Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know if global (i.e. outside of Kodi) refresh rate switching will ever be implemented, so that the correct frame rate will be displayed in streaming apps such as Amazon and Netflix?
I think that's down to Amazon and Netflix.
(2019-01-19, 00:46)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]I think that's down to Amazon and Netflix.
They both automatically change refresh rate on other platforms such as the Amazon Fire TV.
(2019-01-19, 01:48)knubbze Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-19, 00:46)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]I think that's down to Amazon and Netflix.
They both automatically change refresh rate on other platforms such as the Amazon Fire TV. 
Well Amazon is obviously going to want it for their own device that now supports it.
For those of you who are running Kodi 18 on this hardware, how well is it working compared to SPMC? I'm only running at 1080p and I don't use audio passthrough at this time.

I've been staying on SPMC because I read about some issues with Kodi on this hardware a while back but those might very well have gotten fixed at this point. Also, with SPMC no longer being maintained it would be nice to be able to move to Kodi.
(2019-01-19, 01:48)knubbze Wrote: [ -> ]
 No - they don't automatically change refresh rate on Amazon Fire TV.  AIUI Amazon Fire TV OS apps still have to be enabled to do this, just as I believe Android apps do.

I've just checked - my Fire TV Stick 4K automatically switches from 59.94Hz to 23.976Hz or 25Hz output in Amazon Prime Video.   In Netflix and BBC iPlayer it stays at 59.94Hz whatever content I play (iPlayer is 50Hz, Netflix is a mix)
(2019-01-18, 23:48)knubbze Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if global (i.e. outside of Kodi) refresh rate switching will ever be implemented, so that the correct frame rate will be displayed in streaming apps such as Amazon and Netflix?
Not ideal, but you can use the TVHz app to force 24p for Amazon, then go back when done to whatever your default is w/Shield.

7.2.3 test images being prepped for those who signed up for 7.2.2
(2019-01-18, 23:48)knubbze Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if global (i.e. outside of Kodi) refresh rate switching will ever be implemented, so that the correct frame rate will be displayed in streaming apps such as Amazon and Netflix?

The NVIDIA devs have stated they're working on it.
(2019-01-20, 18:59)timstephens24 Wrote: [ -> ]

Personally, I don't see this ever happening, unless Nvidia had a change of heart. It’s one of the most requested features since the first Shield tv was released but Nvidia always responded with”it’s down to Amazon & Netflix to implement it”
I do hope I'm wrong because I’ve been waiting for this feature for years.
Is there something in the last update that made the Refresh rate don't work normal. Someone knows anything about this?
How activate automatically resfresh rate switching on Kodi?
(2017-01-16, 05:52)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]..... ..... .....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDITIONAL LINKS

..... ..... .....

Recommended USB Flash drives for SHIELD TV (for adopted storage)

..... ..... .....

Just letting you know. The link to the recommended drives, in that Geforce Forums thread that you're linking to, is displaying a page with this message :
Quote:Not available
This answer is no longer available.
P.S.
That same broken link, is also on this Nvidia Customer Help page : How to Increase Your Internal Storage on SHIELD TV.
Looks like they moved things around or just f'cked up.
(2018-09-03, 12:26)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-30, 06:45)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-30, 05:49)christoofar Wrote: [ -> ]Paired it w/ the Shield, worked great....for a little while them unpaired. Reset it again, dropped again.
El junko....sigh...
I'm not sure you are aware but it is strongly suspected the Shield has 2.4GHz Bluetooth RF interference issues very likely caused by its USB3 port.

Intel have even written a paper about it:
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/...paper.html

Here is a few more links for you to read:
https://www.bluetoothandusb3.com/the-explanation
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...t/5186567/

And I suspect this is the reason why NVIDIA have not been able to fix such Bluetooth controller issues since the release of the 2017 Shield, a Hardware redesign to the Shield to move the WiFi / BT antenna further away from RF interference sources would be needed.

Another example is the Apple TV 4K's Bluetooth remote, by comparison you see virtually No users reporting remote connectivity and RF interference issues. That device does not even have a USB port. The only time I have seen Bluetooth issues is when a 2.4GHz WiFi antenna was place right next to the ATV 4K.

Remember as well, modern Bluetooth is Bluetooth Low Energy, so you are dealing with low powdered 2.4GHz remote devices and RF transmissions. That are all designed to save battery power and you want to save as much power as possible if using small Coin Cell Batteries.

It's also the reason why, if you bought the $10 USB Mini (WiFi) Dongle Wireless remote, it is very likely you would have had No issues at all. 2.4GHz WiFi uses comparatively more powerful RF transmissions, and such devices use bigger AAA or AA size batteries that are much more powerful.

Another example, the MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote with it's Mini USB WiFi dongle. 2 AA batteries in that lasts approx. 9 month or more with daily usage. It has very good, battery saving - wake from sleep responsiveness, better than it's successor the MINIX A3 lite.
And now for the DIY fix for all Shield Bluetooth controller/remote issues, which yes is cause by the frankly pathetically placed small WiFi/BT antenna embedded into the Shields motherboard. What were NVIDIA thinking !

Click HERE for the DIY, thanks originally to Shield user @Dương93

Thanks, this fixed all my bluetooth remote issues 🤩

It will be great Wink
How do you know that ?
(2019-01-28, 16:47)Ogreen Wrote: [ -> ]

It will be great Wink
How do you know that ?

I drink and I know things Cool

Also from here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...05#5962559