Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry, I added after OUTPUT line, now it works great!
Many thanks fritsch!
I don't always have a connected screen when starting Kodi, so the autostart.sh script sometimes fails.
Is there a way to detect when the display gets connected?

kodi@htpc:~$ xrandr -display :0
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
1920x1080 (0x48) 148.500MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2008 end 2052 total 2200 skew 0 clock 67.50KHz
v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125 clock 60.00Hz
You can just force the edid - search for drm_kms_helper in this forum I documented it.
(2017-01-23, 22:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]You can just force the edid - search for drm_kms_helper in this forum I documented it.

Thanks, I look into this.
A quick question - sometimes I seem to get black screen, even if I restart Kodi with the screen on. Today I got all other terminals tty2-tty6 totally black. Can this be the reason?
No idea - depends on kernel other things and logs ... good luck.
(2017-01-21, 16:02)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go: http://sprunge.us/IASE
Thanks, applied, compiled and success.

But one strange thing - with your patch for kernel 4.4 to have correct colors with no banding I had to choose Full range. Now with this patch and newer driver in kernel 4.9 I had to switch to limited range. But once I've done it IMHO final result is better than it was with kernel 4.4. No banding at all (in 4.4 it was sometimes visible). Thanks :-)
The edid stuff is working nicely. And I learned another useful thing today. Thank you!
Latest LibreELEC 8.0 builds (eg. 7.95.1) include a script called "getedid" which should simplify the generation of edid files for Intel and Nvidia users.

Run "getedid create" to install a static version of your current edid.

Run it after you have connected to your TV or amplifier and it will place a copy of the edid in the /flash partition so that you no longer need your TV/Amp to be on before LibreELEC is started).
Fritsch, can you post a ready built 4.9 (4.9.5 as of now) ubuntu kernel with your passthrough patch applied?
No.
First, I want to say Thank You to fritsch for all of the hard work!

Please give me a recommendation.

I have a Braswell based Beebox N3000. Which fritsch openelec version should I install for stable KODI. I would like the most stable version that is capable of 4k playback.

Thanks again!
N3000 can only do hevc 8 bit, you know? You can try Milhouse's v18 testbuilds and see how it goes.
(2017-01-24, 15:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]No.
Not that is has anything to do with this thread, but kernel 4.9.5 worked great in 14.04. First kernel with none of the small gfx glitches/corruption for haswell (at least for Celeron 2955u and i3-4130)
Was using 4.4.1 before. I think I tried kernel 4.8.x or (maybe it was 4.6 or 4.7), and I got a kernel panic, hence I stayed on 4.4.1 for quite a bit.
What was your issue again with self-builing? If you search for make-kpkg in this forum, you see that it is just 5 commands to get a kernel?
Uploaded 4.9.6 as I built it anyways.