Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why? You got OpenElec! Smile
(2014-03-27, 21:47)JDEaston Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the help, the issue with not being able to get into the bios turned out to be a keyboard problem. Talked to Intel and they said for me to slide a jumper over inside the unit that forces it to boot to the bios. After doing thatand using the link you provided for epenelec, I am up and running. Have not had much time to play around with it, but so far this machine is amazing. Now I just need to find a way to get windows up and running.

You'll be disappointed in Windows after running OpenElec. NUC i3 icw OpenElec is a match made in heaven. I wish I'd made the switch to OE earlier.
Openelec and this machine are both amazing.. I don't want windows for anything other than to have an operating system, I may not even use it, and if I don't use it much I would revert back to openelec, its great. So far this nuc running openelec has surpassed my expectations. But once my old pc aged, we didn't buy another, we just use tablets and phones now, so we don't have a legit pc in the house. That's my only reason for wanting to give windows a try. If I decide to install windows, it has nothing to do with me not being happy with openelec. Honestly I don't even like windows much. Thanks again for the help though, from reading about it I knew this machine was a good one.
openelec is an operating system.
I think he means an Desktop Environment
Yeah I meant as a full fledged operating system.. I can probably get by without windows, I have for a while now. The more I use this with openelec, the less I want to try windows. I assume its possible to install two SSD's on this unit? Could I run windows on one and openelec on the other?
You can dual boot on the same disk, assuming it has room for windows.
Thanks nickr..when I installed openelec it said it would wipe the disk clean, so I assumed it would need its own drive.. I know little to nothing about this mind you, thanks again for everyone's patience. So I guess I can install windows now on the same SSD? It should have plently of space for both.
Maybe you might want to use an Linux Desktop - XBMCBuntu: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189553
Thanks for the links guys. A friend of mine has an image of windows on a USB drive I can use to install it. I actually bought and downloaded a copy of linux the other night, I just need to read up on the installation process. It's been so long since I've used a desktop that it'll take some time, but it'll come back to me. For now though, I am happy with just having openelec.
D'oh!

Wrong thread, this is for the older NUC, which I have as well. Sorry.
Hi guys, this is my first post so go easy! Hopefully I've put this in the right place...

I've just started using XBMC and I think it's amazing so I want to use dedicated hardware as a HTPC. I'm seriously considering purchasing a NUC to use as my HTPC and I was wondering if someone could provide me with some information please.

Bit of usage info first:
I want to build a HTPC solely to run XBMC - I will be running all the video files from a 2TB external hard drive but I will want to do some light streaming too (e.g. watch movie trailers for the ones I have and stream LiveOnlineFooty using the add-on).

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi but ideally I'd want 3 USB slots (1 = HDD access, 1 = Mouse / Keyboard / Remote, 1 = USB WiFi for Pi) for this device. I'm also unsure if it'd perform as well as I'd like it to. Quite a few of the video files I have are 720 / 1080p, though I won't be watching any in 3D, and I'd like to use a 'heavy skin' - Aeon Nox.

The Intel NUCs seem like a good, affordable HTPC to set up to achieve this and after searching around, I settled on the DC3217BY.

I estimate the cost as follows:
Intel NUC DC3217BY ~ £130
SO-Dimm RAM (4GB) ~ £20
32GB mSATA SSD ~ £30
Mini PCIe WiFi ~ £10

Total ~ £190

I'd also be running OpenELEC as it seems that most people recommend that for Intel NUCs.

Anyway I'll get around to my questions...
Do you think this is the best HTPC set up to match my needs? Or is there anything better suited / more affordable?

Reading through the thread, I noticed a lot of issues raised with the temperature, fan noise and auto turning on/off (with a remote) with the NUCs. I will admit that I did skim through (there are 152 pages!) this thread so can anyone tell me if these issues have been resolved or if there is an easy fix for them? I don't fancy shelling out quite a bit of money on a new NUC case though. Also is it easy enough to get a remote that will work well with the NUCs on XBMC? They're the only things really holding me back from purchasing this set up now but I think they're all pretty vital.

Thanks in advance.
You don't need a mouse for XBMC, in fact it is counterproductive.
Yeah that was just to be used with Raspberry Pi, not with the Nuc, I'd get a remote to use with that.