daffy moments from staying up late at night for no reason lol.
Just proves ur human ;-)
(2014-02-12, 07:13)kyoo Wrote: [ -> ]I do have a problem getting to the F2 Visual Bios during the POST though while the NUC is plugged in to my Marantz receiver and onward up to my projector.. Anytime I power it on and hit F2 (on a wired USB keyboard, mind you), it will hang at the "Entering Setup..." text.. for ever.. perhaps the video mode isn't supported by my Marantz.. I'd really like to see Intel fix this; as it is a pain to either drag a monitor into my media room, or disconnect the NUC and take it into my office to work on it with a monitor..

I have another HDMI cable attached directly to TV, so if I have urge to get into BIOS (which is rearely) I switch the HDMI cable on NUC from the one attached to Yamaha AVR to one attached directly to TV.
I will use this sollution until Intel fixes F2 problems.
I still think that if BIOS doesnt detect 1024x768 capable "monitor" behind it should failsafe to force this resolution instead of freezeng up... but I guess we will need to wait for Intel to fix that.
(2014-02-11, 23:20)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]The question is: how can one customize the "power on" code, which is supposed to be controlled in BIOS?

I believe that "power on" code is hardcoded in BIOS to accept MCE power on IR sequence. After OS is loaded the IR can accept any IR sequence... it is then just up to your bindings of IR sequences to appropriate actions.

Somewhere here I have read that some of the TV sets also fires up with MCE power on IR sequence... I would guess that this is a TV problem (manufacturer of TV set did it wrong), since the power on sequence for MCE should not be used by TV to power on.
I think that RC6 and first MS MCE remotes were made my Philips so it might have something to do with Philips TV remote powering up MCE compatible device.
(2014-02-11, 23:20)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]The question is: how can one customize the "power on" code, which is supposed to be controlled in BIOS?

Though not applicable to those without Harmony remotes, my potential fix for this will be to "teach" my Harmony 200 the power toggle command from my HP MCE remote. If the power on signals are different, then hopefully it will allow me to turn on my NUC without power toggling my TV at the same time. I will report back when I test it. If anyone else sees this before I report back, try it and let us know if it works.
The new 0025 BIOS is good so far, it fixed for me the switch on after shutdown bug, also I can use Sleep again on the NUC, since it turns the HDMI back on. No need for taping the cable, it seems.

I'm using my Samsung TV/Monitor for setting up or experimenting with the device, and I've noticed that if I have my desktop computer on screen, and boot up the NUC, then it goes into a pre-bios menu that says there's no capable screen attached. Pressing ESC will continue booting.

While it would be nice for it to show BIOS on every TV, it's still a computer that sometimes needs a computer monitor for display.

-----------------------------------

(2014-02-12, 01:47)davidh2k Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-11, 17:08)pjtpjt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-11, 15:59)davidh2k Wrote: [ -> ]Why all of you want to use Windows 7 instead of Windows 8? I mean, Windows 8(.1) is much faster bootwise etc. so why go with Windows 7?

Greetings
David

I'm too skipping 8(.1), roll on Windows 9!
I've been using 7 since its first public beta, and I had the same enthusiasm when the first 8 beta came out, but I simply couldn't use it, without it getting really on my nerves. It never got past VirtualBox. I've been using all kinds of Windowses since the dawn of time, also every Mac OS since Mac OS 6, OS2, original Unix, Solaris, Linuxes from Slackware to Debian to Ubuntu to now Mint, and there were only two I couldn't cope with: Vista and 8. And since I volunteered to use Vista at work, unfortunately I had to. I won't make the same mistake with 8(.1).

Well, I was scared like you guys in the first place. However I bought it via the update method for 30 bucks and installed it sometimes later. I did not regret yet. 8.1 I regret more ^^

Greetings
David

I wouldn't consider myself as scared of Windows 8, but rather as repulsed. I'm sure the above list of all the operating systems I've used kinda proves, I'm not prone to being scared if computers are considered (and I haven't even added the 8 bit computers I've used so far starting with a ZX81).
Also I'm not waiting for the Windows 7 drivers for my NUC, I'm using Linux Mint.

What actually happened was that it was easier to me to learn to use a new Linux distro, Mint, than to accept that to shut down Windoes 8 you have to drag you mouse to the extreme right, on the black popup ribbon thingy you select settings, and on settings you press the Power icon thingy then choose shut down. As opposed to Start/Shut Down on 7 or, Start/Turn Of.../Shut Down on XP and the most available Linuxes today. There are no stability and speed benefits that can compensate for this UI monster Dr. Frankenstein would be proud of. And don't get me started on Metro.
Does the new BIOS fix the "No hdmi audio if legacy boot option is on" problem?
(2014-02-12, 11:19)nooryani84 Wrote: [ -> ]You do have the Win+X menu http://www.askvg.com/how-to-shutdown-res...in-x-menu/

Appreciated, but this wasn't the only reason to skip it, nor was the deal breaker, just an example how unusable the new UI concept is.
Also the mere fact that the "Win+X" Menu is a hidden menu just proves my point. What was the purpose of hiding the power functions? Never sleep or shut down your machine? Not that green now is it?