Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-01-04, 00:53)harvdog13 Wrote: [ -> ]Are most people running OpenElec, Linux or Windows on these little beasts? Mine should be here tomorrow & I'm trying to decide which way to go!

I'm running openelec on mine.
Hi, did anybody manage to wake up NUC from S3 (stadby/suspend) using RF remote (preferably RF keyboard) ?
(2013-01-04, 15:11)glypto Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, did anybody manage to wake up NUC from S3 (stadby/suspend) using RF remote (preferably RF keyboard) ?

Waking the NUC with Harmony One IR remote or RF keyboard works fine here, but only from S3. Doing so from S5 does not work.
I'm running OpenElec, and it has worked beautyfully for the past 2 weeks, bitstreaming HDA and all...
I have not tried IR yet, but good to know it works. I have a Pulse eight USB-CEC on order, so will test it out with my Samy TV when it arrives and let you guys know. It appears only the NIC remains powered when in S5 though so i imagine only WOL is possible, not wake on USB, would love to be wrong though ;-)
Just got one of these. Any benefits of Windows vs OpenElec?
(2013-01-04, 19:18)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]Waking the NUC with Harmony One IR remote or RF keyboard works fine here, but only from S3. Doing so from S5 does not work.
I'm running OpenElec, and it has worked beautyfully for the past 2 weeks, bitstreaming HDA and all...

Thanks. What kin of RF keyboard do you use?

(2013-01-05, 01:03)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]I have not tried IR yet, but good to know it works. I have a Pulse eight USB-CEC on order, so will test it out with my Samy TV when it arrives and let you guys know. It appears only the NIC remains powered when in S5 though so i imagine only WOL is possible, not wake on USB, would love to be wrong though ;-)
Well, I hope NIC supports WOL. Based on this article :http://communities.intel.com/message/175914 wol is not supported on WLAN. Please let us know whether CEC adapter works for you.
(2013-01-05, 09:41)glypto Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. What kin of RF keyboard do you use?

I'm using a rapoo e2700. But in the past i was using logitech mouse and keyboard as well. Nothing did not work so far...
(2013-01-05, 06:36)Helheim Wrote: [ -> ]Just got one of these. Any benefits of Windows vs OpenElec?

If you want a media player, go for OE. If you want a PC with its additional possibilities, choose Windows. I believe the only advantage of Windows is the capability to play frame packed 3D if you use a secondary player, as xbmc OE cant handle this yet. SBS 3D should be alright, but i cant try, dont have the TV.
(2013-01-05, 12:56)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-05, 06:36)Helheim Wrote: [ -> ]Just got one of these. Any benefits of Windows vs OpenElec?

If you want a media player, go for OE. If you want a PC with its additional possibilities, choose Windows. I believe the only advantage of Windows is the capability to play frame packed 3D if you use a secondary player, as xbmc OE cant handle this yet. SBS 3D should be alright, but i cant try, dont have the TV.

Any reason to go with Windows over XBMCBuntu? My NUC is being delivered on Monday and I was planning on rolling with XBMCBuntu.
(2013-01-05, 09:41)glypto Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-04, 19:18)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]Waking the NUC with Harmony One IR remote or RF keyboard works fine here, but only from S3. Doing so from S5 does not work.

(2013-01-05, 01:03)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]I have not tried IR yet, but good to know it works. I have a Pulse eight USB-CEC on order, so will test it out with my Samy TV when it arrives and let you guys know. It appears only the NIC remains powered when in S5 though so i imagine only WOL is possible, not wake on USB, would love to be wrong though ;-)
Well, I hope NIC supports WOL. Based on this article :http://communities.intel.com/message/175914 wol is not supported on WLAN. Please let us know whether CEC adapter works for you.

Got my CEC adapter today, Got to say i am impressed. I needed to install the libcec driver as it doesn't appear to be preinstalled on xbmcbuntu Frodo RC2. But after that was done it was plain sailing. I am using my TV remote (My TV is Samsung BD2230HD) it accepts passthough of up, down, left, right, enter, back, play, stop, chapter forward, chapter back, i have not tried anything else as thats all i need :-)

(2013-01-05, 19:40)Orrkis Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-05, 12:56)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]

Any reason to go with Windows over XBMCBuntu? My NUC is being delivered on Monday and I was planning on rolling with XBMCBuntu.

XBMCbuntu works perfectly (which is what im using). If you want to do extra stuff go with Windows or full linux like der_zeisig said. One thing to note about XBMCbuntu, the latest frodo build (RC2) doesn't have VAAPI driver installed so GPU acceleration wont work, and it is needed for 1080p content, see this thread here to get it added http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150322

(2013-01-05, 22:03)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]

Got my CEC adapter today, Got to say i am impressed. I needed to install the libcec driver as it doesn't appear to be preinstalled on xbmcbuntu Frodo RC2. But after that was done it was plain sailing. I am using my TV remote (My TV is Samsung BD2230HD) it accepts passthough of up, down, left, right, enter, back, play, stop, chapter forward, chapter back, i have not tried anything else as thats all i need :-)

(2013-01-05, 12:56)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]If you want a media player, go for OE. If you want a PC with its additional possibilities, choose Windows. I believe the only advantage of Windows is the capability to play frame packed 3D if you use a secondary player, as xbmc OE cant handle this yet. SBS 3D should be alright, but i cant try, dont have the TV.

XBMCbuntu works perfectly (which is what im using). If you want to do extra stuff go with Windows or full linux like der_zeisig said. One thing to note about XBMCbuntu, the latest frodo build (RC2) doesn't have VAAPI driver installed so GPU acceleration wont work, and it is needed for 1080p content, see this thread here to get it added http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150322
Appreciate the info. Thanks!
(2013-01-05, 22:03)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]XBMCbuntu works perfectly (which is what im using). If you want to do extra stuff go with Windows or full linux like der_zeisig said. One thing to note about XBMCbuntu, the latest frodo build (RC2) doesn't have VAAPI driver installed so GPU acceleration wont work, and it is needed for 1080p content, see this thread here to get it added http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150322
FYI, neither does RC3.
Just exit xbmc and login to xbmcbuntu, and open the Synaptic Package Manager. Search for vaapi and install the i945-va-driver (VAAPI for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family). Log out or reboot and you should be good to go.
(2013-01-05, 22:46)Steve_McQueen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-05, 22:03)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]XBMCbuntu works perfectly (which is what im using). If you want to do extra stuff go with Windows or full linux like der_zeisig said. One thing to note about XBMCbuntu, the latest frodo build (RC2) doesn't have VAAPI driver installed so GPU acceleration wont work, and it is needed for 1080p content, see this thread here to get it added http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150322
FYI, neither does RC3.
Just exit xbmc and login to xbmcbuntu, and open the Synaptic Package Manager. Search for vaapi and install the i945-va-driver (VAAPI for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family). Log out or reboot and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
(2013-01-01, 18:19)hamiltong Wrote: [ -> ]For those interested in the power consumption - I put a kilowatt meter inline and did some measurements

- idol in BIOS = 15W
- idol in WIN7 = 11W
- idol in XBMC = 13W
- 1080p stress test (birds) = 18W
- odd time (during transitions from video to applications) 20W

Thanks for this!.. Do you have any figure for s3 sleep?
(2013-01-05, 22:03)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]

(2013-01-05, 12:56)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]If you want a media player, go for OE. If you want a PC with its additional possibilities, choose Windows. I believe the only advantage of Windows is the capability to play frame packed 3D if you use a secondary player, as xbmc OE cant handle this yet. SBS 3D should be alright, but i cant try, dont have the TV.

Thanks in large part to the help in this thread my setup was relatively painless. The only issue I have left to resolve is that I cannot seem to get dts hd ma working. All other audio is fine thus far. In between my nuc and my avr is a dvdo video processor that has never failed to pass through audio in the past. I tried various combinations of audio output device and passthrough audio output device settings in the xbmc menu but haven't gotten it working yet. Is it possible there is an Ubuntu or bios setting that I missed?