Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media Companion - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
billyad2000 Wrote:This has already been brought up earlier in this thread.

I'd like very much to do something with multi-part episodes. The problem is that I have no idea how to handle them, and in such a way that the nfo files are still imported by XBMC.

Once someone gives me this information then i'll add that functionality.

I just checked and I dont have this problem.All my episodes scan fine in files like that.I name mine like this

stargate.s01e01e02.avi

I dont have stargate but all the files I have that are multi part all scan flawlessly and I have 25 different tv shows all of them have one or two of these.
Hey, still loving XBMC MC Big Grin

I think i may have found a couple of problems/bugs/user errors.

1 - When i start the app sometimes i get a .net framewor unhandled exception error, if i click continue the window isreally tiny and i have to drag the bottom right tab thing to the normal size. Pastebin of log here.

2 - After scanning the series "Joey" with media companion, all *.nfo's were generated and looked good to my eye, but only around 70% are picked up by XBMC.

Upon further investigation, i found someting very strange indeed.

I can take an nfo that is not good, copy contents and paste into one that does, then copy and paste the file name too (To make sure it's not a typo on my part) and re-scan..... it works Huh:confused2:Huh Rofl

Weird huh?

Shorty
Ok, just as soon as i posted, made a discovery about problem 2.

The ones that work seem to be ANSI encoded and the ones that don't are UTF encoded...... this could be my fault, i added rating and runtime fields and saved before scanning to XBMC... will let you know what i find.

Shorty
Hi,

1st off, i'd like to say you have a great program there. Saves TONS of time
and i love the fact that it gives me power as to what is shown in my Library.

I have a feature request that is related to what may be a bug.

It would be great if the program would use the folder.jpg that already exists
to create the filename.tbn. Especially if you do not check the "Create folder.jpg"
option.

I have very meticulously chosen all my folder.jpg to be high-res posters
mainly taken from http://www.impawards.com and i want my thumbnails to
use the same posters. I already have a script that i made that takes a
folder.jpg and creates a thumbnail for all videos in the folder but i figure if
your program has it built-in, it eliminates one step.

I usually run my script before scanning but i forgot to do it for one of my
movie directories and as i was watching it scan, i was cringing at how ugly
some of the posters were.

Now for the so-called "bug", a lot of the thumbnails that were downloaded
were in Spanish and also a lot were just posters with no text at all... Again,
this is a personal preference in not having posters without the title of the
movie but having the title in Spanish might annoy more that me Smile

Here are a quick few examples of movies where XBMC Movie Companion
downloaded Spanish/German/Dutch thumbnails :

Airheads (1994)
Blue Streak (1999)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
Elizabeth I (2005)
Glass House - The Good Mother (2006)
Indecent Proposal (1993)
Innerspace (1987)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Payback (1999)
Rapid Fire (1992)
Resident Evil (2002)
Speed Zone! (1989) (That one actually returned the Japanese poster!)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)
When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
Wild Orchid (1990)

This is from a directory with only 300 movies (i have about 1300+) so i am
sure there are way more than that but hopefully you can find a way to get
the posters in the movie's original language.

-Pr.
Further to my previous post.

It would appear to be my fault that they are being saved in UTF format, which are not picked up by XBMC. Although i have no idea why notepad saves sometimes different ways...... time to use another editor i guess.

Shorty
ShortySco Wrote:Further to my previous post.

It would appear to be my fault that they are being saved in UTF format, which are not picked up by XBMC. Although i have no idea why notepad saves sometimes different ways...... time to use another editor i guess.

Shorty

Glad you managed to figure it out, those kind of (apparently illogical) problems drive me nuts.

The situation you are describing sounds backwards to me, UTF afaik is the best to use for XML. The exported XML files from XBMC use UTF and I can't see why they wouldn't allow them to be imported.

Either way you should really be able to use either without any issues.

One posibility is that maybe you can only use one or the other for all your nfo's.

You could try inserting the following tag at the top of your nfo file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

There is also the posibility that this is an XBMC bug. It may be worth raising the issue in the bug discussion forum, if it is a bug then now is the time to get them fixed.
The tag is required, yes.
Thanks for the info guys Smile I was driving myself mad...

I'm awfully tired and confused at the moment .... will need to sleep and tomorrow i'll tinker some more and let you know about any findings Smile

Cheers,

Shorty
Hi Billy,

Thanks for an excellent tool! I'm using the latest rendition v1.731 now and I must say that you have put a lot of thought and effort into this through the generations. You are the reason I've started using the library feature. You certainly have put power in our hands...

If I may be so bold as to put in some requests for once you're done with the bug-fixing:

1. A previous poster suggested a 'Lock' option to guard against changes to existing nfo files and prevent a future IMDb scrape from overwriting a 'personalised' nfo file - if I could add my 2c, I would propose at least to lock/archive the IMDb ID 'tt#' to prevent the scraper from assuming that another movie title is ranked higher and overwriting previous labour) - I had this issue for example with 'All the King's Men' where a 1949-title kept overwriting the 2006-title data when I hit 'scan folders for new movies'. I read an earlier post that if this program found an existing nfo file then the scrape would be skipped but through an unfortunate experience I didn't find this to be the case (much to my dismay). I haven't tried it since as I am too afraid to risk losing the fruits of my customised labour without a 'Backup' facility, so I just exclude my 'scraped' folders - problem is I lose the benefit of updates but movies aren't too serious.

2. A 'Lock All' toggle feature so that, once scanned, one could lock all scraped nfo's and proceed to unlock and update one at a time for 'fine-tuning' or drop additional movies into the movies folder and scan only for those new ones...

3. Possibly a 'Lock' for the cover art to ensure that a (precious, custom) tbn file isn't overwritten in future scrapes?

4. A 'Stop Scraping' button to abort a scrape (obviously) - only current way to abort at the moment is to end the process from what I can gather.

5. A 'Backup' and 'Restore' feature so one can play with new features without risking the hard work put in to date in customising earlier scrapes. Possibly this would come in with the move to your previously-mentioned single xml database?

6. An option not to download series fanart - this takes a lot of time when setting up one's series folders one-by-one. Would it not be possible to have the first lookup just get the basics such as Title and TVDb ID? The rest of the lookups could come through with the actual episode scrape? Same for actor thumbs - a toggle switch to include/exclude would be 'nice'.

7. The Series banner display - could this have an option to scrape from banner.jpg rather than folder.jpg? I don't know how others do it, but I tend to use folder.jpg as a folder thumb in Folder thumb view in poster-format and reserve banner-format media art for the banners of Series.
Thus:
folder.jpg (poster/portrait format)
banner.jpg (banner/landscape format) - possibly cycle through banner#.jpg
Or:
Movie/SeriesFileName.poster#.jpg for posters
Movie/SeriesFileName.banner#.jpg for banners

No pressure... Wink
I am using this application for a couple of months now and need to say that it indeed works phantastic.

I have one question related to XBMC (and less to this application), but I am sure that here I should find the right people who know how to solve it:

Situation
1) I have created nfo-files with the Media Companion for my movies
2) When starting XBMC, XBMC reads this information and creates library
3) I work in library and everything works perfectly!!!

Complication
1) I now change one of the nfo-files (e.g., updating movie info)
2) The only way to get XBMC include this changed nfo-file is to manually delete the whole library and re-scan everything

Any thoughts how I can have XBMC check for changed nfo-files? Your help is highly appreciated!!!
Just refresh the movie in question.

'Movie Information' > 'Refresh'.
Hey Billy,
Thanks for writing this little app it works pretty good and saves me tons of time.

I've come across what I think is a bug. I'm using version "1.731" and here is what happens:

1. First change mode to "TV Shows"
  2. Add a new TV show by going to file---Add Folder
  3. I get a dialog box that says the folder has been added and written to the config file.
  4. The new show does not show up in "Select TV Show".
  5. I click the icon with a + "Scan folders for new movies..."
  6. It finds only the previous shows that were already there....
  7. and removes all the episode information displayed within Movie Companion
  8. I then go to Tools Preferences and verify that my new TV show folder is listed (it is) and I remove it.
  9. I attempt to re-add the TV show from this preferences window and I get the following error messages in my error.log and the program seems to lock up.
Code:
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.ObjectCollection.AddInternal(Object item)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.ObjectCollection.Add(Object item)
   at XBMC_Media_Companion.Form1.rebuild()
   at XBMC_Media_Companion.Form1.TsBtnScanNewMedia_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
Loop Through TV Show Paths for new episodes (TsBtnScanNewMedia_Click)
Folder :- V:\TV\Avatar_The_Last_Airbender
IMDB ID :-
TVDB ID :- 74852

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.ObjectCollection.AddInternal(Object item)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.ObjectCollection.Add(Object item)
   at XBMC_Media_Companion.Form1.rebuild()
   at XBMC_Media_Companion.Form1.MenuItem23_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
Loop Through TV Show Paths for new episodes (MenuItem23_Click)
Folder :- V:\TV\Avatar_The_Last_Airbender
IMDB ID :-
TVDB ID :- 74852

The show named in the error log above was the first show listed and it already existed.

After killing Movie Companion, I restart and both of my original shows are back.

I can usually avoid this whole mess by first adding a show from Tools---Preferences---Add TV Folder It then offers to write the tv.nfo file and everything usually works out.
Okay I ran into another problem with my TV show "Firefly".

I try adding my show from Tools---Preferences---Add TV folder
It attempts to scrape info based on the name of my folder "Firefly" and I get this dialog:
Code:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.

at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)

at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageFormat format)

at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename)

at XBMC_Media_Companion.options.scrapetvshow()
and it just keeps repeating every time I press ok.

**** SOLVED ****
My new TV show folder "Firefly" was not writeable. I "chown" the folder to my user and group and now it works. I guess I was getting that error above because it was trying to write the tvshow.nfo and couldn't do it.
Pr.Sinister Wrote:Now for the so-called "bug", a lot of the thumbnails that were downloaded
were in Spanish and also a lot were just posters with no text at all... Again,
this is a personal preference in not having posters without the title of the
movie but having the title in Spanish might annoy more that me Smile

Here are a quick few examples of movies where XBMC Movie Companion
downloaded Spanish/German/Dutch thumbnails :

Airheads (1994)
Blue Streak (1999)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
Elizabeth I (2005)
Glass House - The Good Mother (2006)
Indecent Proposal (1993)
Innerspace (1987)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Payback (1999)
Rapid Fire (1992)
Resident Evil (2002)
Speed Zone! (1989) (That one actually returned the Japanese poster!)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)
When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
Wild Orchid (1990)

I can confirm this problem. This was an older version when it happened to me, but an initial scrape did turn up a lot of foreign language posters. Airheads is one we have in common. There was plenty of others though. I have manually fixed them all, but it might be annoying when a new user does a full scan and finds a few dozen foreign posters (as I did).