Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-01-19, 12:36)dr.sah Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for comment.  Will I get better picture quality on NUC NUC7i7BNH with intel hd650?

Is HDR of any importance to you, and do you want to run Windows ?
The NUCi7 and Shield are similar speeds in general usage. In fact the Shield remote is much faster to respond than my NUC + harmony control.
(2018-01-19, 11:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]So in Oreo terms on the nVidia Shield - do we think that this change means we will run our 4K nVidia Shields in 2160p Rec 2020 colour space, and Android will then properly handle Rec 709->Rec 2020 colourspace conversion at the OS level (rather than apps having to - if indeed they do - or it not happening at all)?

I'm guessing Android developers see they have an issue with the various streaming apps on different platforms potentially using different colour-spaces to each other, and in some cases within themselves? (BBC iPlayer is Rec 709 for HD content, but the UHD HDR stuff is Rec 2020 - with HLG) 

I went over the API documentation a couple of times and now I am actually confused Undecided I am not sure whether this API can switch color spaces based on the source or it just gets the color spaces of the source and the HDMI setting and then converts it when required. Will have to wait and see how this will be implemented by nVIDIA. I am hoping that there would be some user options in the firmware.
(2018-01-15, 19:19)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Finally I've purchased a SATV Pro and I like it. However, I've installed both SPMC 17.6 Alpha 2 and the latest version of MX Player Pro (I'm a registered user), and I've realized that PQ is not the same. In fact, PQ with MX Player is better than with SPMC, at least when watching Blu-ray rips (on a Full HD screen), it has more depth and is more contrasty.

I've followed recommendations from GitHub to fine-tune settings for a Full HD screen, but I cannot achieve the same picture quality.

Anyone has ideas to achieve a similar PQ or this is not possible because MX has the best PQ available for the Shield? It's a shame MX Player does not have auto frame rate switching nor folder playback support.

Thanks 
As nobody knows how to get MX Player picture quality on Kodi/SPMC (I have reports from other users claiming MX Player has a punchier picture), does anyone know how to launch MX Player from KODI (SPMC)? (as an external player), with auto framerate switching if possible (MX Player does not have this feature).

Thanks again.
Take a look at the Wiki

HOW-TO:Use_external_players_on_Android (wiki)
Not sure I’m understanding the color space issue.

I set my shield to 1920x1080 YUV 444 8-bit Rec. 709 when I want to watch 1080p content. Kodi is set to adjust refresh rate. It changes to 24p and the colorspace is still the same one.

I set my shield to 3840x2160 YUV 420 10-bit Rec. 2020 when I want to watch 4k/hdr content. The Shield does not support 24p with that colorspace, but when Kodi adjust the frame rate to 24p. I get YUV 422 12-bit, which from my somewhat limited understanding is equivalent. I am guessing my TV will adjust the 12 bit to 10 bit by some form of magic. I do not notice any banding and I have compared it by manually setting the shield to YUV 422 12bit 24hz and no resolution switching.

Am I missing something? Or does the problem not affect me because I manually switch between 1080 and 2160?
(2018-01-21, 15:03)Matalo Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure I’m understanding the color space issue.

I set my shield to 1920x1080 YUV 444 8-bit Rec. 709 when I want to watch 1080p content. Kodi is set to adjust refresh rate. It changes to 24p and the colorspace is still the same one.

Yep - in this mode you are playing Rec 709 HD content and it is being output in Rec 709 colour space (and your display handles any upconversion)
Quote:I set my shield to 3840x2160 YUV 420 10-bit Rec. 2020 when I want to watch 4k/hdr content. The Shield does not support 24p with that colorspace, but when Kodi adjust the frame rate to 24p. I get YUV 422 12-bit, which from my somewhat limited understanding is equivalent.
It's the HDMI spec that doesn't support 4:2:0 at 24p. https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2...q.aspx#146

4:2:0 is only supported for 50 and 60p on HDMI, as at 30p and below there are no bandwidth issues that require it, and so the higher quality 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 formats can be used.
Quote:I am guessing my TV will adjust the 12 bit to 10 bit by some form of magic.
No magic - your 8 or 10 bit source will be output at 12 bit with nothing useful in the 4 or 2 LSBs, and your TV will probably only have 10 bit max bit-depth. Don't worry...
Quote:I do not notice any banding and I have compared it by manually setting the shield to YUV 422 12bit 24hz and no resolution switching.

Am I missing something? Or does the problem not affect me because I manually switch between 1080 and 2160?

It's because you are manually switching between Rec 709 and Rec 2020 - not 1080p and 2160p. (You'll also see 2160p Rec 709 options - and some 2160p stuff is in Rec 709 colourspace - such as early 2160/50p and 60p TV tests like 2014 World Cup stuff)
(2018-01-19, 00:21)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If you use If you use SPMC 17.6a2 (Krypton Fork) onwards you now get auto 720/1080p <<-->> 4K resolution switching to work around the Shield's relatively poor picture upscaling (Krypton Fork) onwards you now get auto 720/1080p <<-->> 4K resolution switching to work around the Shield's relatively poor picture upscaling and let the TV do all the upscaling with it's superior hardware. But that is for the SPMC 17.6a2 App only, not other video streaming apps.
Could you help me out, please

I'm running SPMC 17.6a2. Exactly what settings are needed to avoid picture upscaling by the Shield? For example, do the Shield and SPMC both need to be at 1920x1080 or just the Shield set at 3840x2160 and SMPC at 1920x1080? Are there any further specific SPMC settings needed?

There are numerous posts scattered through various fora and sites with contradictory advices. A good summary would be much appreciated.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/d.../related/1

Seems like 6.3 ahould launch soon. Wonder if its only gonna be a security update or will it have anything for A/V enhancements
(2018-01-20, 19:33)BluHD Wrote: [ -> ]Take a look at the Wiki

HOW-TO:Use_external_players_on_Android (wiki)
Thank you. I still cannot understand why MX Player picture is better than SPMC's using *the same hardware* (chipset). Also I've made some tests with Archos Player and it seems PQ is better than SPMC's too (on par with MX Player). This is not just my impression, other users are claiming this.

What's the problem of KODI (SPMC) with Nvidia Shield? Is some optimization missing?
(2018-01-23, 01:33)DragonFly Wrote: [ -> ]Could you help me out, please

I'm running SPMC 17.6a2. Exactly what settings are needed to avoid picture upscaling by the Shield? For example, do the Shield and SPMC both need to be at 1920x1080 or just the Shield set at 3840x2160 and SMPC at 1920x1080? Are there any further specific SPMC settings needed?

There are numerous posts scattered through various fora and sites with contradictory advices. A good summary would be much appreciated.  
Read THIS. In theory, you apply those settings and you don't need to do anything else. Shield TV since SE 6.1 (if I'm not wrong), sends native output resolution to your TV.

OTOH, Have you tested MX Player or Archos Player?
(2018-01-25, 14:55)ars92 Wrote: [ -> ]http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/d.../related/1

Seems like 6.3 ahould launch soon. Wonder if its only gonna be a security update or will it have anything for A/V enhancements
6.3 makes playback stutter a lot, sideloading apk's is broken, tbh I can't see any enhancements...
(2018-01-25, 16:04)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-23, 01:33)DragonFly Wrote: [ -> ]Could you help me out, please

Read THIS. In theory, you apply those settings and you don't need to do anything else. Shield TV since SE 6.1 (if I'm not wrong), sends native output resolution to your TV.

OTOH, Have you tested MX Player or Archos Player?   
This is the recommended setting for a 4K TV and a 4K SMPC GUI (which has a sloooow RSS ticker in that high resolution), where the upscaling is actually done by SMPC using Lanczos3 - optimised. I'd like to avoid upscaling done by Kodi/SPMC and/or the Shield altogether. My TV, which can probably do a far superior job, needs to do the legwork.

I did use this SPMC wiki recommendation for a 1080P GUI, which should avoid upscaling, but I don't know if these settings are enough.

Is there any way to see (in a debug.log) if upscaling by Kodi is bypassed/not executed and is there any way to see if the Shield is not doing the same?

Did compare the TV's native media player, running on Android TV, with Kodi using a HEVC sample. The native player produced a MUCH nicer result (especially in dark areas and greyscale artifacts)
I have my shield set to 4K 59.9hz and Kodi 16.7 set to 1080 to make my tv do the upscaling, but Kodi won’t let me choose 60hz? It’s only showing 23.98,24,25,29.97,30.

If Kodi is set to 4K output I get the full range of refresh rate choices.

SPMC doesn’t have this limitation. Is it a bug?
(2018-01-30, 01:21)fluxcapacitor Wrote: [ -> ]I have my shield set to 4K 59.9hz and Kodi 16.7 set to 1080 to make my tv do the upscaling, but Kodi won’t let me choose 60hz? It’s only showing 23.98,24,25,29.97,30.

If Kodi is set to 4K output I get the full range of refresh rate choices.

SPMC doesn’t have this limitation. Is it a bug?

Then that's part of your issue right there. Why are you still using an old version of Kodi? Most of the features for the Shield weren't implemented in Kodi until v17.

Also SPMC does not = Kodi. Koying is able to do things with SPMC that don't get implemented in Kodi until later versions or not at all.