Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Archive] Arctic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-01-15, 02:02)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]Two Questions for Everyone
1. If I took GoogleRocks! suggestion and moved all the icons to the right would that cause any problems for anyone??
2. Does anyone need both a favourites button and a power button in the main menu?

1. Would need to see and use the change to know for certain but the menu layout for Arctic has been consistent since your mod of the Xperience 1080 skin and I've always been a fan of it.
(2014-01-15, 07:08)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick note for the sake of using the same terminology:
-- Main menu categories are the items in the dark bar -> e.g. Live TV, Movies, Tv Shows, Music, Settings Icon etc.
-- Submenu items are the customisable grey tiles for each category -> e.g. Albums, Artists, Files, Playlists etc. for the Music Category
-- Widgets are the things in the panel -> e.g. In-Progress, Weather, System Info, Recently Added etc.

The widgets only open on up with "submenu on click" enabled in skin settings. Without that you have to press up twice - once to get to the submenu then again from the submenu to get to the widget. By changing the submenu to open on down, the widget will open on up regardless of the "submenu on click setting" -- also the navigation becomes more consistent with other skins (see for example confluence or aeon nox where the submenu is down and widgets are up).

I wouldn't move the settings out from the settings submenu because otherwise it gets confusing. However, I have toyed around with a similar idea to what you are suggesting regarding having the down menu be a sort of "jump list" menu -- e.g. with weather, favourites, file manager, configure plus options to update and clean both music/video libraries. If it was like that then the power button on the menu would open up the side power menu instead (what you get when you press the power button on the remote) for those without such a remote.

The library/files changeover is in the menu where you change the viewtypes, not the context menu.

The context menu is one of the few places where skinners can't change the visible items -- I can only add things to it, not remove preexisting ones, so not possible to remove edit title unfortunately.

I like the idea of a sidebar for the power options.

for the other ideas... i guess i'm confused. if you are in the submenu, wouldn't you still have to press up twice to get to the widgets?
Once you're in the submenu --> pressing up once to get to the main menu --> up again to get to the widgets
and vice-versa...Huh

don't get me wrong. i love the idea of having down be the submenu. it does make more of a consistent flow to the navigation.
just wanna make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.
@locomot1f -- Yes you would still have to press up twice from the submenu. However, the point is that from the main menu you would no longer have to press up twice and the animation would be much smoother -- i.e. as it is now, you press up and the submenu slides up and then you press up again and the submenu slides down as the widget jumps up. With the new way this crossover of animation would never occur even if you were in the submenu. For example, the submenu is open and you decide to open the widget, so you click up which closes the submenu and focus goes to the main menu, you then click up again and the widget opens up. Alternatively, if you are already on the main menu you can just click up once to get to the widget.

@everyone -- I've made the changes on git. Power button replaces favourites and moved to the right side along with play dvd button, down opens submenu, up opens widget. Panel home stays the same. Let me know your thoughts
Power and Settings buttons need a little more separation from each other. Otherwise they look good on the right.

"New" Menu behaviour is identical to when the "Open Submenu On Click" setting was enabled, except that now the Configuration submenu is no longer available when down clicking from the first submenu. I'll miss that.
@GoogleRocks - was just thinking that myself actually, will space them out more. That's the idea - to make the navigation more consistent. However, I am going to make it so that when "open submenu on click" is enabled then the power menu is still accessible by pressing down, just thought I would get everything else sorted out before I started adding in conditional navigation.
(2014-01-16, 04:25)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]@GoogleRocks - was just thinking that myself actually, will space them out more. That's the idea - to make the navigation more consistent. However, I am going to make it so that when "open submenu on click" is enabled then the power menu is still accessible by pressing down, just thought I would get everything else sorted out before I started adding in conditional navigation.

Perfect. Are you planning on continuing to use that submenu real estate for the Power Options or re-utilize it in some other way ?

Also, Curious as to what functional difference there is between the "Update" function on the View Settings menu vs. the "Update Library" function on the Context menus?
(2014-01-16, 05:56)GoogleRocks! Wrote: [ -> ]Perfect. Are you planning on continuing to use that submenu real estate for the Power Options or re-utilize it in some other way ?

Also, Curious as to what functional difference there is between the "Update" function on the View Settings menu vs. the "Update Library" function on the Context menus?

Yeah I'm thinking about maybe making it another customisable menu so its a sort of jumplist/quicknav menu.

The Update function was added to the Viewtypes menu in preperation for Gotham (it's been removed from the context menu in Gotham)
See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1481528
Hi JM,

Im using the latest nightly and latest version from github. When downloading subtitles I cannot see the language flags.
Since i've set dutch/english in XBMC settings, I cannot determine wether a subtitle is dutch or english upon downloading.

Could you check this please?
(2014-01-16, 08:53)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]The Update function was added to the Viewtypes menu in preperation for Gotham (it's been removed from the context menu in Gotham)
See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1481528

Awesome, thanks for the link. The thread illuminated some additional thoughts I'd had. Are you at a stage where it would be safe enough for those of us willing to live on the edge, to rollover to Gotham yet? I know its' alpha, but sounds like it might be stable enough.
@julialmunkey i just saw the new 0.6.4,

i never use simple mode cuz i dont like the delay for the widgets is any chance to add a option to show always or change the delay time over settings ?
Hey

I'm seeing some weird issues with labels/language strings(?) on all views. Latest git.

Is it only me or is anyone else seeing this?

Thnx

Lukas
i dont had your problem meaby is a corrupt file

https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.arc...master.zip
@ Lukas

I'm not seeing what you're seeing either. Looks clean here.

v0.6.4 on Frodo 12.3
(2014-01-16, 17:29)FREAKJAM Wrote: [ -> ]Im using the latest nightly and latest version from github. When downloading subtitles I cannot see the language flags.
Since i've set dutch/english in XBMC settings, I cannot determine wether a subtitle is dutch or english upon downloading.
I'll be working on Gotham changes over the next couple of weeks so I'll look into it when I get a chance.

(2014-01-16, 18:04)GoogleRocks! Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome, thanks for the link. The thread illuminated some additional thoughts I'd had. Are you at a stage where it would be safe enough for those of us willing to live on the edge, to rollover to Gotham yet? I know its' alpha, but sounds like it might be stable enough.
See above. I've started running Gotham on my main htpc to pick up any bugs etc. Recently added the settings level changes to git. Pretty much the only urgent thing needing fixing is the subtitles -- everything else should be would working fine. I actually would appreciate people switching now if they want to because I could use the bug reports. Everything seems fairly stable, and there are a lot of really great improvements for Gotham performance wise etc.

(2014-01-17, 01:33)warlion Wrote: [ -> ]i never use simple mode cuz i dont like the delay for the widgets is any chance to add a option to show always or change the delay time over settings ?
Remove line 11 and 12 from Includes_Mod_Home_Simple.xml
These ones:
Code:
<visible>!Control.HasFocus(83) | [Control.HasFocus(83) + !Skin.HasSetting(HomeClicksSubmenu)]</visible>
<visible>!Container(525).OnNext + !Container(525).OnPrevious</visible>

(2014-01-17, 01:48)Lukas Wrote: [ -> ]I'm seeing some weird issues with labels/language strings(?) on all views. Latest git.
You have most likely switched to another skin recently and the strings for that skin are still loaded. Usually you can fix this by going to "Settings > Appearance > International" and changing the language to something else (give it a couple of seconds to change) then changing it back. Restarting xbmc should also fix it.
(2014-01-17, 04:26)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-17, 01:33)warlion Wrote: [ -> ]i never use simple mode cuz i dont like the delay for the widgets is any chance to add a option to show always or change the delay time over settings ?
Remove line 11 and 12 from Includes_Mod_Home_Simple.xml
These ones:
Code:
<visible>!Control.HasFocus(83) | [Control.HasFocus(83) + !Skin.HasSetting(HomeClicksSubmenu)]</visible>
<visible>!Container(525).OnNext + !Container(525).OnPrevious</visible>

I actually made a new setting to show always well actually only 200ms instead of 1000ms , but meaby a implementation for the rest to choose or had more options as well

Also I saw that you ate implementing Gotham settings the subtitle and the settings level cudos Smile I use Gotham but meaby you can implement also the manual search also
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1591278

For the flags on subtitle will be not difficult just copy the flags of confluence and paste in the same folder
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182210

Universal is improving the graphics

Frodo use gifs and Gotham png's