Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Google Play 4K and YouTube 4K/HDR should be able to be added now in the apps from what I'm reading.
Is Chromecast app is now capable of 4K/HDR?
(2017-02-14, 21:57)hman411 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-30, 19:27)Victor Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Writing External (unformatted) Hard Drive from PC

Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you to everyone that keeps posting in this thread (as well as the older one). You have already answered so many of questions in terms of setup. Just got my 2017 Shield last week and its working great. I have one remaining question:

I have 2 TB WD My book hooked to the Shield and can play everything via Kodi and access the files via Total Commander. However, the Hard Drive still shows up as read only on my PC, so I can copy anything new on it. I read that this a limitation of Plex...

Now, I have seen that there are options like VirtualHere to get around this, but apparently it slows down transfer speeds considerably. I therefore wanted to ask if anyone knew a better way to deal with this?

My apologies if the question is basic or if it has been asked before. Nevertheless, I would be greatfull for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Vic

Vic I have ordered a 16gb shield and wanted to know if you have any tips or suggestion when using it with WD My Cloud?

Want to make good use of it while away from the home network. Either via Plex or any other method.

Thanks,

Hi Hman411,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Basically, what Victoria mentioned helped a lot. But basically, the key for me was to make sure it was NFTS and format it as part of the Internal Storage. Also, ensure that transfer option via LAN is turned on. I also turned on the debugging mode for USB and LAN under developer options. Works great. Only hickup I have had was a crash while watching a movie under Kodi. This is was because my network settings weren't correctly set and cause some issues while transferring files. Since fixing that, works like a charm.

Good luck!

VIC
Why on earth for 1080p SATV didn't have 8bit 4:2:0 color space? I use 12bit 4:2:2, chroma check seems (almost) fine except Chroma range check which is bad for all RGB.
(2017-02-18, 18:02)Victor Shade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-14, 21:57)hman411 Wrote: [ -> ]Vic I have ordered a 16gb shield and wanted to know if you have any tips or suggestion when using it with WD My Cloud?

Want to make good use of it while away from the home network. Either via Plex or any other method.

Thanks,

Hi Hman411,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Basically, what Victoria mentioned helped a lot. But basically, the key for me was to make sure it was NFTS and format it as part of the Internal Storage. Also, ensure that transfer option via LAN is turned on. I also turned on the debugging mode for USB and LAN under developer options. Works great. Only hickup I have had was a crash while watching a movie under Kodi. This is was because my network settings weren't correctly set and cause some issues while transferring files. Since fixing that, works like a charm.

Good luck!

VIC

WD My Clouds are NASs, you can't use them as internal storage.

@hman411, since the My Cloud is a NAS there is nothing special to do, it will work just like any other NAS. The only thing that I would suggest (depending on the version you bought) is use NFS over SMB.
Kodi database/fanart is using up almost all of the internal storage on my 16GB shield. Does anyone know if the performance on microsd will be comparable to an ssd based usb 3 thumb drive purely for use with kodi (will i notice any difference in actual daily usage, obviously the ssd smokes it on paper)? What is the more important metric on the shield for app speed, sequential read/write or 4k random read/write?
(2017-02-18, 21:48)touser Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi database/fanart is using up almost all of the internal storage on my 16GB shield. Does anyone know if the performance on microsd will be comparable to an ssd based usb 3 thumb drive purely for use with kodi (will i notice any difference in actual daily usage, obviously the ssd smokes it on paper)? What is the more important metric on the shield for app speed, sequential read/write or 4k random read/write?

All you need for adopted storage is something rated at least 60/30MB read/write, that's the minimum that you need not to see any slowdowns. The internal storage is only about 95/45MB and that's the bottleneck of any performance that you'll see from any adopted storage. Faster is better, but anything that's rated between 60-95MB reads and 30-45MB write will be good enough to keep you from seeing any performance lags.
(2017-02-18, 12:44)Theetjuh Wrote: [ -> ]Just got the update to Shield Experience 5.1, something with VP9 ... has that something to do with YouTube HDR?

(2017-02-18, 12:56)timstephens24 Wrote: [ -> ]Google Play 4K and YouTube 4K/HDR should be able to be added now in the apps from what I'm reading.
Nothing as of today. Google Play Movies is still limited to 1080p and there is no VP9 Profile 2 support that is required for YouTube HDR.
Thanks @wesk05 (sigh! [CONFOUNDED FACE]) for pointing this out!

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk
Is it possible to completely shutdown the Nvidia Shield? Is it only possible to suspend it? thanks
(2017-02-19, 23:21)LauraS Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to completely shutdown the Nvidia Shield? Is it only possible to suspend it? thanks

Yes, by either going into the Power menu at the bottom of Leanback launcher (main screen) or by holding the back button while in Leanback, then select "Power off".

However, if you have a 2017 16GB Shield you will have to unplug/plug the power cord to get it back on. The Shield is not meant to be powered off as it's meant to be a "always on' device.
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if we can connect multiple external HDD. I read that the shield tv can only recognize one connected at once?

I triedd with xplore to connect 2 external HDD and it doesn't show my 2 HDD , only the last one connected. :/

Am i missing something?
(2017-01-31, 04:54)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen anyone else on this forum have the same issue, but the option for audio passthrough disappeared when I did the nougat update on my 2015 shield pro. All audio now outputs as pcm, even Netflix.

Dispatched from Mojo's Artisan Toast & Beard-Fluffing Emporium, Temescal Alley

I'm in the same boat except Netflix works for me..

I have updated the 5.1 Experience and now, I only get DD+ with Netflix but PCM only with Kodi/SPMC/Plex/Youtube and everything else. Why's that? How to fix this?
(2017-02-20, 23:18)LEDFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-31, 04:54)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen anyone else on this forum have the same issue, but the option for audio passthrough disappeared when I did the nougat update on my 2015 shield pro. All audio now outputs as pcm, even Netflix.

I'm in the same boat except Netflix works for me..

I have updated the 5.1 Experience and now, I only get DD+ with Netflix but PCM only with Kodi/SPMC/Plex/Youtube and everything else. Why's that? How to fix this?
I haven't found a fix yet.

Maybe? settings->Display&Sound->Advanced settings->Dolby Sound(ON) and Sound HDMI 5.1 (ON)