Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: pvr.mythtv add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-01-28, 09:38)janbar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-28, 06:45)StupendousMan Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I was wondering if there is any solution getting the shows recorded by mythtv "marked as watched" in kodi when one has completed watching the recording. There are some earlier posts that mention running mythtv 0.28 and they are getting it to work. Is there a setting I am just overlooking or is it a version thing?

I am running Kodi 14.0 on a Ubuntu 14.04 system that also runs Mythtv 0.27.3. I am on version 1.11.3 of the Mythtv PVR client.

It's not urgent but I do miss that feature.
Thanks for the great add-on

"marked as watched" is supported since MythTV backend 0.28 only.

I'm having the same problem with Helix -- doesn't want to mark any of the PVR content as completely watched (although it will mark it as partially watched). This works fine on Gotham with the exact same MythTV backend: 0.27 (Mythbuntu).
It's due to the way that the plugin communicates with the backend. It changed to use the new "services api" with helix. Unfortunately the api to mark shows as watched was only implemented in 0.28. You either have to use Gotham, or upgrade your backend to 0.28 (which is still in beta)
(2015-02-17, 21:03)agentgonzo Wrote: [ -> ]It's due to the way that the plugin communicates with the backend. It changed to use the new "services api" with helix. Unfortunately the api to mark shows as watched was only implemented in 0.28. You either have to use Gotham, or upgrade your backend to 0.28 (which is still in beta)

Just a few words of caution about mythtv 0.28 :

Once upgraded you cannot go back to 0.27.

0.28 is in active development, so it will break from time to time, not often but it does happen, it gets fixed quickly usually in 24 hours.

Sometimes changes to 0.28 require changes (e.g. services api) to the mythtv pvr addon, this takes time.

If you want a stable system for everyday use stay with 0.27.

I have been running 0.28 for many months, but I accept that it does break from time to time.

Mike
(2015-02-17, 22:15)MikeB2013 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-17, 21:03)agentgonzo Wrote: [ -> ]It's due to the way that the plugin communicates with the backend. It changed to use the new "services api" with helix. Unfortunately the api to mark shows as watched was only implemented in 0.28. You either have to use Gotham, or upgrade your backend to 0.28 (which is still in beta)

Just a few words of caution about mythtv 0.28 :

Once upgraded you cannot go back to 0.27.

0.28 is in active development, so it will break from time to time, not often but it does happen, it gets fixed quickly usually in 24 hours.

Sometimes changes to 0.28 require changes (e.g. services api) to the mythtv pvr addon, this takes time.

If you want a stable system for everyday use stay with 0.27.

I have been running 0.28 for many months, but I accept that it does break from time to time.

Mike
Well said.
@janbar

Another change to mythtv.pvr addon is required due to :

Mythtv 0.28 changes to services api (GetSettings/GetSettingsList) in https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/...6617f5ee7f

Note protocol version has not been bumped.

Mike

Edit corrected link (forum mangled)
404 on your link.
Is there a myth pvr addon for kodi that uses the "old-style" direct SQL access to the myth server (so that we can continue using the stable 0.27 version of myth) but still use kodi, rather than using the new services API that requires 0.28 to be able to mark recordings as watched?
(2015-02-18, 11:39)agentgonzo Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a myth pvr addon for kodi that uses the "old-style" direct SQL access to the myth server (so that we can continue using the stable 0.27 version of myth) but still use kodi, rather than using the new services API that requires 0.28 to be able to mark recordings as watched?

Wondering the same thing. It's unfortunate that one has to choose between an older XBMC or a beta (and potentially unstable) MythTV in order to get recordings marked as watched.

On paper, it seems like a pretty minor issue, but it's actually quite annoying to not have that capability :-(
I don't believe the cmyth addon works in helix.
(2015-02-18, 10:20)MikeB2013 Wrote: [ -> ]@janbar

Another change to mythtv.pvr addon is required due to :

Mythtv 0.28 changes to services api (GetSettings/GetSettingsList) in https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/...6617f5ee7f

Note protocol version has not been bumped.

Mike

Edit corrected link (forum mangled)

Ironic considering MikeB2013 post above. I just broke my 4yo TV shows with the latest updates yesterday. I find the janbar plugin works best with 0.28, but these breaks sure are frustrating.
(2015-02-18, 11:39)agentgonzo Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a myth pvr addon for kodi that uses the "old-style" direct SQL access to the myth server (so that we can continue using the stable 0.27 version of myth) but still use kodi, rather than using the new services API that requires 0.28 to be able to mark recordings as watched?
There is a misunderstanding here:
You can use Kodi helix stable 5.0.0, 5.0.1 or 5.0.3 with mythTV 0.27.4. using the pvr.mythtv addon. It has worked fine throughout.
You could also use Kodi helix stable 5.0.3 with mythTV 0.28 dev (pre-alpha with no end in sight, or whatever its status is), with the same addon, until a few days ago.
You can also use XBMC gotham stable with mythTV 0.27.4 using either the pvr.mythtv addon or the pvr.cmythtv addon, if you want.

There is no lack of options. the only people who need to use nightlies are people who insist on using 0.28 dev, and updating it regularly without considering whether it breaks the KODI addon. They should expect trouble, and are getting it.

Editorially, I think Janbar has been super generous, keeping up to date with the various changes in mythTV 0.28 dev, so anyone who feels like fooling around with an unstable, ever-changing backend has been able to use the Kodi 15 nightlys, without much interruption. I feel it would be totally reasonable if he decided NOT to support mythTV 0.28 further until it goes stable or, at least, beta. What he has been doing to date seems like big headache to me and, as I said, is extremely generous of him.
(2015-02-18, 23:27)allan87 Wrote: [ -> ]
You can use Kodi helix stable 5.0.0, 5.0.1 or 5.0.3 with mythTV 0.27.4. using the pvr.mythtv addon. It has worked fine throughout.
You could also use Kodi helix stable 5.0.3 with mythTV 0.28 dev (pre-alpha with no end in sight, or whatever its status is), with the same addon, until a few days ago.
You can also use XBMC gotham stable with mythTV 0.27.4 using either the pvr.mythtv addon or the pvr.cmythtv addon, if you want.

There is no lack of options. the only people who need to use nightlies are people who insist on using 0.28 dev, and updating it regularly without considering whether it breaks the KODI addon. They should expect trouble, and are getting it.

Editorially, I think Janbar has been super generous, keeping up to date with the various changes in mythTV 0.28 dev, so anyone who feels like fooling around with an unstable, ever-changing backend has been able to use the Kodi 15 nightlys, without much interruption. I feel it would be totally reasonable if he decided NOT to support mythTV 0.28 further until it goes stable or, at least, beta. What he has been doing to date seems like big headache to me and, as I said, is extremely generous of him.

The janbar plugin works best with 0.28 so I don't see how janbar can stop keeping it up to date.

but I agree with you, his level of responsiveness to these changes is awesome
(2015-02-19, 00:17)JasonPell Wrote: [ -> ]The janbar plugin works best with 0.28 so I don't see how janbar can stop keeping it up to date.
What do you base that on? The pvr.mythtv addon is compatible with 0.27 and, in my experience, works perfectly well with it. What do you find wrong with it?

Nobody has to run mythbackend 0.28. If they do, they don't need to slavishly update it without regard for breaking the Kodi addon.
(2015-02-18, 23:27)allan87 Wrote: [ -> ]

What people are discussing is that the pvr.mythtv addon for Helix doesn't fully support a Myth 0.27 backend. It works for most stuff, but not everything (e.g. doesn't update the watched status). So your assertion stating that configuration has "worked fine throughout" may not be true.
(2015-02-19, 00:50)angeloaz Wrote: [ -> ]What people are discussing is that the pvr.mythtv addon for Helix doesn't fully support a Myth 0.27 backend. It works for most stuff, but not everything (e.g. doesn't update the watched status). So your assertion stating that configuration has "worked fine throughout" may not be true.
If that feature is genuinely important to someone, a further option is to use XBMC Gotham, which still included the cmyth addon. In fact, IIRC, cmyth was even included in Helix until the late beta stages.

It seems to me that there are many options available to have a good working frontend.