Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-10-30, 16:56)DiCe! Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I have a question that I hope you can hlp me with.

I am looking to replace my old, noisy HTPC with one of these. At the moment I have windows 7 installed and then XBMC over the top and it starts as soon as W7 is loaded but that is very heavy.

I am looking to get straight to XBMC, the questions I have are these:

Is openelec skinable? Aeon mq4/5 etc?
How does openelec store/access metadata? is it stored on a stick? or would it be better to get the metadata on my server?

Lastly which NUC would I need to purely stream 720/1080p videos from my unraid server that is housed in a HP microserver?

I realize there are a few newbie questions here, any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

D!

Get a flash drive (2 probably, one to install from) and test the generic (or specific, depends on your current HTPC machine) on your current HTPC.

It will run from the flash drive, so you don't need to mess with anything other than that. Then you can see first hand what you can/can't do with OE.
(2013-10-30, 22:05)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]Haswell NUC Review in German - http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/kompl...l-im-test/

Thanks for another review Smile

Been so many over the last month - month and half....yet Intel won't / cant give an accurate release date. Very annoying Angry
(2013-10-30, 17:43)00b5 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-30, 16:56)DiCe! Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I have a question that I hope you can hlp me with.

I am looking to replace my old, noisy HTPC with one of these. At the moment I have windows 7 installed and then XBMC over the top and it starts as soon as W7 is loaded but that is very heavy.

I am looking to get straight to XBMC, the questions I have are these:

Is openelec skinable? Aeon mq4/5 etc?
How does openelec store/access metadata? is it stored on a stick? or would it be better to get the metadata on my server?

Lastly which NUC would I need to purely stream 720/1080p videos from my unraid server that is housed in a HP microserver?

I realize there are a few newbie questions here, any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

D!

Get a flash drive (2 probably, one to install from) and test the generic (or specific, depends on your current HTPC machine) on your current HTPC.

It will run from the flash drive, so you don't need to mess with anything other than that. Then you can see first hand what you can/can't do with OE.

Annoyingly when I plug the stick in and boot it gets to the splash screen and crashes.....

To be fair the HPC is really rather crap, will all be binned except the SSD, just got to decide if I want the celeron or the i3....
Ok. Problem with my Celeron 847....1080p files now stutter when played from my NAS.

Any reason why? I haven't changed anything.
My Haswell NUC just shipped, can't wait Big Grin
(2013-11-05, 23:06)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]My Haswell NUC just shipped, can't wait Big Grin

Where did you order from?

Seems like the US has got them a week before Europe, though only guessing atm >.<
(2013-11-05, 23:19)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-05, 23:06)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]My Haswell NUC just shipped, can't wait Big Grin

Seems like the US has got them a week before Europe, though only guessing atm >.<

There are a couple of US re-sellers who have them and are gouging on the price currently (via Amazon and elsewhere). This NUC should be down to the $265'ish of the Ivy i3 NUC in pretty short order once supplies build up. I can resist getting one for a few weeks to save $50.
Hey all:

Picked up the i5 Intel NUC, model # BOXDC53427HYE. I have XBMC installed on Windows 7. I am encountering what appears to be jittering (hope I am using the word correctly). To describe it a little better, when watching movies or TV shows, there seems to be a really minor hanging. I notice it and it is driving me crazy. I try opening the video in VLC and it seems to work a lot better. I have a 64GB mSATA and one stick of 8GB RAM in there. i am curious as to what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2013-11-05, 23:19)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Mine should be here Thursday. Ordered from Rakuten.com (formerly buy.com) since I had $100 in credit (Amazon had it too) :

http://www.rakuten.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=254524344

Didnt realize the extra "1" at the end of the model number means I get a US power cord - so generous of intel this time! Smile

Ernie
A List of compatible DIMMs:

Intel - http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034475.htm

CMT - http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/memCertPartS...mit=Search

In this Review the first 5 tested DIMMs were not compatible with the new NUC:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/kompl...im-test/2/
(2013-11-03, 22:44)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]debug log

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=81077

Still happenning. Any help greatly appreciated.

(also posted in help section)
Can someone please tell me if the crushed blacks issue has now been resolved with the release of openelec 3.2.3?
I have been delaying the move from windows solely for this reason so would be awesome if it had.

Also before I wipe my windows install and make the switch, would appreciate a heads up from current users - are there any bugs when using intel i3? RC6 remote issues/ waking from sleep/ bitstreaming etc Don't fancy wasting my time tonight making the switch if it is going to cause headaches!

Thanks
@wgards8: you can boot OE from USB without "touching" your current Windows configuration and try.
Report results back, please. I would do it but dont own NUC anymore for months, because of the same reason.
But you can also go with software decoding... in this case everything is OK, except some very "heavy" videos cant cope.
Even the fans does not switch on when playing... the fans turned on only in AeonNox skin.

In the next 10 days I will hopefully get NUC i5 4th gen. I will be happy to report anything I can and you all need to know on this forum.

Regards