Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: pvr.mythtv add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hiya

I think I added the repo incorrectly, i typed "add-apt-repository https://launchpad.net/~jlbarriere68/+archive/ppa",
followed by "apt-get update" and "apt-get install pvr.mythtv".

It installed the plugin successfully, and I enabled it and it tested ok.

But I am now getting errors when I apt-get update, and the Mythbuntu Software Updater appears to be broken.

Can someone please confirm that I added the repo incorrectly, and talk me thourh removing and adding it correctly Huh?

Thanks

Matt
(2015-04-29, 08:00)janbar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-29, 04:36)astephon88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-29, 04:34)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]mythbuntu creates regular database backups by default.

yes, and the last backup was two days before I performed the update. I'm not complaining or anything. Just bringing it to @janbar's attention for whenever he has time to address it

I will have a look at the end of the day to fix it. After tomorrow and for 18 days, i will out for holidays Smile , so please do not update mythtv until 20 may.

awesome. thanks for the heads up, and enjoy your time off!
(2015-04-29, 13:05)mattshaw Wrote: [ -> ]Hiya

I think I added the repo incorrectly, i typed "add-apt-repository https://launchpad.net/~jlbarriere68/+archive/ppa",
followed by "apt-get update" and "apt-get install pvr.mythtv".

It installed the plugin successfully, and I enabled it and it tested ok.

But I am now getting errors when I apt-get update, and the Mythbuntu Software Updater appears to be broken.

Can someone please confirm that I added the repo incorrectly, and talk me thourh removing and adding it correctly Huh?

Thanks

Matt

the correct command is add-apt-repsitory ppa:jlbarriere68/ppa
And the correct name of package is "kodi-pvr-mythtv-helix" ( or "xbmc-pvr-mythtv" for XBMC version 13)
@janbar

Thanks for the update to mythtv protocol 86.

Working for me on Ubuntu 15 with Kodi (15.0-BETA1 Git:2015-04-30-2a092e8). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit and OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150429210242-#0429-g60ab2c0 [Build #0429] for Raspberry pi 2 with MythTV Version : v0.28-pre-2865-g70ae25d

Enjoy your holidays

Mike
(2015-04-14, 10:20)janbar Wrote: [ -> ]I pushed the git branch helix_read_timeout including the fixes. You can try it.

Has this been merged into the version in the PPA? Been running on this version I compiled from git, would be nice to switch back to the PPA version.

Thanks,
Matt
Latest beta on rpi2 crashes Kodi when you open the guide. Wonder if other people see the same behavior. In any case I will post a log tomorrow, its late now.
Leaving live tv paused overnight causes kodi to freeze. I have to kill it from command line severely effects waf and son acceptance factor too.

I am using latest pvr client mythtv 0.28-pre from mid april and kodi 14.2. is live fast forward rewind implemented by mythtv or locally by plugin? If by mythtv why would leaving it paused cause local freeze of kodi?
(2015-05-06, 12:00)JasonPell Wrote: [ -> ]Leaving live tv paused overnight causes kodi to freeze. I have to kill it from command line severely effects waf and son acceptance factor too.

I am using latest pvr client mythtv 0.28-pre from mid april and kodi 14.2. is live fast forward rewind implemented by mythtv or locally by plugin? If by mythtv why would leaving it paused cause local freeze of kodi?

Janbar (the developer) is on vacation until the 20th of May, so immediate comments from that perspective probably won't be forthcoming.

(I wish I lived in Europe and had REAL vacation, not this sorry excuse for vacation time we get in the U.S.)

If you have wife and kid acceptance issues (as do I) I would recommend running the stable version of MythTV, not the 0.28 alpha version.

I am not an expert on the overall MythTV architecture, but the way I THINK it works is that the backend simply records files to disk, and hosts them for the frontend. In the case of scheduled recordings this is simple, but in the case of live TV it gets more complicated. When you start watching, it wites a file to the livetv folder, and then the frontend streams the playback from that file. It gets complicated as th backend needs to monitor the front end to know when it stops watching and it can stop recording.

So while skipping back and forward in the video file is a front end activity, when it does so it is reading from the hosted video file on the backend, with all the complications of timing that get added when accessing something remotely via the network.

In the pausing overnight scenario, I would imagine the backend gets confused regarding frontend activity as it has remained dormant for so long.

My first recommendation here would be to simply not do it. If you know you are coming back to it tomorrow, click the record button and stop watching instead.

Other than that, I would wonder about how large your backend storage directories are. Whenever you watch live tv, it is recording that file to the storage directory. I'm assuming that when you pause the front end, the back end just keeps on recording on the current channel. Could you be filling the storage directory, prompting MythTV to autoexpire old content, and could that old content be the live TV you are paused in?

Also, make sure your frontend is wired gigabit ethernet to the backend Anything that reduces latencies will help. I wouldn't use Wifi under any circumstances.

That is all that I can think of. If you post your logs when it happens, someone else might be able to read through them and help.

But as I mentioned up top, I don't understand why anyone would be running an alpha version of the backend, in a "production" environment where wife and kids have expectations. Especially when even the "stable" .27.4 release, isn't the paragon of stability...

.28 should only be for people who are actively bug testing, and don't care about crashes, freezes and other glitches IMHO.
(2015-05-06, 10:09)Bonzi Wrote: [ -> ]Latest beta on rpi2 crashes Kodi when you open the guide. Wonder if other people see the same behavior. In any case I will post a log tomorrow, its late now.

I'm not having that issue.... Pi2 OpenElec 5.0.8 / MythTV PVR 1.12.18 / MythTV 0.27.4 I'm also using the same setup on a CUBox-i...

Still getting random live TV hangs, but it is happening less than it use to.. But that is another issue...
(2015-05-06, 18:15)mattlach Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-06, 12:00)JasonPell Wrote: [ -> ]Leaving live tv paused overnight causes kodi to freeze. I have to kill it from command line severely effects waf and son acceptance factor too.

Janbar (the developer) is on vacation until the 20th of May, so immediate comments from that perspective probably won't be forthcoming.

(I wish I lived in Europe and had REAL vacation, not this sorry excuse for vacation time we get in the U.S.)

If you have wife and kid acceptance issues (as do I) I would recommend running the stable version of MythTV, not the 0.28 alpha version.

I am not an expert on the overall MythTV architecture, but the way I THINK it works is that the backend simply records files to disk, and hosts them for the frontend. In the case of scheduled recordings this is simple, but in the case of live TV it gets more complicated. When you start watching, it wites a file to the livetv folder, and then the frontend streams the playback from that file. It gets complicated as th backend needs to monitor the front end to know when it stops watching and it can stop recording.

So while skipping back and forward in the video file is a front end activity, when it does so it is reading from the hosted video file on the backend, with all the complications of timing that get added when accessing something remotely via the network.

In the pausing overnight scenario, I would imagine the backend gets confused regarding frontend activity as it has remained dormant for so long.

My first recommendation here would be to simply not do it. If you know you are coming back to it tomorrow, click the record button and stop watching instead.

Other than that, I would wonder about how large your backend storage directories are. Whenever you watch live tv, it is recording that file to the storage directory. I'm assuming that when you pause the front end, the back end just keeps on recording on the current channel. Could you be filling the storage directory, prompting MythTV to autoexpire old content, and could that old content be the live TV you are paused in?

Also, make sure your frontend is wired gigabit ethernet to the backend Anything that reduces latencies will help. I wouldn't use Wifi under any circumstances.

That is all that I can think of. If you post your logs when it happens, someone else might be able to read through them and help.

But as I mentioned up top, I don't understand why anyone would be running an alpha version of the backend, in a "production" environment where wife and kids have expectations. Especially when even the "stable" .27.4 release, isn't the paragon of stability...

.28 should only be for people who are actively bug testing, and don't care about crashes, freezes and other glitches IMHO.
Thanks for the response. 0.28 has been surprisingly stable and there are a few service api features of 0.28 I wanted (can't remember what they are right this minute)

Anyway the discussion is academic going back to 0.27 is not possible.

My 4yo tends not to listen when I tell him not to pause live tv. I just really want to know if there is a way to fix the client not to crash. The backend is actually functional after an all night pause so I don't think its actually related to 0.28 vs 0.27
(2015-05-06, 19:40)mikebetz42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-06, 10:09)Bonzi Wrote: [ -> ]Latest beta on rpi2 crashes Kodi when you open the guide. Wonder if other people see the same behavior. In any case I will post a log tomorrow, its late now.

I'm not having that issue.... Pi2 OpenElec 5.0.8 / MythTV PVR 1.12.18 / MythTV 0.27.4 I'm also using the same setup on a CUBox-i...

Still getting random live TV hangs, but it is happening less than it use to.. But that is another issue...

Right, everything is ok for me on 5.0.8 but on the latest kodi 15 beta1 crashes when you open the guide using the mythtv addon.
Debug log (wiki)
(2015-05-07, 03:58)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Debug log (wiki)

As I said earlier, I would post it. http://pastebin.com/RiaHpnJn
If it's crashing, upload the crashlog.