Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is that a yes or a no
I don't know as I have not tested.
(2015-11-02, 02:15)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I'll create a new column for HiMedia M3, and demote Gecko from featured players. Will reflect in next update of chart. Cloud Media needs to take control of their forum back from likes of Willem55. Talk about antagonistic behavior for a mod.

Couple of updates:
  • RPi2 can now do VC-1 perfectly. Terrific as only my Chromebox could play VC-1 29.970 well until now. May finally sell my Chromebox
  • RPi2's latest Kodi 16 builds play 3D ISO's well, and resuming in 3D is also working, but I'm still getting occasional stutters and green pixellation with some 3D BD rips. Same rips play fine on HiMedia Q5
  • Testing HiMedia Q5's latest private beta v3.0.2, video playback seems improved, even though changelog doesn't say anything about this. I'm not getting audio dropouts anymore. 3D ISO's are still playing at 24.000 instead of proper 23.976, but no stutters or green pixellation like with RPi2. But, as no true 23.976 for 3D ISO's, occasional microstutters are noticeable

Nice
About that A5 priveate beta, so its almost flawless then nnwith that beta?
himedia police was released ONLY stable firmware , beta firmware it's only for test with few member.
The Green Pixel on Pi2 seem to be an issue of the Betas, latest Stable no issue.

How about this new kodi 3D player, any info?

TLBB V8 4K

http://thelittleblackbox.com/products/
(2015-11-03, 22:18)3dgeek Wrote: [ -> ]How about this new kodi 3D player, any info?

TLBB V8 4K

http://thelittleblackbox.com/products/
Yeah sure if you want to buy from some untrustworthy company that not long ago sold piles of junk filled with piracy
That, plus didn't think Amlogic S812 could support full 3D. Only one I'm aware of is Minix (sponsor) using VidOn (GPL violator) XBMC to offer 3D & HD audio via X8-H Plus.
Speaking of GPL Violator.

VidOn got a bad rep because they did not release their source code,but now they are in bed with MINIX,who turns out to be sponsor for Kodi.

WOW!!!!Huh
Exactly my point. VidOn is a selling point for Minix. By reading user comments in their forum, many are using it with their X8-H Plus.
(2015-11-04, 00:05)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly my point. VidOn is a selling point for Minix. By reading user comments in their forum, many are using it with their X8-H Plus.
VidOn is in bed with Amlogic. Minix is just using the SDK provided by Amlogic and allowing VidOn use possible on their boxes. Yes, if they wanted to distance from VidOn, they could have done so. They took it as an opportunity because there were several users asking for HD audio passthrough on Minix forum.
True, but still not right for a Kodi sponsor to rely on a solution from a GPL violating entity. Kind of makes it hard to shun VidOn and their box.
(2015-11-04, 03:34)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]True, but still not right for a Kodi sponsor to rely on a solution from a GPL violating entity. Kind of makes it hard to shun VidOn and their box.

Agreed!!
(2015-11-02, 17:09)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]There's no best, but here's what I'd consider between the two as far as PQ and 3D support...

RPi2
- Seamless playback of 3D via Kodi internal dvdplayer/videoplayer
- Excellent PQ, unmolested, output as is from videos
- Perfect framerates, especially the most important 23.976 (majority of movies & TV shows)
- 3D support for both ISO's and MVC MKV's
- Some artifacts exist (not all 3D ISO's): green pixellation and random stutters (latter seems like at points where bitrates peak in BD rips)
- The best support you could ask for

Update: The Pi2 green pixellation issue is being worked on.

HiMedia Q5
- Video playback (including 3D) via external player solution (not seamless w/Kodi, but not bad either)
- No wired SMB/NFS playback stutters
- Excellent PQ, leveraging Imprex Processing Engine (a Darbee Darblet-like video processor)
- 23.976 is only supported for 2D. 3D ISO's play at 24.000 (some microstutters are noticeable)
- Only 3D ISO's supported, not MVC MKV's
- Fairly good support (wish it was faster, with more frequent updates)

Wow, this is incredibly thorough. Right now, I'm running a HiMedia Q5 4K3D. It's the English version and has all the latest software/hardware stuff. It's claimed that the unit supports

-DolbyTrueHD (when I play these files through my gigabit SMB Network, the movies stutter/skip frames unless I switch to standard DD 5.1)
-DTS-MA (Works Fine)
-3D ISO Support (The player switches over to 3D and even displays a '3D' indicator on screen but my projector shows no 3D signal coming in - bummer)

It's a pain in the neck and I think I'm just going to return it. Your superhumanly thorough list has been enlightening (really, finding this thing CHANGED MY OUTLOOK ON THIS WHOLE STREAMER
BUSINESS! I was about to give up... Confused )

Just curious... How did you get your 3D ISO support to work on the Q5? I followed a tutorial and set up all the options as described. I'm on Kodi 14.2, using the himediawrapper.

Thank you!
Howdy. 3D ISO's definitely play in full 3D via Q5. What firmware do you have? Are you using the HiMedia wrapper, which forces Kodi to use the external player? Which projector do you have? Have you tried connecting directly to projector to rules out AVR?

TrueHD, I have zero issues with stutter/skip frames via cate5e wired connection (SMB) via my gigabit router to my Synology NAS.

Re: RPi2, it's very good. Few issues remain (green pixellatation in some ISO rips, stutters in a few, and shakiness in a couple), but overall, it's fairly solid. Yes, you can use Harmony remote. I'm using this IR receiver, which I control my Pi2 via my Harmony. You can also use Flirc or any other similar solution. For 3D MVC MKV, you need to name your files moviename.3D.MVC.mkv if you're on latest Kodi 16 builds or moviename.3D.SBS.mkv if you're on official 15.
(2015-11-05, 02:47)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Howdy. 3D ISO's definitely play in full 3D via Q5. What firmware do you have? Are you using the HiMedia wrapper, which forces Kodi to use the external player? Which projector do you have? Have you tried connecting directly to projector to rules out AVR?

TrueHD, I have zero issues with stutter/skip frames via cate5e wired connection (SMB) via my gigabit router to my Synology NAS.

Re: RPi2, it's very good. Few issues remain (green pixellatation in some ISO rips, stutters in a few, and shakiness in a couple), but overall, it's fairly solid. Yes, you can use Harmony remote. I'm using this IR receiver, which I control my Pi2 via my Harmony. You can also use Flirc or any other similar solution. For 3D MVC MKV, you need to name your files moviename.3D.MVC.mkv if you're on latest Kodi 16 builds or moviename.3D.SBS.mkv if you're on official 15.

Thank you for getting back to me so fast!

Hmmm... Well, I've got the latest firmware revision installed on my Q5 (I think):

Q5 4K3D. 18-SEP-2015. FIRMWARE HMD-3.0.1.1 FUTEKO-EN.
Internal build number: HMD-3.0.1 2015-09-07.184046

Android 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.10.0_s40

My projector is a BENQ w1070 and I will attempt to do a direct connect from the q5 to the projector now. I'll get back with an answer shortly.
(EDIT: Holy Shnike's, you were right! Hooking up the HDMI directly from the q5 to the projector made the 3D work. That's weird. My bluray and
PS3 both run through the AVR and the 3D works fine. Is it a setting?)

I've got a cat 5e ethernet cable running straight out of my Apple Airport Extreme which is gigabit (connecting my mac with my drive to the network)
and a trendnet teg-s50g switch (also gigabit) connecting my q5 to the apple airport extreme.

My hard drives are hooked up in a 12TB RAID 0 array via USB 3.0 to my mac and my files are 1:1 MKV copies of the original movies.

It's just so weird. I feel like I've done everything right, according to the forums but obviously there's gotta be a step I'm missing somewhere.

Thanks again for taking time to help!